Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:55 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times

Advertisements

MLK, USA: Many King Streets Stuck on Economic Outskirts | AOL Real Estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 05:58 PM

12,027 posts, read 6,560,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
The NAACP needs to stop making racist assumptions that areas dominated by black people are the only high crime areas.
Very true. In the Southwest the high-crime areas are all dominated by hispanics, not blacks.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:58 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Evidently advising users to avoid high crime areas is racist.

Microsoft App To Guide Users Away From High-Crime Areas Proves Controversial « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Sounds like the Chris Rock jokes about how all the MLK Aves, Blvds etc. are in the hood.

Who knew there were cultural things to do in high crime areas?
I don't have a problem with it. People should be warned when they are entering a dangerous neighborhood regardless of who lives in it.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:59 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,216,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I don't have a problem with it. People should be warned when they are entering a dangerous neighborhood regardless of who lives in it.
I have something better than any GPS app. my eyes and intuition. It has helped me avoid many rough areas. Unless you have lived in a sheltered environment your entire life, like Arnold Schwarzenegger in that "Twins" movie, it's failry easy to spot rough areas pretty rapidly. There are tell tale signs.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:04 PM

I like this stupid comment: “It may have a high crime problem but have some great cultural, social things you can do there,” McNally said.
Yes, I enjoyed a nice dish of soul food which turned into my last meal

Old 01-18-2012, 06:09 PM

I could see some middle class suburban kids use this app to seek out high crime areas as a way to rebel against their parents.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I have something better than any GPS app. my eyes and intuition. It has helped me avoid many rough areas. Unless you have lived in a sheltered environment your entire life, like Arnold Schwarzenegger in that "Twins" movie, it's failry easy to spot rough areas pretty rapidly. There are tell tale signs.
I can take a map, pen and the Yellow Pages for city and show you within a few minutes which are the dicey areas even though I have never been there. Just mark all the churches, liquor stores and the absence of other retailers.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I can take a map, pen and the Yellow Pages for city and show you within a few minutes which are the dicey areas even though I have never been there. Just mark all the churches, liquor stores and the absence of other retailers.
Vacant lots are a pretty good indicator, as are pawn shops, pay day loans, and cash for gold shops. The last one is a really good indicator, you start seeing a lot of we pay for gold shops and you know you are in a rough area, no offense to anyone that lives next to one of those stores.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:17 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,208,730 times
Quote:
I could see some middle class suburban kids use this app to seek out high crime areas as a way to rebel against their parents.
HAHA! One trip to the ghetto where they proceed to get their asses kicked should solve that.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:24 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,262 times
Quote:
Vacant lots are a pretty good indicator, as are pawn shops, pay day loans, and cash for gold shops. The last one is a really good indicator, you start seeing a lot of we pay for gold shops and you know you are in a rough area, no offense to anyone that lives next to one of those stores.
Don't forget the takeout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies