Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 07:56 AM

18,454 posts, read 8,282,661 times

Advertisements

Well, if you sell someone a drug that you know is going to kill them.....that's murder....right?

"What it means is that the penalties for dealing fentanyl or methamphetamine give prosecutors the option of charging drug dealers with first-degree murder if an overdose leads to death. If convicted the drug dealer could face life in prison or the death penalty."

"The dangerous man-made drug is 50 to 300 times more potent than morphine. Many overdose victims don’t even realize they’ve taken it."

“We have folks buying pills stamped M30 to look like oxycodone. It’s not oxycodone,” Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said. “It’s got binders in it and fentanyl. So they’re taking the oxycodone, right? They’re getting an overdose of fentanyl.”

“I truly believe that if you are intentionally giving someone something that you know is going to kill them, it is a murder,” Mike Itani, whose son died of a fentanyl overdose, said."

https://conservativebrief.com/dealer...m=ProTrumpNews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 07:59 AM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
This works pretty well in some Asian countries, doesn't it?

Old 05-22-2022, 08:02 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
First degree murder requires intent.

You can't just have negligence, and get the death penalty.

Locally we just lost two high school students to a fentanyl overdose, after their dealer texted them a warning; apparently he learned after selling them that they were tainted and would kill them if they used them. They did it anyway.

I don't know what you can do about this situation, in cases like that.

I agree that whoever is tainting the drugs on purpose to kill people have intent; but the dealer himself, who may not have any idea the drugs are tainted doesn't have intent.

Old 05-22-2022, 08:08 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
This works pretty well in some Asian countries, doesn't it?
It did during the Chinese opium wars. The Chinese were offing users by the thousands. The dealers were the British Empire.

Old 05-22-2022, 08:11 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
For fentanyl , I may support that penalty in some cases I sure do support long prison time. I DO NOT support mandatory sentencing, I believe one size fits all laws are flawed and that judges should have say in sentencing based on particular cases.

The thing is since fentanyl became so wide spread, certain unscrupulous drug dealers put it in all sorts of drugs now even in marijuana , people buying MJ or cocaine and so on may not be aware of the fentanyl being laced in it and there have been many overdoses because. This one more reason to fully legalize marijuana IMO.

Ten years ago there was the major opiate pill epidemic like oxicodone and dilaudid, then government cracked down on that so opiate addicts turned to heroin and since now that fentanyl is cheaper and more powerful it has become wide spread. Fact is addicts were safer with getting the prescription pills but now also dealers are purposely putting fentanyl in all kinds of drugs even in meth and not telling people.

I'm a republican voter by the way, conservative many times but on this I support legalization of MJ, government supported access to rehabilitation because that will help people beat addiction, and I do not support short sighted mandatory sentencing that is one size fits all and ties the hands of judges based on individual cases.

Old 05-22-2022, 08:15 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,992,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
First degree murder requires intent.

You can't just have negligence, and get the death penalty.

Locally we just lost two high school students to a fentanyl overdose, after their dealer texted them a warning; apparently he learned after selling them that they were tainted and would kill them if they used them. They did it anyway.

I don't know what you can do about this situation, in cases like that.

I agree that whoever is tainting the drugs on purpose to kill people have intent; but the dealer himself, who may not have any idea the drugs are tainted doesn't have intent.

You can if the law is written that way. Drug dealers know their product causes hard including death. That is intent.

Old 05-22-2022, 08:19 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
You can if the law is written that way. Drug dealers know their product causes hard including death. That is intent.
yep agreed yes it is, intent to cut a product saving money for them and to purposely hook people. Also not disclosing that fentanyl is in it is knowing putting people at a largely increased threat. The kids at the spring break in Miami who bought cocaine laced with fentanyl and who died because is a example.

Old 05-22-2022, 08:23 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
There are 305 inmates on death row in Florida. The last time the state executed someone was 2019.

https://www.wptv.com/news/state/5-th...lty-in-florida

Obviously the intent to apply the death penalty is more about creating a public perception of “ doing something” than having an impact on business as usual- a political stunt.

Those purchasing hard drugs off the street are at substantially higher risk of premature death than the individuals who sell / traffic the drugs.

Old 05-22-2022, 08:25 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times
Drug dealers are criminals and should be punished but death penalty because a addict customer od's?

Yes drug dealers and smugglers are criminals that purposely ignore the law, kill competitors, bribe officials etc and are some of the most greedy people on the planet. But their customer junkies are some of the most selfish constantly seeking personal gratification. Yes a drug dealer could be negligent with their product but so could the user. Why would a drug dealer kill of their customers

Old 05-22-2022, 08:25 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
Will this include the 12 year old runners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies