Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

This professor has showed his students just what they are and is trying to figure out where they got these ideas. Notice his outstanding attempt to let them see just what they are saying.

Will Generation 'Gimme' Work for the American Dream? Eye-opening insight into America's youth - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
You know your'e old when you start saying crap like "these damn kids nowadays, when I was a kid....."
I guess I didn't hear those words in that video. About where did you hear them or are you just trying to deflect again?

Old 01-21-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
There are eBooks copied from the 12th century that talk about those damn kids being selfish and wanting different things then their elders. Project Gutenburg has a number if you want to read them. This is as old as humanity itself, and some people who don't know anything about history seem to think it's brand new every decade. Sad really how people can't learn anything from the past.
Aw, go ahead and watch the video so you won't be showing all your lack of knowledge about what it there. I will help you out by telling you that the man asked his students to write a 10 minute essay about the subject and he learned a lot from it.

Maybe I could even help you out by telling you that although those kids sounded just like the OWS crowd this little thing was done before the Occupies took place.

Do you think you should continue to be misinformed and try so hard to misinform others with your deflection methods? I think you bury some really good stuff when you pull this trick.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
This professor has showed his students just what they are and is trying to figure out where they got these ideas. Notice his outstanding attempt to let them see just what they are saying.

Will Generation 'Gimme' Work for the American Dream? Eye-opening insight into America's youth - YouTube
That's unreal. I wonder how many people actually believe the government should pay for their tuition, house down payment, give them a job, etc.? I've worked all of my life since I was 14 years old. I couldn't wait to get a job. My parents never questioned why I wanted to work - getting a job and working for what you wanted was expected. It never occurred to me that the government was supposed to give me anything.

My only disagreement with the professor is I don't think public schools are entirely to blame for the students' mindset. I blame the parents.

[insightful video, Roy...]

Old 01-21-2012, 10:34 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
My only disagreement with the professor is I don't think public schools are entirely to blame for the students' mindset. I blame the parents.

I didn't watch the video yet but I agree with the above. In fact, I would say the problem is 90% parents and 10% school.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:47 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times
No wonder Democrats get the "youth vote".

Rock the vote, children!

Old 01-21-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
That's unreal. I wonder how many people actually believe the government should pay for their tuition, house down payment, give them a job, etc.? I've worked all of my life since I was 14 years old. I couldn't wait to get a job. My parents never questioned why I wanted to work - getting a job and working for what you wanted was expected. It never occurred to me that the government was supposed to give me anything.

What a relief. Finally someone is willing to speak to the video. I don't worry about this all coming from public schools but I think that we older people missed this in school and our parents did too.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I didn't watch the video yet but I agree with the above. In fact, I would say the problem is 90% parents and 10% school.
I won't cross the words of the professor since he has dealt with those kids and others before them and might have a better knowledge of it all. I might go along with 50-50 though.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:06 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
I wonder if Jack and thousands of other professors want to say what the REAL problem is: Parents... but FOX would never want to tell their viewers that it's their fault.

Too many young adults today just weren't raised with the skills to be self-sufficient adults. That's why they don't move out until their 30's, why they think they are automatically entitled to the same kind of life their parents have while somehow forgetting it took their parents 20-30 years of work to get there and why they throw a hissy fit whenever they don't get what they want.

Their parents never said NO when they had a tantrum in the store over a candy bar, hovered over them as they played under close supervision in a controlled environment and picked them up every time they fell instead of letting them get up on their own.

They got a wall full of "participant" trophies, were constantly told how wonderful and special they were, that they could do anything...be anything, never got a punishment more severe than a "time out" when they did bad and were otherwise sheltered from anything and everything even remotely negative.

And when they turn out to be 2 year olds in adult bodies who can't function in the real world we blame Public School and Obama!

Old 01-22-2012, 12:10 AM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
You know your'e old when you start saying crap like "these damn kids nowadays, when I was a kid....."
Thank God for "old." Many folks are wiser when they are older.
It is mostly "the old" that will save this nation "as founded."

I'm in my mid-fifties and dang glad I lived it up on the way and that I'm as experienced and blessed with the wisdom and discernment that I do have.

Yes, on the memories of "when I was a kid." Ahh, in Austin, Texas and all was right with the world. In fact, back then it actually was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies