Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:25 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Actually, what i would prefer to see is for the IRS to not allow exemptions for children under the age of 18 unless, at minimum, several percent (5 sounds good) of their parents net income is set aside into a 529 plan for them each year. It might be wise to have a PENALTY imposed on parents who fail this test.

Even if they elect not to attend college, at least, the parents are thinking about the future years of the kids lives, and not just today.
Ah yes have the government force folks to set aside another fund of money they can steal from. Egggselent idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
I had my kids planning on at least one of em to make it to the pro's. That way they can pay for my retirement. While you suckers pay me to raise em I'll reap the rewards. LOL

Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
God this is still going on? All this shows is people will champion what benefits them.

This reminds me of a neighbor who had 6 kids. He was a champion for public education and the benefits of helping children achieve success as a benefit to the community. Right up to about 3 months after he didn't need the community benefit any more (his kids moved away). Then he raged at why he should have to pay a penny for some one else's brat, even when people pointed out with how much he had taken he was just paying it back now.

People don't need a reason to be selfish, but they find every other reason in the book to convince people they are not.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:27 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
one can be rich and well of, not work in their entire life, and still raise crap kids. income level and length of stay at home, doesn't guarantee good kids.
Nothing guarantees good kids.

But some things certainly help.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:31 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittic View Post
so the rest of us don't have to pay taxes to fund your kids. .......... Quit putting the load of your retirement on ss and tax payers, or on your kids. Save-invest properly, or don't have kids.

I agree with the sentiment of your post. Way too many people have kids they cannot afford to adequately raise. In fact, those who can afford kids are more likely to have fewer kids or none at all.

Unfortunately, we encourage having kids in our society by transfering the cost of kids to other people via tax codes and other programs.

But the real problem is people not living within their means, regardless of income level and family size.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:48 AM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
300k is nuts. Most of us would not have been born.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:01 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Your numbers are a bit off. Trust me, my wife and I had nothing close to even 5k banked when we had children, we had only been married a year and a half when we had our first, And both of us were younger than 30. Even though we got divorced years later, the only people who provided financial support was the 2 of us.

As for retirement, by the time I am retired, my hone will be paid for, and between my 401k and all other savings etc etc, without SS being figured in, I should have over $1800.00 income, and no debt.

Not everyone needs to meet your criteria, to do right by their kids, and retire one day, without picking your pocket.
$1800 a month and no debt might sound great today but even with SS you are in trouble along with 90% of Americans nearing retirement.

We are both retired and will be drawing $3500 a month from SS. After paying our medical insurance of $450 a month and our fixed costs there will be little left. The problem with heading into retirement with just enough or less is that the first budget breaker, the new roof, the cracked foundation, kids need help, a big operation, puts you behind forever.

They say the magic number for everyone is either side of one million in savings. If you aren't there you are a candidate for public assistance, food aid, section 8, or working well past 67.

Fortunately, we have enough wealth saved up that we could self fund without SS so SS is just a bonus. We have self funded our retirement for years now, while waiting fore SS and Medicare, and even though the wealth has increased it is scary.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:07 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittic View Post
so the rest of us don't have to pay taxes to fund your kids. Until you have banked 300k, you aint ready to raise your FIRST kid. 200k more for each additional kid. No reason for a woman to have a kid before she's 30, or a man before he's 35. If the 2 of you aint got 300k in 15 years combined, then you CAN'T raise kids properly, in the US, most likely. So forget it. quit putting the load on other people! each kid takes 1`/4 million to raise properly, mother should be there for them until they are 6-7 years old, in PRIVATE school. So you lose her income for those years and need baby sitters, so mom can take sanity breaks. Quit putting the load of your retirement on ss and tax payers, or on your kids. Save-invest properly, or don't have kids.
Stalin, is that you? Mao?

Old 01-19-2012, 08:16 AM

428 posts, read 486,965 times
Why on Earth do some people think it takes an obscene amount of money to raise a child? After having our kids, my husband and I didn't need any more money to make our household run well. Heck, we even lost some income because I quit working to be a SAHM (well actually, not much income was lost because if I had stayed working, the cost of daycare and transportation would have eaten up most of my paycheck). We still managed to put money into our savings account and even open up college accounts for each child. It's all about priorities. When the kids came, most of the money we had been spending on entertainment and other frivolous stuff went to satisfy their needs and we found free/low-cost things to do as a family. If you really want to balance the household budget after having kids, you can find ways to cut corners on the things that don't matter.

Raising children isn't about how many unnecessary things you can buy them. It's about nurturing them so they can lead meaningful lives as adults. Parenting is as expensive as you want it to be.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:21 AM

428 posts, read 486,965 times
Wittic, what sparked your anger? Do you have any children of your own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies