Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 06:42 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times

Advertisements

No one should go hungry...period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:45 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Right now solar power factories cannot compete because of the manipulation of money by the Chinese. It is wasting the tax payers dollars.

Obama wants to shut down the coal industry and many coal miners will lose their jobs as well. This being said, it will also create higher electric bills for many poor people who are struggling to buy food and gas which has drastically risen. Since Obama became president, the cost of gas went from $1.59 to $3.40 . now that is some jump in three years. The working poor and people on fixed incomes cannot keep up and the price of gas is expected to keep rising at a very fast pace.

The fact that diesel fuel is needed to truck food all over the country , the prices of food will continue to rise and if one thinks there is hunger now,, it will continue to get much worse as inflation becomes a run away train and a loaf of bread is $5 and Milk $8 and that is just two items.
I have lived near and in the Appalachian region all my life. Most people who work for the coal industry do so because they have no other alternative. And most don't want further degredation of the environment. After all, it's their home. Give them an alternative and we'll see how many stop working for the coal barons.

As for the price of gasoline, it is far cheaper here than in most other countries, particularly in Europe. But let's look at gas prices, shall we?

As you can see, the price started to rise under the previous administration. And the reason is two-fold - the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and because India and China are now using far more oil than they did in previous decades. It is a result of the success of pulling hundreds of millions of people out of dire poverty in those countries. The cost has been higher oil prices due to increased competition for a dwindling natural resource. Like it or not, we have no alternative but to move towards alternative, renewable energy resources.

Let's look at inflation too, shall we?

http://inflationdata.com/inflation/i...inflation.aspx

If you look at the annual rate, you will find that inflation here in the states is, in fact, not an issue. AT ALL.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:46 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
The number of people who get FOOD STAMPS is at an all time high. It is busting our budget. But on the other hand I don't want kids to starve. But at what income should the working poor be allowed to qualify for Food Stamps?

I was talking to some relatives who are getting Food Stamps for the first time recently. I asked them what happened to them recently that forced them to apply for Food Stamps in 2011 for the first time. Their answer: "Nothing, the government loosed eligibility requirements so people at our income level qualified." So I looked into it and found out that while the recession and unemployment and falling wages are a part of the rapid increase in Food Stamps; a even larger reason for the increase in Food Stamp use is the government has raised the income a family can make and still be eligible. Is this a good idea?

The conversation about Food Stamps with our relatives ended when their son wanted to talk about their upcoming trip to California and a week they will spend at the Disneyland Hotel!
Only AFTER any and ALL assistance to Illegal Aliens AND their Anchor Babies is cut off. ( Yes the money sent to Illegal Alien parents as a reward for violating American laws, that money). Also when the ( Dream) Nightmare act is killed in ALL states.

AFTER Illegal aliens have their freebies removed, THEN we can address the Americans that abuse/game the system.

Americans and LEGAL immigrants come first BEFORE we address this issue.

This Government is spending billions on Illegals that have NO right to be here at all.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:49 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
No one should go hungry...period.
This is a free country and if you are capable of working yet too lazy to work IF presented that opportunity then they have chosen to go hungry.

PERIOD.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:52 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I think you should spend a couple of days at the food stamp office and talk to some of the people who work there and some of their clients before you put them out on the street with no food. I don't know what state gives out free phones, but they don't give them out here, otherwise I'd have signed up for it. I pay for my phone service like everybody else. Secondly, you folk who are so dead set against any kind of assistance to poor Americans need to explain to the rest of us how it is that you believe that the poor, many of whom work (many in more than one job) don't deserve the assistance that YOU provide them, ignoring the fact that they are paying taxes as well. In fact, as a whole, the poor in this country pay more in taxes than many fortune 500 companies who don't pay ANY TAXES AT ALL! You want to end welfare? End corporate welfare! End freebies to the ultra rich!
Years ago I worked at a welfare department in NJ. I was in many departments and was involved with income maintenance, budgets and mail outs to recipients. Mail outs were sent to recipients every 6 months to see if they were still eligible or if their status had changed. I worked with caseworkers who were sent out in the field .

I do know of free cell phone usage in NYC but it is limited. It could be a state program benefit.If you have real need , there are programs listed to each state. See if you are eligible. I see nothing wrong with someone who needs true assistance to get it. I have seen many cheaters as well who use the system and lie to get benefits they are not entitled to.

This angers me somewhat as I feel some get the shaft and others get to live lofty off the system and think they are quite the sly one.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
I bet alot of welfare money was sent in with small donations.that is what they reported as many many small donations of 5 and 10 dollars during Obama first campaign.. Obama gave another welfare raise hoping for more welfare money contributions.
Post a link. I have one.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2010pubs/p20-562.pdf

As you can see if you open the link and look at it, the voting rate is directly related to income level and education level. In other words, it goes up with each.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Well, actually it was the Clinton administration that kept saying that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction. Let's get honest here. The democrats as well voted to go to war and later because of their weak character , back pedaled to say it was wrong.. how low can one go.
Here are some of the quotes the democrats said about Saddam and his weapons of mass destruction.

One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
--President Bill Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
--President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

"Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
--Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
--Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
Letter to President Clinton, signed by:
-- Democratic Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others, Oct. 9, 1998

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
-Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."
-- Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

"There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies."
Letter to President Bush, Signed by:
-- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), and others, Dec 5, 2001

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and th! e means of delivering them."
-- Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
-- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
-- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
-- Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
-- Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force -- if necessary -- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
-- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
-- Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

"He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do"
-- Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members ... It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
-- Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction."
-- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real..."
-- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003

I do not like war... who does? There was war in heaven when satan himself was kicked out. I wish we all would live in peace. Can you imagine is no money was ever used to create war?.. we would all live much better.

There is real threat out in the world.. we are extremely fortunate not to have fought a war on our own soil. We Americans have been strong enough to keep our foes from invading us.
So this is a religious thing? OMG!

Look, you post post those quotes as if Bush had no choice but to ignore what ALL of his allies were telling him, what the UN was telling him, and what many people here at home were telling him. You post those quotes as if you think Clinton was right, and therefore Bush was right. Well? Where are the WMDs, dude?

They lied to us. Weird thing is when they figured out that there were no wmds they stopped lying to us. Why did they stop lying to us? I was just getting comfortable with my country lying to me, and then they stopped! Holy batcrap!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:01 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I have lived near and in the Appalachian region all my life. Most people who work for the coal industry do so because they have no other alternative. And most don't want further degredation of the environment. After all, it's their home. Give them an alternative and we'll see how many stop working for the coal barons.

As for the price of gasoline, it is far cheaper here than in most other countries, particularly in Europe. But let's look at gas prices, shall we?

As you can see, the price started to rise under the previous administration. And the reason is two-fold - the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and because India and China are now using far more oil than they did in previous decades. It is a result of the success of pulling hundreds of millions of people out of dire poverty in those countries. The cost has been higher oil prices due to increased competition for a dwindling natural resource. Like it or not, we have no alternative but to move towards alternative, renewable energy resources.

Let's look at inflation too, shall we?

http://inflationdata.com/inflation/i...inflation.aspx

If you look at the annual rate, you will find that inflation here in the states is, in fact, not an issue. AT ALL.
Check out three years.. on this chart and see how much it has risen.

http://www.tomsrivergasprices.com/Re...ice_Chart.aspx

Old 01-23-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
This is a free country and if you are capable of working yet too lazy to work IF presented that opportunity then they have chosen to go hungry.

PERIOD.
Assuming that everyone on government assistance is lazy is just lazy (and wreckless) thinking. Period!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:02 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
If you had of read my post you would see that I said the father DOES NOT, let me repeat, DOES NOT buy prepackaged foods and cooks a lot of things from scratch. He tries to use fresh veggies/fruits, buys chicken/beef etc. when it is on sale and uses coupons.

Why do people assume everyone getting assistance loads up on crap? Some people do try and prepare healthy meals.

Oh yeah, the teenagers have applied for a host of jobs, even McD's isn't hiring in their community.
They should think outside the box......

Landscaping

Trash cleanup

Helping a contractor

Deliver papers

Recycle cans

Run errands for elderly and disabled

There are numerous jobs for industrious minded young men and women.

They don't all include working for some corporation and having set schedules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies