Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 02:11 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,466,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittic View Post
so the rest of us don't have to pay taxes to fund your kids. Until you have banked 300k, you aint ready to raise your FIRST kid. 200k more for each additional kid. No reason for a woman to have a kid before she's 30, or a man before he's 35. If the 2 of you aint got 300k in 15 years combined, then you CAN'T raise kids properly, in the US, most likely. So forget it. quit putting the load on other people! each kid takes 1`/4 million to raise properly, mother should be there for them until they are 6-7 years old, in PRIVATE school. So you lose her income for those years and need baby sitters, so mom can take sanity breaks. Quit putting the load of your retirement on ss and tax payers, or on your kids. Save-invest properly, or don't have kids.
Wait you kidding right? I am curious to see what everyone else posted. But this is the stupidest comment I have read today. Basically, by your logic, if this was followed to a tee, then this country would die off in a generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 02:11 PM

6,392 posts, read 5,158,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
You've heard of ACLU & Human Rights haven't you?? This would be an envasion of their privacy!!
Actually, I fail to see how this is an invasion of privacy, since illegal drug use can affect work performance, and in some cases is actually required by the federal government, or state government, [such as getting a CDL license in some states].

If someone is going to hire you, why shouldn't they be allowed to test for illegal drug use?

Old 01-20-2012, 02:14 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,144,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Probably better to just let him spout off here than ever let him be on a panel to decide who gets health care or not. imo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
They're nobody. It's easy to talk tough anonymously on the internet.
Both so true.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:34 PM

36,226 posts, read 30,664,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
If Grandma is 104 she has collected several times as much as she and her husband paid in.
She is one of the few. I figure about $150,000 over the 39 years since grandpa was eligable for retirement give or take. He worked way past 65 though. I have no idea how much SS he paid in. Im sure a lot more than the younger people that have been drawing disability for years because their back hurts or they are addicted to drugs and alcohol.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:40 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,907,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Actually, I fail to see how this is an invasion of privacy, since illegal drug use can affect work performance, and in some cases is actually required by the federal government, or state government, [such as getting a CDL license in some states].

If someone is going to hire you, why shouldn't they be allowed to test for illegal drug use?
see the rolled eyes, sarcasm.

If one is on welfare, drug testing is fair game. I'm all for it. When this was proposed, ACLU said, it was invasion of ones privacy. Something like that............

Old 01-20-2012, 05:53 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,772,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittic View Post
so the rest of us don't have to pay taxes to fund your kids. Until you have banked 300k, you aint ready to raise your FIRST kid. 200k more for each additional kid. No reason for a woman to have a kid before she's 30, or a man before he's 35. If the 2 of you aint got 300k in 15 years combined, then you CAN'T raise kids properly, in the US, most likely. So forget it. quit putting the load on other people! each kid takes 1`/4 million to raise properly, mother should be there for them until they are 6-7 years old, in PRIVATE school. So you lose her income for those years and need baby sitters, so mom can take sanity breaks. Quit putting the load of your retirement on ss and tax payers, or on your kids. Save-invest properly, or don't have kids.
I'm thinking maybe you should't be telling people not to have children until you learn to talk properly. "ain't got" is not the proper way and you sound very undeducated.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:42 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,092,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Most people who actualy work for a living and earn their money have to submit to drug testing.....why shouldn't welfare recipients be required to do the same?
I agree, but I'm surprised you feel that way.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:46 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,092,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Just an observation, many jobs these days require a drug test, and failure means no job. Some companies even test for nicotine, [smoking], and will not hire you if you fail. Is that any different than drug testing for welfare?
It's up to a company if they want to hire a smoker, but I don't see an issue with denying welfare to smokers...if they have that kind of money to spend on $8/pack smokes, I don't really think we should be subsidizing them.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:17 AM

15,701 posts, read 17,001,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It's up to a company if they want to hire a smoker, but I don't see an issue with denying welfare to smokers...if they have that kind of money to spend on $8/pack smokes, I don't really think we should be subsidizing them.
If you want to go there with smoking......then they should also lose their benefits if they have money to pay for satellite or cable TV.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 AM

1,486 posts, read 2,380,121 times
"stop having kids you can't afford to raise properly. "

That means emotionally as well as financially. I see a lot of young people whose parents are doing well economically but are lousy parents and their kids are in trouble the same as the underprivileged and middle class. Being a good parent may be the hardest thing you ever do but it will also be the most rewarding thing you ever do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies