Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:00 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,785 times

Advertisements

I can work when I damn well want to and if this lady ever moves to Nevada and needs a job, I hope she looks me up!

Chicago Woman Fired for Doing Work at Lunch Wins Unemployment Claim - Yahoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 03:42 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
I think I would be willing to create a position for this woman, even if I didn't have an opening. I wish all my employees were that dedicated.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:12 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
You'd be setting yourself up for liability; labor laws require that workers who have an unpaid lunch not be required to perform any of their job duties during that time. If that employee voluntarily (wink, wink) worked during lunch break, and then decided you were a bad employer for whatever reason, you could then be sued and fined.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:14 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
You'd be setting yourself up for liability; labor laws require that workers who have an unpaid lunch not be required to perform any of their job duties during that time. If that employee voluntarily (wink, wink) worked during lunch break, and then decided you were a bad employer for whatever reason, you could then be sued and fined.
That is true but if my business ever gets where we need to hire one, she will work 9 to 5 with a PAID lunch from 12 to 1. That way, if she has work to complete and she wants to work and eat at her desk, no problem for me or my partners.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:06 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
What was up with her eating breakfast at her desk? Sounds like THAT might have been the real cause.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
the only thing is that federal law requires that employers allow employees that are full time to take a 15min break every four hours, and be allowed to take 1/2 hour for lunch. it does NOT require that the employee actually take those breaks.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Legally, "lunch hour" could mean liability issues if one remains on the job during that time and gets injured in some way.

BTW, I was in nonprofit management and marketing and was the only employee. I routinely worked through lunch hour, and overtime into evenings and on many weekends voluntarily without pay. The volume of work would not have gotten done otherwise. My "bosses," idiot board members, neither noticed nor cared nor would they hire another staff member when requested.

Can I too come work for you, Vegas? (Never been that far West)

Old 01-17-2012, 08:51 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the only thing is that federal law requires that employers allow employees that are full time to take a 15min break every four hours, and be allowed to take 1/2 hour for lunch. it does NOT require that the employee actually take those breaks.
No, but if the break is taken in the form of clocking out, but the employee continues working, that's a liability to the employer. We had this issue at my last outside job, where the women in the office (never the men, oh, no) had to answer phones, etc. during unpaid lunch. The boss was advised by his attorney to discontinue this practice.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
No, but if the break is taken in the form of clocking out, but the employee continues working, that's a liability to the employer. We had this issue at my last outside job, where the women in the office (never the men, oh, no) had to answer phones, etc. during unpaid lunch. The boss was advised by his attorney to discontinue this practice.
i do agree with you on that. once an employee has clocked out for lunch, they should be away from their desk.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:43 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,638 times
She was fired for insubordination more than anything. Your boss tells you to take a break, you better do it if you want to keep your job. She repeatedly refused to follow direct orders even after given numerous opportunities to comply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies