Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 03:09 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
To set the record straight, I don't go around asking. I've simply heard (even overheard) discussions about it from folks in the restaurant industry frequently enough that it makes me curious.
Ok. It's funny. I travel around the country for my job. In my travels I occasionally come across African American people. Some of them suck and some of them are awesome. Just like white people. You're right.. it's probably a political thing.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:12 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
I've been hearing more and more complaints from restaurant waiters and waitresses across the U.S. about certain groups of people - and African Americans in particular - leaving very small tips or even stiffing sometimes. I thought pretty much everyone who dines out knows that the standard tip for restaurant service is 15% to 20% in the U.S.

Do some people believe they're owed free service? Is tipping small a political statement perhaps?
I believe it is a payback for slavery.

It's not a "stereotype".

I've witnessed it first hand, many times.

My ultra leftie nephew didnt like taking tables with blacks. They would "share the burden" by rotating black customers.

We frequented a restaurant in Philly where a friend waited table. They would also rotate blacks. One night when we were there, a table of six black customers left a $3 tip on a $120 tab, and ran the waitress ragged.

It's the same reason that taxis Pass them by.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:15 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
I've been hearing more and more complaints from restaurant waiters and waitresses across the U.S. about certain groups of people - and African Americans in particular - leaving very small tips or even stiffing sometimes. I thought pretty much everyone who dines out knows that the standard tip for restaurant service is 15% to 20% in the U.S.

Do some people believe they're owed free service? Is tipping small a political statement perhaps?
I waited tables in different classes of restaurants (family to upscale) and never had a problem with Blacks, except for the elderly, but then I had the same problem with the elderly of all ethnic groups and the elderly of all races/ethnic groups have apparently agreed that the sum of $0.35 is an adequate tip.

Tipping...

Mircea

Old 01-19-2012, 03:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Wow. I'd be interested in knowing how many Mg's of blood pressure medicine you take daily....cuz that much anger can't be good.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:16 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Yeah I hear that a lot.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:16 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,560 times
Here in California, Indians have the worst reputation as tippers. From my experience, it's well deserved.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:17 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
To set the record straight, I don't go around asking. I've simply heard (even overheard) discussions about it from folks working in restaurants frequently enough that it makes me curious.
Makes you curious or just another race baiter from Stormfront? Having worked in the industry I can tell you that good waiters & waitresses are hard to come by and how they complain about tips & how they aren't making enough money to pay their bills.
Funny how when blacks go to Europe and the tip is included in the bill they don't seem to mind paying.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:20 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:

It's not a "stereotype".

My ultra leftie nephew didnt like taking tables with blacks. They would "share the burden" by rotating black customers.

We frequented a restaurant in Philly where a friend waited table. They would also rotate blacks. One night when we were there, a table of six black customers left a $3 tip on a $120 tab, and ran the waitress ragged.

There are numerous different groups that are known to not be great tippers: celebrities, old people, very rich people, the Chinese, Germans, the British, teenagers, etc, etc...but somehow, some way these threads tend to focus on Black people and Black people only.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,211 times
Quote:

It's not a "stereotype".

I have a nephew that works at a restaurant in the City. He was the only black working the lunch shift, he couldn't believe the bill was over $200 and they only left was $10. Guess what, they weren't black.

No, taxi's pass by for ignorant reasons, nothing to do with tipping.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:36 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Many blacks are extremely good tippers. You shouldn't stereotype a whole race based on one or two bad experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies