Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 02:58 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Good question. Also, in addition another reason AA was implemented is because those in charge of hiring were prejudiced and didn't hire a specific race even if they were qualified. And I would bet it still goes on (the prejudices).
And you'd win that bet handily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 02:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
That's Metta World Peace to you...........
LOL...man, don't even get me started.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:01 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
My memory is probably failing me, but outside of the Artest situation (personally, i think Artest was right), i don't remember a player in the NBA going after a fan. Iverson had a situation once with his wife that ended in a story that was so convoluted that i don't know what happpened. Hell, his wife has never even told the story yet. Iverson had some issues with his coach, but again...what else did Iverson do that was so bad?

Even the situation with the on court brawls has to be overblown. No way does the NBA brawl nearly as much as baseball....then or now. And baseball is less physical than basketball by a long shot. Moreover, baseball AND football have far more dirtbags by percentage than basketball any day of the week.

In the Kobe situation, you may have a point. But at the end of the day, it was a matter of a player being unfaithful to his wife, not a rape. If that makes Kobe a bad guy, we may as well get rid of all pro sports.

BTW....what athlete made a cop killer song? I never heard about that.
100% agree about the Kobe situation, but it was a PR disaster over even the accusation....which is why you don't nail the schizo groupies that don't know the score.

I think I confused the cop thing with the Hardaway and Iverson anti-gay stuff.

There was just a bad stretch there for the NBA. Sprewell coach choking, iverson various incidents, jason williams shooting his chauffer, Kidd (another huge name) guilty of beating his wife. Heck, I'd forgotten those.

Frankly if you google a list of top 25 nba scandals a lot of them were in about a 10 year period. As bad as football? Nope. Worse than what it had been during the earlier eras? Yep.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:02 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...man, don't even get me started.
I feel bad for Artest, dude has legitimate mental issues but seems to be working on them as best he can.

I actually like the guy.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
100% agree about the Kobe situation, but it was a PR disaster over even the accusation....which is why you don't nail the schizo groupies that don't know the score.

I think I confused the cop thing with the Hardaway and Iverson anti-gay stuff.

There was just a bad stretch there for the NBA. Sprewell coach choking, iverson various incidents, jason williams shooting his chauffer, Kidd (another huge name) guilty of beating his wife. Heck, I'd forgotten those.

Frankly if you google a list of top 25 nba scandals a lot of them were in about a 10 year period. As bad as football? Nope. Worse than what it had been during the earlier eras? Yep.
The Sprewell incident is probably the worse. I think it became emblematic of what a lot of folks felt was wrong with the NBA. The incident wasn't racial, but this is America, and black player choking white coach was a bad look. Worse, when he said that he wanted a bigger contract because "he had a family to feed" (or something to that effect), be p*ssed off a lot of people.

The Jason Williams incident is funny because i don't think the public was all that outraged about it....although i was and expected everyone else to be too. It could be because he had a reputation for being a pretty nice guy, but somewhat of a clown and a bit aloof. In fact, i think folks were actually angrier about the Jason Kidd, Ron Artest, and Latrell Sprewell incidents much more so. Makes no sense, but that's the vibe i got. I mean, this guy kills someone, lies to cops, tampers with evidence, and folks weren't really mad about it.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:33 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,298 times
You guys have a misinterped Idea of what AA law is.
all AA law saus that you must consider""qualified minority"" for a job
it does not say you have to higher a less qualified minority. ( read the law)
and a white person can sue for discrimination under the AA law(see university of michigan).

stop watching fox news.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:38 PM

281 posts, read 256,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
So I got into a discussion the other day regarding affirmative action. Pros, cons, the workings of it, etc.

My final question was, should affirmative action also apply to sports? We have a lot of sports dominated by one color, whether it be Football, basketball, hockey, on a professional as well as collegiate or high school level. Why isn't AA in place and how far are we willing to go to "level" the playing field for everyone.
I think the numbers are way out of whack in pro sports, and steps MUST be taken to increase the percentages of underrepresented races.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:45 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
I think the numbers are way out of whack in pro sports, and steps MUST be taken to increase the percentages of underrepresented races.
Yes, especially in league offices, team front offices and head coaching positions.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:46 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Affirmative Action shouldn't apply to anything. It was and always has been a bad idea.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:22 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I feel bad for Artest, dude has legitimate mental issues but seems to be working on them as best he can.

I actually like the guy.
Artest chose...I'm sorry, ahem---Metta World Peace chose his jersey number of 37 when he went to the Lakers because that was the number of weeks Michael Jackson's Thriller was #1 on the album charts. You've got to admit, he's pretty funny in a crazy way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies