Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 03:51 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
I defend the young lady, not by way of the First Amendment, but by this magical thing called common sense.

Common sense dictates that a school is no place for religion.

Though.... I find it interesting that you bring up that people who defend her are "enemies of the first amendment" because neither scenario of a school putting up nor taking down a religious mural even remotely touches the first amendment. In case you missed it, I'll italicize the important part you skipped.

"Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof".

And last I checked, a school is not congress.

So just as those who point to the First Amendment for taking it down are "enemies of the First Amendment", that title also includes those who point to the First Amendment as a scapegoat to post their insecure religious mantra everywhere.
I guess it comes down to how the SCOTUS has interpreted the clause. Case law clearly says thing like this don't belong in a public school. Case closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 03:51 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
this young woman is just starting, not only does she stand behind what she believes, she takes action and is involved in her community. as Einstein's Ghost said many people don't do what she has already done at 80. She is a stellar young woman who can be and do anything she sets her mind to. perhaps even become POTUS one day
Better check her birth certificate

Old 01-18-2012, 03:54 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
This statement is just proving my point about you. Thanks. ()
spit out what is on your mind girl. if you have something to say say it.

last week you were patting yourself on the back for talking your views and standing up to adults who may not like it. this young woman has done far more then post on an forum. you could take a page from her playbook dear.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Extraordinarily insecure.
you can't be insecure to what this young women did.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Extraordinarilly narcissistic

It's in vogue to play the minority athiest who can't be exposed to anything religious in their daily lives. Their heads might explode and we can't have exploding heads all over the place!! Well, in a small percentage of the places, anyway.

Funny thing is their absolute belief in No God is actually more controlling than monotheistic religion has ever been. When they win in such a ridiculous fashion, the next thing will be removing crosses from church steeples. Wait until they truly become extreme and want to drive all religion out of existence, for the common good of course.
keep your prayers in church, your home it is not supposed to be in the schools. I have a feeling you only support this prayer in view because it is Christian. lets put up something from the Koran. do you want that in your school?

what chicken little, the sky is falling thinking. all these terrible atheists are going to wipe religion off the face of the earth.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:07 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
keep your prayers in church, your home it is not supposed to be in the schools. I have a feeling you only support this prayer in view because it is Christian. lets put up something from the Koran. do you want that in your school?

what chicken little, the sky is falling thinking. all these terrible atheists are going to wipe religion off the face of the earth.

This ^^^^^^^

Old 01-18-2012, 04:09 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
This had nothing to do with the law. It was about her inability to handle exclusion.

There is no legal basis for the mural's removal based on this girl's hurt feelings. There IS, however, legal basis for the removal of the mural based on the separation of church and state.

So, which is the reason you think the judge ruled in this student's favor, again?

Old 01-18-2012, 04:40 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
You must be one of the naive people that I mentioned. Who cares if it has been there for 50 years, it was still designed to make a point of offending everyone that attended that school that was non-Christian.
No, not really because people 50 years ago weren't that petty.

Quote:
why assume she is bitter? there was nothing in the article that says she was bitter. one being an atheist or not does not make one bitter. get a grip
I agree with you here.

Quote:
spit out what is on your mind girl. if you have something to say say it.

last week you were patting yourself on the back for talking your views and standing up to adults who may not like it. this young woman has done far more then post on an forum. you could take a page from her playbook dear.
First, you don't know me so how can you assume that I haven't done anything in my community?
Second, I just find it funny that you praise her for standing up for her views and for "speak out against the man" but when young person who doesn't agree with you or believe the same things as you, you bash them for it. Just makes no sense.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:44 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
First, you don't know me so how can you assume that I haven't done anything in my community?
Second, I just find it funny that you praise her for standing up for her views and for "speak out against the man" but when young person who doesn't agree with you or believe the same things as you, you bash them for it. Just makes no sense.
Ever hear of the saying "If you are gonna talk the talk, you better be walking the walk"?
Anyone can say anything on the interwebz.
This young lady has actually done something.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:53 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The law is quite clear. We do NOT live in a Theocracy, this has no place whatsoever in a public school.
What law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies