Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 03:47 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Dense.

You make dangerous assumptions. I am willing to help you.

Just do this for YOU and all of us here. When you read a post or the news or whatever, don't just quickly skim the headlines or titles.

Don't just tune into CNN or Fox News and form an opinion and start making accusations.

Form your own opinion without attacking people. If you don't care about your doctor's gender, then more power to you. As for sexual orientation, some of us may want to be certain that the doctor won't flirt or try advances.

Good doctors can be gay. So its fine to be a gay doctor.

All this topic is about is a fair question. Should they be allowed to practice while not disclosing their sexual orientation when confronted? Why should they hide? We live in america and there should be no such thing as homophobia. But the reality is that we should have a right to choose to the fullest extent.

If you buy a car, you want to know if it was used or if it has rust or was it submerged in liquid. If you go to the store to get coffee, you might want decaf or maybe you want the cheap supermarket brand. If you go online to buy a toy for your kid, you have a right to know if its made in china or some other 3rd world country with unfair labor laws.

It is called freedom of choice.
Don't plummet off the edge of the cliff you're on as you backpedal away from your homophobia.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:56 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Can you pray the gay away? – Dr. Drew - CNN.com Blogs

One of the nice things about going to a doctor is that one can choose which one to go to. For example, if you are a female, you might be more comfortable with a female doctor. Likewise for males.

But why should gay doctors be allowed to practice? Think about this, because in reality, a gay male doctor would be the equivalent of a female doctor.

This could make the visit very uncomfortable for male patients. Especially knowing that such a doctor would likely have 'strange fantasies", etc

Any thoughts?
My thought is that you are a complete freaking nut-case.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:01 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,441 times
Who cares..if my female doctor wants to sleep with women I don't care-as long as you are ethical and at least pretend to care when I whine about my chest cold ..and if my male dentist sleeps with Fred whoopie!

Old 01-20-2012, 04:03 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You don't have a "right" to know if your physician is attracted to you. How in the world would something like that be proven anyway?
I don't mean attracted to them specifically. Look, if my wife wants to insist on a female gyno her wishes should be honored and any doctor that doesn't respect her request won't get her business (no pun intended). If my wife would rather see a woman than a man because she doesn't want some guy (straight) getting his rocks off during a pelvic exam and she's a very private person. Along those same lines she's doesn't want some gay female doctor gawking at her on a table either for the exact same reasons as not wanting a man to do it.

We can sit here and talk about doctors and being professional all we want but a quick search online will bring up hundreds of thousands of cases of Dr. wrong doing and tons of cases of sexual abuse by a physician. I personally don't care whether I see a male or female doctor, I'm in the medical industry so I look at it like an assembly line and I know that in a surgical atmosphere you'll end up naked and spread eagle in front of a whole damn team of people you never even knew was in there. I just feel like it's a person's right to know.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:04 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
Quote:
This has nothing to do with hate. You misunderstood once again (as I am sure you always do).

Let's leave sexual orientation out of this for now.

Lets start from scratch. (and slow for Don2390)

If you decided that you wanted a male doctor as opposed to a female doctor, what is the reason for that? So, why do receptionists ask for gender preference to patients? OH WAIT, are they being sexist for asking that? HELL NO!!

So answer that first. Anyone with brains please.
You are still sidestepping the truth... Come out, be brave, be relieved, don't play like I misunderstyood, we all see through you.
Give it up... Still one of the dumbest threads ever started. Quit hiding behind the truth.. You parents will understand...

Old 01-20-2012, 04:15 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I don't mean attracted to them specifically. Look, if my wife wants to insist on a female gyno her wishes should be honored and any doctor that doesn't respect her request won't get her business (no pun intended). If my wife would rather see a woman than a man because she doesn't want some guy (straight) getting his rocks off during a pelvic exam and she's a very private person. Along those same lines she's doesn't want some gay female doctor gawking at her on a table either for the exact same reasons as not wanting a man to do it.

We can sit here and talk about doctors and being professional all we want but a quick search online will bring up hundreds of thousands of cases of Dr. wrong doing and tons of cases of sexual abuse by a physician. I personally don't care whether I see a male or female doctor, I'm in the medical industry so I look at it like an assembly line and I know that in a surgical atmosphere you'll end up naked and spread eagle in front of a whole damn team of people you never even knew was in there. I just feel like it's a person's right to know.
Women aren't worried about a male Dr "getting his rocks off during a pelvic exam". They are just embarassed and that's ok, lot's of people are! But don't make up fake excuses that put the blame on others.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I just feel like it's a person's right to know.
So whenever you see a doctor or other health professional, do you ask them about their sexual orientation during the consultation?

Old 01-20-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Women aren't worried about a male Dr "getting his rocks off during a pelvic exam". They are just embarassed and that's ok, lot's of people are! But don't make up fake excuses that put the blame on others.
I'm just going by what I hear and see daily in the medical profession, women are concerned that a male doctor might take advantage of the situation especially if it's a doctor they've never seen before. I'm not making up excuses for anything nor am I blaming anyone for anything, I just pointing out why this could be an issue for some point and I support a patient's right to be comfortable with everything involved in their health care.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So whenever you see a doctor or other health professional, do you ask them about their sexual orientation during the consultation?
I don't but I've already said that I don't personally care, I do however know people who do care and I think they should be able to ask. I'm in no way supporting the OP who is asking if they should be able to practice medicine or not, that's just stupid. I do believe that it is something that could make someone feel rightfully uncomfortable. I would also fully support a gay female patient not wanting a gay female doctor to check her out, I believe it goes both ways and shouldn't offend any professional doctor.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:30 PM

779 posts, read 537,360 times
Quote:
I figured no one would be capable of giving an intelligent reply (especially an american). This is an issue that was featured on many of your talk shows including Dr Drew.
If you want intelligent replies, you should work on asking an intelligent question, first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies