Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 05:33 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Out of curiosity, how do you maintain close family ties with people who are dead (or never existed in the first place)? And how can they help you when you need it if they are not alive?
Be sure to make good choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 05:36 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Be sure to make good choices.
That made no sense whatsoever. Sure, you can make good financial choices, but your choices do not ensure your success, only potentially improve it.

And that has nothing to do with having a family support system - you don't choose your family.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
That made no sense whatsoever. Sure, you can make good financial choices, but your choices do not ensure your success, only potentially improve it.

And that has nothing to do with having a family support system - you don't choose your family.
Most people will never have to.

That was my point.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:38 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Well there a couple of thing wrong with this line of thinking to me. What about a family of 3 or 4? Why 6? Minimum wage in some places can't feed and clothe one adult. And you are assuming those children weren't born during better times for the family. What if they fell on hard times? What if there was divorce or someone was widowed? Even if they weren't... what does that mean? If you have a kid when you are a teenager, you deserve to live a life of poverty and barely be able to eat? If we say yes, because they did it to themselves.. well the kid didn't do anything. What is the justification for starving children who have nothing to do with the circumstances under which they were born? And if we pride ourselves on being this society where people can start from humble beginning and still make it, do we really want so many children starting so far into the hole? I get not everyone can have the same things, but should some people have NOTHING, not even food and a decent education?

The thing is, not matter what the system, some people will find a way to cheat it. Some people don't pay their fair share of taxes. Should we not have taxes? Some people don't obey traffic laws. Should be get rid of them? Some people don't pay back student loans. Should we do away with the program altogether? No. Some people will have more kids than they can afford. Should we not help anyone and/or let kids starve? To me that is not really an option.
People don't starve here and I think we all know that. There are plenty of programs in place to keep people fed, so I don't think there is a child starving issue. And I am for having safety nets, not or rewarding a lifetime of bad decisions. What programs we have need to be changed because most of the people getting handouts are abusing the system. If you don't believe me then do something to get to know some poor people. Volunteer, whatever, it will be an eye opener.

Some people are paying more than their fair share in taxes. How is it fair that someone is taxed half of their income? Just because they make more you think this is fair? And think they don't pay enough when they are supporting the poor and these programs already? Tell me, what percentage is too much? 70%? 80%? Enough to even it out so we are all poor? Fair would be everyone paying the same percentage of their income and getting rid of all the deductions and loopholes and rules about all that. The rich would still pay more than everyone else, but it would be fair.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Still -- the system can support a limited number of food stamp recipients indefinitely but those who pretend to care so much about the poor should be concerned at the steep rise in numbers of those on poverty programs.

There will come a point where the number of welfare recipients is simply too high -- as it stands now, anyone from any country can simply come here by crossing the border illegally or come on a visa and stay and once they give birth, they can jump right onto the welfare handouts. There is a limit to how many people the system can support.

At some point either the newcomers get cut, or citizens get cut or everyone gets cut. We can support only some people on these programs, there is no way the fast rising numbers on these programs can be viewed as a good thing or workable.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:39 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, how do you maintain close family ties with people who are dead (or never existed in the first place)? And how can they help you when you need it if they are not alive?
everyones family is dead? How they would help you is by leaving you thier property after they pass. But then again the dems would have the government rack in on your windfall.
The reality is too many people dont even try to plan for a rainy day or for their future. I have talked to many elderly who complain about ss and how it isnt enough. When I ask them how they saved for retirement they say thats what ss was for. Short sighted and foolish. Only a fool would depend on the fed.
by the way these same seniors who complain the most just can't say no to lottery tickets.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
everyones family is dead? How they would help you is by leaving you thier property after they pass. But then again the dems would have the government rack in on your windfall.
The reality is too many people dont even try to plan for a rainy day or for their future. I have talked to many elderly who complain about ss and how it isnt enough. When I ask them how they saved for retirement they say thats what ss was for. Short sighted and foolish. Only a fool would depend on the fed.
by the way these same seniors who complain the most just can't say no to lottery tickets.
That is correct.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Lucky? or smart in life choices and decision making?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Life choices and decision making have nothing to do with having family to fall back on.
Quote:
I beg to differ.
Close family ties are a result of good life choices and decision making. Just as having friends that you can rely on is a result of the same.
Luck would be having wealthy family that doesnt care how ruthless or selfish you have been to them.
The poster said her husband could support her. Well, if she's like ~50% of all married women, she'll get divorced. There will be no hubby to provide for her. And then she made this good decision to be born into this huge family, who may all be busy raising their own kids and not able to help when the time comes.

Arrogance is annoying!

Old 01-22-2012, 05:46 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Exactly. That's why you should REALLY plan well if you know that you have no family to fall back on.

As we have seen in recent months even the best planning/planners sometimes is not enough.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:53 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
The number of people who get FOOD STAMPS is at an all time high. It is busting our budget. But on the other hand I don't want kids to starve. But at what income should the working poor be allowed to qualify for Food Stamps?

I was talking to some relatives who are getting Food Stamps for the first time recently. I asked them what happened to them recently that forced them to apply for Food Stamps in 2011 for the first time. Their answer: "Nothing, the government loosed eligibility requirements so people at our income level qualified." So I looked into it and found out that while the recession and unemployment and falling wages are a part of the rapid increase in Food Stamps; a even larger reason for the increase in Food Stamp use is the government has raised the income a family can make and still be eligible. Is this a good idea?

The conversation about Food Stamps with our relatives ended when their son wanted to talk about their upcoming trip to California and a week they will spend at the Disneyland Hotel!
I found out from an acquaintance in California that Taco Bell accepts food stamps. WTH? Interesting that the family gets food stamps and can take a vacation to Disneyland.

Last edited by pommysmommy; 01-22-2012 at 06:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies