Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 02:41 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
The poor in blue states are often red state refugees who specifically went there for better social services. So that increases the number of poor in blue areas by subtracting them from red areas.

It's not like there are fewer homeless in red states because people are thinking, "welp, I'd better pull myself up by my bootstraps and work real hard because no one is gonna help me!" LOL

Because most people already do the best they can, but sometimes it's not enough.
"I'm poor and want a fresh start so getting out of this state and moving to my dream state....New Jersey."

Gee, yeah I'm sure we've all heard that one at least hundreds of times! I think you're confusing NJ with FL and CA.

I'd be curious to see you support your poor people migratory theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 02:42 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
While blue states may be wealthy, they are also the states of haves and have nots. I don't notice much of that blue blood money finding it's way in to the poor areas of any major cities in those blue states. In fact it appears the gap between poor and rich is most evident in states like Massachusetts and California. The rich democrats love to have the poor around, to clean their pools and do their yards.
Was there a competition to resurrect the dumbest, oldest thread on the forum?

Old 09-03-2019, 07:50 PM

1,138 posts, read 449,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Was there a competition to resurrect the dumbest, oldest thread on the forum?

I didn't notice how old it was. Sorry about that, Chief!

Old 09-03-2019, 07:55 PM

5,110 posts, read 2,050,817 times
Since when the ANC in South Africa is conservative?

Old 09-03-2019, 08:44 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Does anyone else notice that almost all Third World countries have very conservative societies whereas almost all First world countries tend to have societies that are liberal?

The statistics are stunning. It seems like conservatism in a society is directly proportional with a low standard of living whereas the opposite is true for liberalism. The more conservative a society, the more likely it is to be plagued with things like: crime, poverty, illiteracy, inequality, political instability etc. On the other hand, the more liberal a society the more likely it is to be blessed with low crime rates, high levels of education, wealth, political stability, and less inequality among its citizens.

In fact if you study the Human Development Index (HDI) of countries around the world, you'll see that the most liberal countries - Norway, Sweden, Canada - consistently have the highest development rankings. On the other hand countries with the most conservative societies e.g. Pakistan, Nigeria, Uganda - consistently have the lowest development rankings.

It would be fair to make the deduction that a prerequisite of been a Third World country is having a conservative society and the a prerequisite of been considered a First World country is having a liberal society. Adding validity to my theory, even America which is considered to be fairly conservative among first world nations would be classed as wildly liberal among Third World Countries.

I know many conservatives will not be happy with this finding but the facts are there for all to see. Why do you think this pattern exists throughout the world?

Please stop all this nonsense already.

All these "advanced societies" were extremely conservative, when they colonized/took advantage/outperformed third world countries.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:16 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It is true that the happiest people in the world live in countries that are:

1. Socially liberal

2. Provide a generous economic safety net for their citizens
Then why do migrants from Central and South America want to come to the USA and not Sweden, Denmark or Canada?

Old 01-03-2020, 07:55 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
How's this for a response? The richest, most successful, and stable nation the planet has ever seen or likely ever will see is a conservative nation.
And yet the conservative party here has only won the popular vote in a Presidential election once since 1988...

Old 01-03-2020, 07:57 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
::

Yeah, like those high earning, well educated voters in the inner cities that always vote Republican and make up such a large percent of the Republican base.
Actually those inner city Democrats you so lovingly refer to tend to be strong social conservatives.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:51 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,720,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Conservative or liberal in what way? Economics? Social?

Which definition? There is no real fixed definition of liberal nor conservative, other than the basic political science 101 definition.

How are you determining who is liberal or conservative? Is it an all or nothing item? Is it impossible to say be pro-choice yet strictly against illegal immigration or even most legal immigration? Are any of those liberal or conservative views? Is it possible to advocate for universal health care, yet advocate against food stamps? Or all for gay right yet think transsexuals are mental cases and should have no special rights beyond what a mentally disabled person would have? What label would apply to a person of such thoughts?
This

Old 05-23-2022, 10:00 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
The liberalism in first world countries is largely concentrated in urban centers. Even in blue states, most of the state is red. It's the big cities that make the state blue. For example, most of Washington State is conservative. The bulk of the liberals live in Seattle. Liberals say they have a better quality of life, yet it is liberal cities where most crime, violence, and gangs are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies