Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 06:14 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why should invertment income thats only earning less than 5% be taxed at 15% or more

why should ANY tax be more than 15%

why are liberals so greedy
You had me up until your last statement about liberals.

A lot of us are socially liberal, but very fiscally conservative. I would like a tax system without the favoritism that exists now for the poor and the rich. We are taxed at every turn for every dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 06:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
lol, yes, even at today's piddly low interest rates, I'm still taxed on it.
so then you earn more than $400 per year in interest on your savings? if so then why are you not also investing heavily in the stock market and other areas where you would get taxed as a capital gains, rather than as income?

capital gains taxes are put on a number of items, the house you bought, stocks, bonds, etc. these are taxed at a lower rate to encourage investment, and to encourage turn over in these areas. for instance, lets say you invest in IBM stock, and lets say the stock went up 40% in 18 months. if you just let the stock languish, you might end up losing money if the market tanks, and the stock then drops below what you initially paid for the stock, where as lets say you cashed out at its peak, you then have made money. that money is then taxed at 15% to encourage you to reinvest the money somewhere else.

this is also useful if you bought a house, invested some money into it to make it nice, and then sold the house for a profit. this would give you more money to go out and buy another house to do the same thing. if you were taxed at regular income rates, you would likely not invest the money, but rather let it languish in a savings account where is does little work.

taxing investment income at lower rates encourages money to flow through the system, and that flow actually creates more tax revenue in the long run.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
You had me up until your last statement about liberals.

A lot of us are socially liberal, but very fiscally conservative. I would like a tax system without the favoritism that exists now for the poor and the rich. We are taxed at every turn for every dollar.
the poor can also take advantage of capital investments to increase their income. it wouldnt be large amounts at first, but as a friend of mine once said, " a lot of little moneys make up a large money". pick up a little money here and there, and before you know it, you have a fair amount of money to deal with. and if you are careful with that money, you can increase it even more, to the point where you can join the millionaires club, if you play your cards right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies