Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 05:20 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times

Advertisements

Duplicate thread.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...x-dollars.html

Last edited by chielgirl; 01-20-2012 at 05:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 05:32 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Why should the government (us) have to pay for it? Especially when it honors people like Che and Castro?!

Someone told me you were a veteran, so, if you are, how could you think like that? Those people have hurt and killed so many.
BTW why don't you go to Cuba, then get back to me on how much "good" Castro has done.

It wasn't a question.
We've hurt and killed thousands more. Are you proud of that?
Are you proud of the damage this behavior did/does to the US daily?
How can you possibly think as you do?

Why don't you graduate from high school and get some real life experience and get back to me.
Maybe once you're on your own you'll be able to see the big picture and not get caught up in right wing radio and the Blaze.
As has been stated and provided in your link, these are just 2 images in the murals.

Castro did a lot of good, just keeping the US out of his country.
You might want to learn a little Cuban history, and not from a US right wing rags.
Many of my friends have visited Cuba and had a lovely time. Of course, they don't drink and breathe US propaganda.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:04 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Castro did a lot of good, just keeping the US out of his country.
You might want to learn a little Cuban history, and not from a US right wing rags.
Many of my friends have visited Cuba and had a lovely time. Of course, they don't drink and breathe US propaganda.
You make it sound as though Cuba is BETTER place to live than the US?!
To each his own but for the record.. 125,000 refugees in 1980 didn't feel the same way you do..

Old 01-20-2012, 06:14 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,220 times
This has nothing to do with art. If art of any form was worth it, people would ask to see it and more than likely pay to see it.

To display the pcitures of Che & Castro in any form of a mural or art that is paid for by publix tax dollars is irresponsible. These men were murders who fought for power in order to oppress people. Che was known to have killed hundreds of people by his own hand simply for speaking out against the regime.

If anyone thinks this is a good thing, then you sense of right and wrong is seriously warped. If they would like to teach that in public schools, it would mean more than producing bad art.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:20 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
To each his own but for the record.. 125,000 refugees in 1980 didn't feel the same way you do..
You are getting off-track. This isn't a discussion of Cuba or Castro. It's a discussion about renovating a park that has lots of art. Minor to the art is an depiction of Cuban leaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
This has nothing to do with art. If art of any form was worth it, people would ask to see it and more than likely pay to see it.

To display the pcitures of Che & Castro in any form of a mural or art that is paid for by publix tax dollars is irresponsible.
I don't think Publix Supermarkets had anything to do with the funding.

But the idea that any worthy art must be in a paid museum is not only elitist but contrary to history and culture. There is public art everywhere. Just visit Washington D.C.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:39 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
But the idea that any worthy art must be in a paid museum is not only elitist but contrary to history and culture. There is public art everywhere. Just visit Washington D.C.
Hey, if you want to create art and put it out there for people to see, fine with me. But why should the government and taxpayers pay for it? No one is saying that there cannot be art out there.

I think preserving art from the Dutch masters (to name a small group) or visting a museum (with paid admission) is fine.

But let people be the judge of what is worthy or not.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:49 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
Quote:
You are getting off-track. This isn't a discussion of Cuba or Castro. It's a discussion about renovating a park that has lots of art. Minor to the art is an depiction of Cuban leaders.

I don't think Publix Supermarkets had anything to do with the funding.

your right.. took a left turn when I shoulda took a right..

Personally I don't care if they repaint or touch up the murals of Che and Castro.. like many have said, those are just 2 of thousands.. i think we do have to be careful to not offend anyone... that would not be PC like painting the stars and bars on an underpass near Atlanta..

Old 01-20-2012, 08:15 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
your right.. took a left turn when I shoulda took a right..

Personally I don't care if they repaint or touch up the murals of Che and Castro.. like many have said, those are just 2 of thousands.. i think we do have to be careful to not offend anyone... that would not be PC like painting the stars and bars on an underpass near Atlanta..
I don't think there is any possible way to avoid offending someone with art, especially when you have people out there who are deliberately looking for something they can call offensive. Witness the OP's on both threads that are combined here.

I've seen photos of the murals; they are gorgeous. Someone on this thread called them "graffiti". Let me tell you, I've seen graffiti, and this ain't it.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:45 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Exactly, amazing how they're willing to swim with the sharks, just to get out of Cuba. Wonder why anyone from Cuba, would indure the hell of the ocean in a cardboard boat, just to get away from such a nice guy like Fidel Castro, as some claim.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:51 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Their in the mural, why shouldn't it be brought up. Just because Libs find it fine to have killers and oppressors in the art work. Doesn't mean others find those people, not a part of California's heritage and most defiantly not a part of America's history.

We as taxpayers should decide where our money goes. Another reason, for earmarks, to be taken out of bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies