Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:58 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
You make it sound as though Cuba is BETTER place to live than the US?!
To each his own but for the record.. 125,000 refugees in 1980 didn't feel the same way you do..
And?
They lost their land and were no longer the ruling class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 09:10 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
person, I am glad you came back to your thread. go back to your link and LOOK at the murals, take a moment or two with each picture. you are flunking art appreciation and it's significance to the world. this is art that reflects history, life and culture. you are blind if for you, this about 3 or 4 images of Che or Castro out of thousands of images and stories.

we have public art do you not think it should be cared for? do you support the arts or not?
I do support the arts, I am a painter myself, but I don't think that federal money should go to this at all. The state should pay for it, oh wait thats right THEY ARE BROKE! I have looked at all of the murals, and I have a B in art appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
We've hurt and killed thousands more. Are you proud of that?
Are you proud of the damage this behavior did/does to the US daily?
How can you possibly think as you do?

Why don't you graduate from high school and get some real life experience and get back to me.
Maybe once you're on your own you'll be able to see the big picture and not get caught up in right wing radio and the Blaze.
As has been stated and provided in your link, these are just 2 images in the murals.

Castro did a lot of good, just keeping the US out of his country.
You might want to learn a little Cuban history, and not from a US right wing rags.
Many of my friends have visited Cuba and had a lovely time. Of course, they don't drink and breathe US propaganda.
My mother has been friends with a woman for 30+ years. Her parents came from Cuba. Her mother still has nightmares of Castros soldiers. She lost family to them. Her father has to smuggle things in for his family when he goes there once every 2 years, because they have no food or money. They have told me that everyday a 5pm Castro shuts everything down for about a minute, just to let them all know that he still has power over them.
Why, if you obviously hate what America does and love Cuba, don't you go there then?
Your friends, I guarantee you, went to a tourist trap like Havana. Next time they go tell them to go to the slums and see how much of a "lovely time" they have then.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:18 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,076,221 times
Quote:
You pay taxes?
Aren't you still in high school?

You don't know much about history if you think neither Che nor Castro did any good.

You're so right, they can't hold a candle to freedom fighters.
Exactly

I would have rather spent 30 minutes in a one on one conversation with Che than any American politician or talking airhead like Rush that ever lived.

I could have learned more about life and compassion in those 30 minutes than a lifetime of listening to politicians or some pundits BS.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:21 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,010,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Hey, if you want to create art and put it out there for people to see, fine with me. But why should the government and taxpayers pay for it? No one is saying that there cannot be art out there.

I think preserving art from the Dutch masters (to name a small group) or visting a museum (with paid admission) is fine.

But let people be the judge of what is worthy or not.
art is subjective some may think the old master's are "hooey" and prefer abstract painters. why should taxpayers pay for public art, because it is out in the public for all to see.

public art generate the economy. non profit art organizations and artists generate over 166 billion dollars into the economy. over 5 million jobs are in the art fields which keeps people employed and they pays taxes as well.

public art can bring communities together. the process of the art, the repainting, such as the murals in the op is also important in community unity.

should the fine art murals of diego rivera be left to rot or removed because they contain a face or two that some would find offensive. what about a mural or sculpture that contains a boob or a butt?

perhaps we need citizens who can run around with a chisel or spray can to wipe out all art that someone might find offensive. sounds like for some who have posted in this thread the best place to start cleansing would be in the ethnic communities.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Welcome to the rest of the planet, where Americans aren't the only notable people in history.
Hey you into 50's cars and food lines for a pound of meat...go visit Fidel's paradise would you.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:29 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Hate the US?
Heavens, little one, I think it's absolutely okay, just like hundreds of other countries are absolutely okay.
Sorry that you don't understand the nuances of life yet.

If you think that the US is perfect lock, stock and barrel, why are you on her whining about the president and the US by starting one or two negative threads every day?
Why wouldn't you just accept the US as it is or leave?
Isn't that what you're telling me?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:08 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,010,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
I do support the arts, I am a painter myself, but I don't think that federal money should go to this at all. The state should pay for it, oh wait thats right THEY ARE BROKE! I have looked at all of the murals, and I have a B in art appreciation.

you may paint, you may have a B in home schooled "art appreciation" but you must not have taken the lesson to heart, nor soul. I would venture a guess if we both looked at the same mural I would find a world of appreciation, information and education that you want to gloss over. pick up a college level art history book. art isn't always pretty, it has information you may not like, but without it the depiction is not complete.

the bigger question is why would you want to gloss over all the importance of these murals if you support the arts? were you not capable to see and understand the history depicted? Is a community's history not important to preserve? were you unable to see the artistic merit due to the primitive style? or would you prefer your art censored without depictions of expression and historical reference?

anyone who can't see the value or who can dismiss these murals does so either because they don't understand the art, or turn if off out of bigotry. not many other reasons in between.

why would you care what government pot the money came out of? state, feds, they are both broke. the story has been the same for decades upon decades. you can't really think in any of our lifetimes either branch of the government is gonna get figured out. the arts barely get funded as it is and are the first to get slashed. are you saying you would have supported this project if the state paid the millions of dollars?

My mother has been friends with a woman for 30+ years. Her parents came from Cuba. Her mother still has nightmares of Castros soldiers. She lost family to them. Her father has to smuggle things in for his family when he goes there once every 2 years, because they have no food or money. They have told me that everyday a 5pm Castro shuts everything down for about a minute, just to let them all know that he still has power over them.
Why, if you obviously hate what America does and love Cuba, don't you go there then?
Your friends, I guarantee you, went to a tourist trap like Havana. Next time they go tell them to go to the slums and see how much of a "lovely time" they have then.

take the info your mom's friend add to it. life in cuba for a good 100 years has never been easy for a good deal of the people there. do you know about conditions for the people before castro took over? do you know why castro took over? I would bet you would find the answers in the paintings depicted in the murals

Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post

I could have learned more about life and compassion in those 30 minutes than a lifetime of listening to politicians or some pundits BS.
Life and COMPASSION from Che? You can't be serious.

Have you ever spent any time in the company of a real, genuine "true believer?" Someone you KNOW would kill you without a second thought if they believed it would advance their cause? Someone with no principles other than "the cause?" With no mercy, no love, no anything but a dreadful, frightening focus on the objective to the exclusion of even their own humanity?

I promise you, man, the LAST thing you'd learn from such people is compassion.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:44 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,755 times
Quote:
Hate the US?
Heavens, little one, I think it's absolutely okay, just like hundreds of other countries are absolutely okay.
Sorry that you don't understand the nuances of life yet.

If you think that the US is perfect lock, stock and barrel, why are you on her whining about the president and the US by starting one or two negative threads every day?
Why wouldn't you just accept the US as it is or leave?
Isn't that what you're telling me?
The president is not the USA he is just a temporary leader. The things that you condemn happened, usually, before Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
take the info your mom's friend add to it. life in Cuba for a good 100 years has never been easy for a good deal of the people there. do you know about conditions for the people before Castro took over? do you know why Castro took over? I would bet you would find the answers in the paintings depicted in the murals
I give up. You win. With you I will always be wrong, or inexperienced or just plain stupid. Why should I subject my self to your constant criticism even if it is invalid? I shouldn't.

BTW, it's a college level art appreciation class that I take at the community college.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:55 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,076,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Life and COMPASSION from Che? You can't be serious.

Have you ever spent any time in the company of a real, genuine "true believer?" Someone you KNOW would kill you without a second thought if they believed it would advance their cause? Someone with no principles other than "the cause?" With no mercy, no love, no anything but a dreadful, frightening focus on the objective to the exclusion of even their own humanity?

I promise you, man, the LAST thing you'd learn from such people is compassion.
Actually yes I have spent a bit of time around some folks like that when I was much younger(not Che's caliber of course)...I didn't agree with them,but I understood them quite well and also WHERE I stood with them....life had a beautiful edge to it back then that I have not felt in 20 yrs or more now...don't miss it,don't regret it either tho.

I think from the many things I have read on Che and things he wrote himself I get the idea that he did have compassion for the common person...that compassion/value did not extend to all walks of life tho.. so although he was hardcore in many ways,he still had a deep compassion for those he believed in....the poor and disenfranchised.

I also think he had MUCH different ideas for Cuba than Castro did and like almost ALL that get power,Castro exploited it worse than those before him and there's a very good chance that that is one of the reasons Che blasted off out of Cuba and joined the fight in Bolivia...he used Castro for funding and some back bone.

I think Che was a war criminal in the end and got what he deserved,but nowdays the world is full of those and they should meet the same end.

Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies