Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:09 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think Jesus and Mother Theresa said this too-- feeding the poor is madness!
Not at the end of a roman spear.

Mother Theresa was in India....those folks are truly needy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Ensuring all of our citizens have food, and never have to worry about starving to death... what madness has this world come to?! I swear, some of you guys WANT us to sink to third-world status.
By keeping the poor poor, we take away any incentive for them.

I would venture to say, knowing some who are on food stamps, that they would not be starving in the streets.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:14 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think Jesus and Mother Theresa said this too-- feeding the poor is madness!
Yeah, they were total liberal loonies - right?

"If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one."
"Let us touch the dying, the poor, the lonely and the unwanted according to the graces we have received and let us not be ashamed or slow to do the humble work."
"Our life of poverty is as necessary as the work itself. Only in heaven will we see how much we owe to the poor for helping us to love God better because of them." - Mother Teresa

"For the needy shall not always be forgotten: the expectation of the poor shall not perish for ever." (Psalm 9:18)
"I will satisfy her poor with bread." (Psalm 132:15)

Old 01-22-2012, 06:15 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,844 times
It just seems to me that the working poor have so many subsidies that increase their income to middle class levels that are costs the government and us taxpayers a fortune. In earlier times if someone was working minimum wage jobs they just had to suffer and live a lower standard of living than someone who went to school worked hard and fought for better jobs so they could live a better life.

Now with food stamps, Earned income tax credit, rent subsidies, reduced utilities, etc, a family making minimum wage can live a middle class lifestyle, all paid by the US Taxpayers.

Here is a challenge to someone. Take a man and a wife both working at a Fast Food Restaurant making $7.40 an hour full time, who have two kids. What government benefits could they get to subsidize their income? List everything possible if they really worked the system. What would be their take home income from their fast food job and how much additional money would they get from government programs like Food Stamps? (In the US State you live in)

Old 01-22-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
By keeping the poor poor, we take away any incentive for them.

I would venture to say, knowing some who are on food stamps, that they would not be starving in the streets.
What about those who WOULD be starving in the streets? Do you doubt such people exist, and should we punish them for the abusers?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
It just seems to me that the working poor have so many subsidies that increase their income to middle class levels that are costs the government and us taxpayers a fortune. In earlier times if someone was working minimum wage jobs they just had to suffer and live a lower standard of living than someone who went to school worked hard and fought for better jobs so they could live a better life.

Now with food stamps, Earned income tax credit, rent subsidies, reduced utilities, etc, a family making minimum wage can live a middle class lifestyle, all paid by the US Taxpayers.
Hardly. Trust me, they live nowhere near a "middle class lifestyle," even with taking advantage of all available assistance... especially not in higher COL areas, like where I live.

And again, many of these things you mention are only for families - whereas the working-class childless folks get screwed, as always.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Yeah, they were total liberal loonies - right?

"If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one."
"Let us touch the dying, the poor, the lonely and the unwanted according to the graces we have received and let us not be ashamed or slow to do the humble work."
"Our life of poverty is as necessary as the work itself. Only in heaven will we see how much we owe to the poor for helping us to love God better because of them." - Mother Teresa

"For the needy shall not always be forgotten: the expectation of the poor shall not perish for ever." (Psalm 9:18)
"I will satisfy her poor with bread." (Psalm 132:15)
Did you notice all of the quotes that say feed the leviathan which is the federal government and let them distribute what's left to the political poor.

But you hypocrites ignore Mother Theresa when she spoke about the brutality of abortion.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:19 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
The number of people who get FOOD STAMPS is at an all time high. It is busting our budget. But on the other hand I don't want kids to starve. But at what income should the working poor be allowed to qualify for Food Stamps?

I was talking to some relatives who are getting Food Stamps for the first time recently. I asked them what happened to them recently that forced them to apply for Food Stamps in 2011 for the first time. Their answer: "Nothing, the government loosed eligibility requirements so people at our income level qualified." So I looked into it and found out that while the recession and unemployment and falling wages are a part of the rapid increase in Food Stamps; a even larger reason for the increase in Food Stamp use is the government has raised the income a family can make and still be eligible. Is this a good idea?

The conversation about Food Stamps with our relatives ended when their son wanted to talk about their upcoming trip to California and a week they will spend at the Disneyland Hotel!
And let the millions who need Food Stamps Starve?
If we taxed the rich the cost of feeding the poor would not be "breaking " us. How about raising the minimum wage to a point that anyone working 40 hours would be ineligible? Currently half of the employees of SLAVEMART are getting Food Stamps while the owners have more money than 100,000,000 Americans. So we are subsidizing their greed with our tax dollars and Food Stamps

Old 01-22-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Hardly. Trust me, they live nowhere near a "middle class lifestyle," even with taking advantage of all available assistance... especially not in higher COL areas, like where I live.

And again, many of these things you mention are only for families - whereas the working-class childless folks get screwed, as always.
"you are the author of your fate"

Family, friends, neighbors and other charitable organizations are there for you.

If we still had strong family values.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:28 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
I am part of the working poor and recieve food stamps now called SNAPS, the reason there are so many on them today is the current economy. Many of us ran out of unemployment, unable to find work and now qualify for SNAPS. The only job I could get is one that has no guarented hours at minimum wage and yes I continue to look for work, my area of the country has been hit especially hard and our unemployment rate remains hovering at 10% or more.

I'm now 61 years old and have worked hard all my life and never expected this to happen to me. I had no debt except a very modest mortgage.

I'm not sure why it is people don't understand we are in the worst recession/depression in our lifetimes and millions of good hard working people are hurting and SNAPS is often the difference between starving or not.

I don't understand the constant hate towards the poor, many who were once middle class people and now face horrific decisions every day. Until the economy recovers the SNAPS situation will not change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies