Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,964,746 times

Advertisements

1/17/12

Now I've heard it all. I mean, I already know our gov't funds ridiculous studies like the one(s) on Chinese prostitutes (really, no kidding), but now I hear on NPR we've been funding Sesame Street in Israel and Palestine and now we've cut the funding to Palestine for the show. (Something like $2.5 million for each).

Not going to comment on the Palestine move, but I'd like to know where else in the world we are funding Sesame Street and other TV shows, all while our Social Security system and Medicare, etc. plus help for the poor in our own country is headed down the tubes. Am I on the right planet?

Anyone else outraged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 04:34 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,454,913 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ing-spent.html

In Pakistan too. I made a thread about this last month. When I first saw your thread title, I thought it was a duplicate. I guess I was wrong.

The absurdity never ceases to amaze me.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:47 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,012 times
Just one of the 1,000 paper cut reasons (as well as few chainsaw reasons) I will probably be voting for Ron Paul.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:10 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,157,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ing-spent.html

In Pakistan too. I made a thread about this last month. When I first saw your thread title, I thought it was a duplicate. I guess I was wrong.

The absurdity never ceases to amaze me.
Dead.

US ends funding for Pakistan 'Sesame Street'

The United States has cancelled funding for Pakistan's version of the children's television series "Sesame Street," saying it had received credible allegations of fraud and corruption in the production of the popular Muppet programme.

Imagine that.

Toner said USAID had originally allocated $20 million to produce the show -- which premiered in late 2011 and is known as "Sim Sim Hamara" in Pakistan -- and that about $6.7 million of this had already been spent.

Probably won't be getting a refund on that. We kinda need the loot right now.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:48 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Sesame Street has made millions and millions if not billions of dollars over the last 40 years. The franchise alone should be able to support PBS and it's spread into other countries.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:53 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sesame Street has made millions and millions if not billions of dollars over the last 40 years. The franchise alone should be able to support PBS and it's spread into other countries.
Why should they? when they can get our brain dead leaders to fork over the loot. If Big Bird wants to go global let him do it on his own dime, as noted they have millions.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:59 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Sesame Street is used as a peace-making mission in countries where there's ethnic conflict. Local community leaders have major input into the show adaptation so that it meets the unique needs of the society receiving the show. Bosnian, Serbian and Kosovar community activists all had input into the show's adaptation for the former Yugoslavia, and each ethnicity was represented in the show. (Working on the show was a valuable exercise for the adults, who had to learn to get along with each other for the sake of the children.) Child safety issues unique to the area were built into the show on the request of the local leaders, such as teaching children not to touch unexploded bombs they might find in their environment. This is why the program was important to Palestinians and Israelis. Sesame Street executives receive requests from countries who express a need for the show in order to build goodwill among nationalities in conflict and to keep children safe.

The US gov't's foreign aid department (USAID, which funds these projects) regards this as constructive foreign policy that shows the positive side of US culture. That is USAID's mission.

US citizens who feel that the percentage of the federal budget that goes to foreign aid should be cut back may address their concerns to their representatives in Congress. Enormous cutbacks in foreign aid spending already took place during the Republican-dominated Congress during the Clinton administration, when support for the government "area foundations" that direct US foreign aid abroad (Asia Foundation, Inter-America Foundation, Africa Foundation, Eurasia Foundation) was slashed to the point that those entities were forced to appeal to charitable foundations (Ford, Rockefeller, MacArthur, etc.) just to pay staff salaries. I wouldn't worry that too much money's being spent on foreign aid.

US foreign aid helps set the foundation for peace abroad, and for goodwill toward the US. A much greater concern should be the amount of money spent on war, which trashes the US image abroad and creates hostility toward the US.

Social Security funding does not come from the same source as foreign aid funding. Social Security, as I'm sure all members know, comes from the SS payroll tax. Cutting foreign aid will have absolutely no effect on Social Security funding.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-08-2012 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-08-2012, 09:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Yeah..let's fund Sesame Street for them while our drones are flying overhead.
Sure..the US is all about "peace".

Old 06-08-2012, 09:04 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,142,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yeah..let's fund Sesame Street for them while our drones are flying overhead.
Sure..the US is all about "peace".
They can drop bombs and Elmo dvd's at the same time.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:13 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,674,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
1/17/12

Now I've heard it all. I mean, I already know our gov't funds ridiculous studies like the one(s) on Chinese prostitutes (really, no kidding), but now I hear on NPR we've been funding Sesame Street in Israel and Palestine and now we've cut the funding to Palestine for the show. (Something like $2.5 million for each).

Not going to comment on the Palestine move, but I'd like to know where else in the world we are funding Sesame Street and other TV shows, all while our Social Security system and Medicare, etc. plus help for the poor in our own country is headed down the tubes. Am I on the right planet?

Anyone else outraged?
Yes, many of us are.

It's all about setting priorities and getting a proper focus on what the purpose and function of the federal should be. We spend way too much taxpayer money on non important things like this, when we have a fiscal and economic crisis on our hands.

Our EPA tosses around billions in taxpayer funded grants. Why?

The EPA grants are only one small fraction of wasteful federal spending, during a national crisis. Can't we suspend this type of spending until we get our fiscal house in order and get our economy back on track?

EPA - Grant Awards Database - All Grant Awards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies