Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 06:43 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,202,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBee2010 View Post
A huge segment of the indigenous D.C. Blacks reside in substandard housing, where generational poverty, out of wedlock children and overall depravity are the norm.

In all honesty, they are unable to conceive that their entire mindset is pathological because they have no understanding of any other type of existence. Sadly, their children often proclaim, "Marriage is for White People." And in truth, that may very well be the case within their immediate depraved environment.

It's difficult reaching these types of people because they have such low self esteem and virtually no expectations. They simply learn to accept their fate because (for them) 'that's just the way it is' and 'it's really no big deal.'
LOL; now I'm started to think you're becoming a troll. So, now you're attacking DC residents? While it is true that many blacks in DC live in public housing, I don't agree with your overall assessment. From your take, I'd venture to guess that you didn't grow up in these areas and are only going off of news report. Here's something you might not know: Living in public housing doesn't always equal criminality.

I grew up in the projects of DC and still visit certain areas of SE on a fairly regular basis. I've never once heard a black kid say "Marriage is for White People". That is absolutely ridiculous.

Good luck with your movement. With your obvious disdain for the black people that you claim to want to help, I doubt it'll get far off the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 06:43 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,995,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
It seems to be a tough egg to crack. I think if both sides, the "good black men" and the "good black women" sat down and stated clearly want they want, there wouldn't be this sense of frustration among black women. Or is such a sit down necessary when both sides can "move on" and open up their dating pool?
Agreed, the difficulty would be in filtering out the ones who think they are good, from the ones who are kinda good from those who are genuinely good.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
black and engaged.
Didn't answer in full. Not sure why the need for mystery, but congrats to you.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:51 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,114,734 times
Without reading through all these post, the problem is a cultural issue. It can be traced to hip hop music, the WB network, the upn Network, Mtv, and other media entertainment sources that have brainwashed and poorly influenced Black America. I am not just singling out Blacks as sitcoms like the old show Friends, Reality TV, and pop music in general have negatively influenced Caucasions and others.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:52 PM

139 posts, read 169,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I find it annoying when the OP doesn't answer questions:

Why do you think getting married makes a man more committed?

Married men can be very irresponsible and 50% of marriages end in divorce.
I'm beginning to sound like a broken record. Again, I'm advocating for black women to vet men correctly and forgo having children until marriage.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:55 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,995,149 times
ChocLot]
Quote:
Yes, but what sort of men attract these types of women? Who are they that their experiences are relegated to the actions of these sort of women?
I can't speak on their experiences entirely, only the times that I have personally talked to them about it and have observed them out in social scenes looking for women. And yes, generally they are in what some would consider a "middle class" black setting. No house parties or club 40/40.
Quote:
And I'm sure you are aware that gold diggers come in all shades, correct?
Probably not. And that's probably because they weren't looking for them to begin with.
Quote:
I'm not saying that this isn't something that doesn't happen. It does. But, to blame an unknown black woman for the fault of another seems a bit immature and unfair. Again, if I blamed a black man and cast him in the same light as good-for-nothing black men, wouldn't that be unfair?
See, I could see if they were making sweeping generalizations about women they they've never been with. But I believe they are referring to women specifically that they have encountered that many on this board would have identified as "good black women" at first glance. I remember it like it was yesterday for example...I informed a long time friend of mine over the holidays that I was engaged, he said his "congrats",

I thanked him in return, and I jokingly asked "so when are you going to finally settle down?"

and his response was something like "I meet women all the time, but, there's nothing really out there..." and then he went to talk about how some of these 'good women' had kids, bad attitudes, were interested in him, but were too overweight etc etc. The words "black women" never came out of his mouth, but because that's all he's interested in, I knew what he was referring to as a black man.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:56 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,263,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBee2010 View Post
I'm beginning to sound like a broken record. Again, I'm advocating for black women to vet men correctly and forgo having children until marriage.
And the men's responsibility in all of this?

You are only looking at one side of the problem. Unless both men and women (or boys and girls) change, there won't be any men for the women to select.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
As I've read through this thread, I've seen a number of intelligent, eye-opening opinions expressed in a way that makes one want to do whatever they can to support a "No wedding, No womb" movement ... or anything else that has some possibility of slowing this horrific tide of out-of-wedlock births in the black community.

A couple of things I've observed over the years, that don't seem to have been addressed straight-on yet in this thread include:

a). There seems to be an attitude of 'accomplishment and pride' among young, black, out-of-wedlock mothers ... as well as among young black men who point to the multiple babies they have fathered with any number of women. (What is this about?)

b). For years, the government has incentivized having more out-of-wedlock babies, by increasing the amount of welfare paid in proportion to the number of children she has. What would happen if someone woke-up and said, "After one out-of-wedlock baby, the welfare check will be CUT by a significant proportion for every subsequent birth"? -- Or perhaps an incentive in homes where the father stayed around and tried to be a father.

c). A large number of young black men (as evidenced by rates of incarceration, school dropouts and drug-selling subculture growth) have bought into the notion that America is hopeless for the black man. By the time they get old enough to realize that the impulsive choices of their youth have destroyed their lives ... it's often too late to change anything.
The "No wedding, No womb" movement sounds perfectly reasonable and if the owner finally reaches her target demographic, she may have much success.

Re: your points:

a) I have yet to meet a black woman who is proud to be a baby momma of many children. Of those that are content in their downtrodden positions I've found that the woman are sometimes doing it because it negates their need to work. A baby is often a way for poor women to get their own housing, food stamps and a monthly check. Unfortunately for many, this is the "coming of age" lesson that is passed down through generations. I HAVE found that some men (boys really) think it's a sign of their masculinity/virility to have fathered multiple children (the more mothers the better). Again, this is more to do with age and immaturity than anything else.

b) I am 100% for welfare reform. I think that if what you suggest were to ever happen, the number of OOW children would dramatically decrease. Unfortunately, the current welfare system setup rewards bad behavior and gives absolutely no incentive for people to marry before having children. I do still maintain that many of these so-called "single mothers" are really in LTR with these fathers, but choose not to marry because it will discontinue their state benefits.

c) I don't buy that young black boys think that America has nothing for them. For the most part, the ones that are degenerates are that way because they want to be. They sell drugs because they want fast money (usually to impress girls or show-off and prove their masculinity). In essence, they are young and dumb. They have no positive male role models and are taught how to be men, from guys that don't know how to be men themselves. Unless drastic steps are taken to get these young boys out of their destructive environments, this will be a slow cycle to break.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Without reading through all these post, the problem is a cultural issue. It can be traced to hip hop music, the WB network, the upn Network, Mtv, and other media entertainment sources that have brainwashed and poorly influenced Black America. I am not just singling out Blacks as sitcoms like the old show Friends, Reality TV, and pop music in general have negatively influenced Caucasions and others.
Music has been blamed for the degenerate nature of kids, probably since the beginnings of time. Parents in the 50's/60's/70's/80's and so forth all had genres which they thought were sending their kids straight to hell. Rather than blame hip-hop, blame yourselves. If my son turns out "bad", I'll fault myself not Lil Wayne.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:05 PM

139 posts, read 169,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
LOL; now I'm started to think you're becoming a troll. So, now you're attacking DC residents? While it is true that many blacks in DC live in public housing, I don't agree with your overall assessment. From your take, I'd venture to guess that you didn't grow up in these areas and are only going off of news report. Here's something you might not know: Living in public housing doesn't always equal criminality.

I grew up in the projects of DC and still visit certain areas of SE on a fairly regular basis. I've never once heard a black kid say "Marriage is for White People". That is absolutely ridiculous.

Good luck with your movement. With your obvious disdain for the black people that you claim to want to help, I doubt it'll get far off the ground.
When a person (of any race) points out a glaring pathology which plagues far too many black inner city communities (i.e. out of wedlock births, the dissolution of marriage, etc), certain blacks become alarmed. Sadly, they are not really troubled by the actual problem, they are more alarmed with the person(s) who draw attention to the issue.

Lastly, you are incorrect. I do not have disdain for black people. I do however have disdain for detractors who attempt to sabotage constructive dialogue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies