Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:19 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Or ACLU with their deep pockets!!
You and that bug in your bonnet over the ACLU are irrelevant. She could've had satan himself representing her and she'd still have been legally right. Maybe satan and the aclu are one and the same ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 11:38 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
This is the Mural :[indent]"SCHOOL PRAYER,
OUR HEAVENLY FATHER,
GRANT US EACH DAY THE DESIRE TO DO OUR BEST. TO GROW MENTALLY AND MORALLY AS WELL AS PHYSICALLY. TO BE KIND AND HELPFUL TO OUR CLASSMATES AND TEACHERS. TO BE HONEST WITH OURSELVES AS WELL AS WITH OTHERS. HELP US TO BE GOOD SPORTS AND SMILE WHEN WE LOSE AS WELL AS WHEN WE WIN. TEACH US THE VALUE OF TRUE FRIENDSHIP. HELP US ALWAYS TO CONDUCT OURSELVES SO AS TO BRING CREDIT TO CRANSTON HIGH SCHOOL WEST. AMEN"

To somehow think that the lines of Church and State are being crossed and they are being muddled together in a piece of paper on some random wall of some random school takes an incredible leap in logic....to somehow think that this is a grave violation of your Constitutional rights takes an even greater leap....
You should become a politician. With a little more work you'd be pretty convincing in your argument.

But before you do, you should go visit a Constitutional Lawyer and ask what they think about this.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:46 AM

46,955 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
There is NO such thing as separation of Church and State.
The US Supreme Court begs to differ.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
He is still on our money, no matter how much people like you want to cry about it.
I'm sure the Jewish carpenter would have loved the idea of religous mottos on money. After all, he was all about embracing the cool cash and those who dealt with it.

Actually, what's funny is the Supreme Court's rationale for upholding the "In God We Trust" motto. You see, it's considered "ceremonial deism" - falling into a category of religious utterings that are "protected from Establishment Clause scrutiny chiefly because they have lost through rote repetition any significant religious content."

It's OK because it's not a prayer, it's just an empthy phrase. Or in plain terms, the motto is protected because it's legally considered as taking the Lord's name in vain. Which, IIRC, is on the short list of No-Nos.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:56 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
it's legally considered as taking the Lord's name in vain. Which, IIRC, is on the short list of No-Nos.
I don't think God gives a toss how the goverment defines it.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
I don't think God gives a toss how the goverment defines it.
You don't think it's slightly denigrating for God's name to be associated with filthy lucre?

Old 01-24-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I don't have a problem if this was majority rules.
What can possibly go wrong as long as the majority rules?

Old 01-24-2012, 04:38 PM

344 posts, read 396,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and yet if someone walks into a business and causes problems, the business owners/managers can tell them to leave and never come back. as i said, a business can REFUSE to do business with anyone they wish, and they DONT have to give a reason. you could walk into a business, and they can ask you to leave claiming that you are being disruptive.
Just so I can win an argument...
Here is what you said, and what I was responding to;
a business owner has the right to refuse service to anyone. you might want to read the laws to that effect someday. and if a business owner decides to refuse service, they DO NOT have to give a reason.

a business cannot refuse to hire a person based on the things you list above however, and that is where most people get confused

Since "hiring" someone was never part of the discussion, I assumed that you were implying that companies can refuse to serve customers based on any and all criteria, that it was only hiring practices that were covered by civil rights law. And of course civil rights laws go beyond employment hiring. I don't think either of us were confused. However I do think you were incorrect concerning your knowledge of the law.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 3,647 times
Unhappy How very Christian of you... <--- SARCASM :(

You are sooo sad. Christian people are not supposed to hate, and the only thing Jesus has asked of you is to love one another. According to the "Wall of Separation Clause" there is. It is important to follow Christian morals, and to obey your country. You shame all Christians, and help stereotype Christian people as intolerant of others. Shame on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
So basically this tramp gets to choose for everybody then cries when people treat her the same way.
Oh wait she probably isn't a tramp because my guess is NO ONE wants anything to do with her, THAT is what she is upset about.

There is NO such thing as separation of Church and State.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 AM

7 posts, read 3,647 times
Default What would Jesus Say?

Why do you act like this? Supporting this type of behavior in anti-christian. If you were truly christian and followed christian morals, you would accept all and condemn none, money would hold no value, and you would love unconditionally. What you support is a corrupt form of Christianity, and your attitude and words will be used against other christians; you help build the stereotype that marks us all as intolerant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies