U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 12:03 PM

15,093 posts, read 12,798,744 times

Advertisements

Even Bachmann was out repeating this load of crap in public not long ago. I've heard this articulated on this forum as well. I heard it again just recently, and it just burns me up. "Oh, the gays have equal rights and the playing field is level...they just have to marry a person of the opposite sex, same as me. See? No discrimination at all!"

ba boom, crash. Nice joke. Thank you, I'll be here all week. Try the veal, it's great.

The key right at stake here is obviously the right to be in a legally recognized union with a mature person of orientation that you desire to be with.

It's like telling a black person in the 1800s, "Oh, you have the exact same rights under the law as I do; all you have to do is be white-skinned, not black - see? I have to abide by the same law." Or telling a woman at the turn of the century that she has the same equal right to vote as men do...so long as she grows a penis and gets rid of her ovaries.

How CONVENIENT, of course, that "the law" just so happens to favor their skin / sexual orientation...

I still can't fathom how anyone over the age of, say, ten can't tell the obvious logical fallacy with this. So the question to me is: are those people who repeat this really that stupid, or are they being willfully ignorant hypocrites because their rigid beliefs force them to accept blindness to reason? I'm really on the fence on this one.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 12:06 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,469,397 times
I'm a conservative who supports gay rights, gay marriage and even gay adoption. There's no reason why we as a people should look down on anyone with a minor mental disorder who otherwise function fine in life. Gay people should be treated equally, it's just that simple.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:07 PM

35,710 posts, read 39,272,786 times
I've only heard that argument being made in a derogatory manner. I don't think anyone who is actually having a serious conversation on the subject would go there. It completely ignores the other side of the equation, being the straight person who is stuck married to a homosexual. That's too much REAL for anyone to joke about.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:13 PM

11,531 posts, read 9,842,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I'm a conservative who supports gay rights, gay marriage and even gay adoption.
Your post just destroyed the premise of this other thread on a similar subject

Those against gay marriage are more likely to be racists

Old 01-15-2012, 12:23 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,969,959 times
Quote:
I'm a conservative who supports gay rights, gay marriage and even gay adoption. There's no reason why we as a people should look down on anyone with a minor mental disorder who otherwise function fine in life. Gay people should be treated equally, it's just that simple.
Are you suggesting that homosexuals have a mental disorder?

Old 01-15-2012, 12:23 PM

13,749 posts, read 9,152,041 times
If gay people have the right to marry straight people of the opposite sex, how come straight people don't get the right to marry gay people of the same sex?

Two can play at this twisted game of logic.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:24 PM

26,666 posts, read 27,480,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I'd rather they think that homosexuals have a mental disorder than to harass and bully them. At least it's a more compassionate opinion.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:25 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,469,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Are you suggesting that homosexuality is a choice a person makes? Why would anyone choose to be gay?

Old 01-15-2012, 12:27 PM

2,839 posts, read 3,360,090 times
It is not a federal question. The right of a person to be married exists only as provided under state (not federal) law. Each state has the sovereign power to enact laws governing marriage; and provided that such laws do not infringe upon a citizen’s rights under the Fourteenth Amendment, they are valid and enforceable. See Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967).

Old 01-15-2012, 12:29 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,969,959 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that homosexuality is a choice a person makes? Why would anyone choose to be gay?
No one chooses their sexual orientation.

So you are suggesting such. Pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies