Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:30 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,885,317 times

Advertisements

Ah well .. so much for christian charity, forgiveness and turning the other cheek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 10:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The wife & I own a Florist and had I known, there would have been no flowers delivered from us, either.
If I was a florist I would proudly deliver her flowers, along with pretty much anyone else who placed an order with me.

I'd only refuse to deliver flowers to, say, the KKK or pedophiles or something like that. But her? Yep, I'd cheerfully accept her business.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:49 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbatahs1995 View Post
Why do you act like this? Supporting this type of behavior in anti-christian. If you were truly christian and followed christian morals, you would accept all and condemn none, money would hold no value, and you would love unconditionally. What you support is a corrupt form of Christianity, and your attitude and words will be used against other christians; you help build the stereotype that marks us all as intolerant.
Truly. As a Christian, I withhold any judgement here. While I do not agree that the mural in question here, violated this girls rights, mine is not the place to judge. It saddens me that people would go to such lengths to keep God from their lives, but a relationship with God is not something that can be mandated. God does not desire to force his Grace on anyone. It must be accepted, willingly, or it means nothing. I will not express anger over this. Who am I to show anger on behalf of the Lord? To lash out at others, with the Lords name on your lips, is an affront to His Grace. In my view, it is an attack on the Holy Spirit, to be angry on Gods behalf. What is right and wrong in the Lords name, is not a decision to be made by man, and what He chooses to forgive, or not, is not ours to question. Judgement is the Lords to pass....end of story.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,158,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's a shame some people need to take out their personal insecurities on a school girl. She's just the face on this particular instance, she isn't the cause of anything.
I am sorry, but in this case, I have to disagree with you. Cause and affect. Action and consequence. When someone does something that others disagree with, there is going to be fallout. At least she is learning that now...

Old 03-18-2013, 12:01 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I am sorry, but in this case, I have to disagree with you. Cause and affect. Action and consequence. When someone does something that others disagree with, there is going to be fallout. At least she is learning that now...
Public shunning is by folks not even involved in the "action" (which was constitutional correct by the way) is not a consequence. It's foolishness.

It's like those fools who at AFA who try to get boycotts on companies who offer benefits to gay couples or something. I really truly feel that who do this kind of thing are not in any way "standing up" for a principal but "calling attention" to themselves because so many other idiots see themselves as some sort of WARRIOR by eat chick-fil-a or copy pasting some spam on a company FB page or even holding a press conference to announce who they will or won't be doing business with or giving discounts too depending of their belief about something. Actually, they just see someone else do it and think "hey look at me too!". If you can't see the idiocracy at work here then there is no hope for mankind. None of this is about faith, god or religion, it's about the stupid publicity driven, hate filled, reality entertainment, 15 minutes of fame, Honey Boo Boo watching society that the lowest human beings ever have created and the most ignorant are following as if it's a command from God. EVEN THE FLORIST ADMITTED THE ONLY REASON THEY DIDN'T IS BECASUE THOSE SAME FOOLS MIGHT TURN THEIR EYE ON THEM AND CAUSE THEM PROBLEMS!!! We are letting the bullies and idiots dictate everything out of fear from the bigger bullies and idiots.

Sorry for the rant but humanity is being stupid everywhere I look and sometimes I feel like the only sane person in crazytown.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:25 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,042,222 times
The florists could easily be interpreted as violating Rhode Island's civil rights law.

It's illegal in the state in Rhode Island to discriminate in public accomadation on the basis of, among other things, religion.

Rhode Island General Laws 11-24-2. Discriminatory practices prohibited :: Lawserver

Quote:
No person, being the owner, lessee, proprietor, manager, superintendent, agent, or employee of any place of public accommodation, resort, or amusement shall directly or indirectly refuse, withhold from, or deny to any person on account of race or color, religion, country of ancestral origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, any of the accommodations, advantages, facilities, or privileges of that public place....
Rhode Island General Laws 11-24-3. "Places of public accommodation" construed :: Lawserver

Quote:
A "Place of public accommodation, resort, or amusement" within the meaning of §§ 11-24-1 – 11-24-3 includes, but is not limited to: ........(5) retail stores and establishments, dispensaries, clinics, hospitals, rest rooms, bath houses, barber shops, beauty parlors, theaters, motion picture houses, music halls, airdromes, roof gardens, race courses, skating rinks, amusement and recreation parks, fairs, bowling alleys, golf courses, gymnasiums, shooting galleries, billiard and pool parlors, swimming pools, seashore accommodations and boardwalks, and public libraries.....
All the plaintiffs need to show (with a preponderance of evidence) is that the basis for their delivery refusals was related to the customer's religious ideology, and that the businesses in question are definable by state law as providing public accommodation. The latter point is clear based upon the statutory language. The former point might be contestable, but would seem to be quite obvious.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:13 AM

7 posts, read 3,641 times
Red face Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Truly. As a Christian, I withhold any judgement here. While I do not agree that the mural in question here, violated this girls rights, mine is not the place to judge. It saddens me that people would go to such lengths to keep God from their lives, but a relationship with God is not something that can be mandated. God does not desire to force his Grace on anyone. It must be accepted, willingly, or it means nothing. I will not express anger over this. Who am I to show anger on behalf of the Lord? To lash out at others, with the Lords name on your lips, is an affront to His Grace. In my view, it is an attack on the Holy Spirit, to be angry on Gods behalf. What is right and wrong in the Lords name, is not a decision to be made by man, and what He chooses to forgive, or not, is not ours to question. Judgement is the Lords to pass....end of story.
The responses I have read from people who call themselves "Christians" anger me... I agree with you fully and wish there were more people like you. Christianity is not about hating or condemning others; it is about loving one another and acceptance. If there were more kind and loving religious people, then there wouldn't be so many problems in the world. Although I have my beliefs, I support this young woman because it is her right, her natural right, to do what she has done, and the reason this country was founded was to accomplish religious freedom. We are walking hypocrites if we condemn her because of her decision. Just think and ask yourself "Was my religion always accepted?," and think about how it would make you feel to be her. Please, if you claim to be a good person or a Christian, do not hate this girl or condemn her, if you truly are what you claim, then you will forgive and forget. Turn the other cheek. Love one another. This is all that is asked of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies