Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 04:46 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times

Advertisements

Credit card debt in this country is like 25k. Thats money ppl didn't earn yet or payed off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 06:55 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Internet service is free in many areas. Older computers are practically free.
What a sucker I've been! I thought you had to pay for that kind of stuff. What else can you get for free in this country???

Old 08-18-2013, 08:52 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,177,908 times
I used to be pretty accepting of the fact that people fall on hard times, & therefore could use a little help.
That opinion had changed, basically because of,where I live & work....it's shocking to see so many people on foodstamps. And they're not even humble about it- they brag how easy it is go get on the program, & nobody checks to verify anything.
Now that I see how my taxes are being pi$$ed away, it actually infuriates me at times.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:00 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I used to be pretty accepting of the fact that people fall on hard times, & therefore could use a little help.
That opinion had changed, basically because of,where I live & work....it's shocking to see so many people on foodstamps. And they're not even humble about it- they brag how easy it is go get on the program, & nobody checks to verify anything.
Now that I see how my taxes are being pi$$ed away, it actually infuriates me at times.
If you aren't talking about cutting defense, social security, or medicare then you aren't ready to have a serious conversation about spending.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:23 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
If you aren't talking about cutting defense, social security, or medicare then you aren't ready to have a serious conversation about spending.

I think some defense spending needs to be revised and we need to look at out own resources, not at countries who save their money to destroy the U.S. Cutting all defense will only leave us more open to terror, taking care of our own borders should be priority and it isn't. If you think kick back and let the world go around as some in the world plan our demise, you might want to move to a country that doesn't like us.

Social Security and Medicare do more to help the actual poor than those on food stamps claiming Obama phones. Those having how many children with how many men, how many men walking away from their responsibility? Why should these people NOT work?

If one has worked and put into SS one should get it back......some of these Food Stamps recipients have never worked and they are the ones who are draining the SS & medicare system, money mismanaged.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:18 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I think some defense spending needs to be revised and we need to look at out own resources, not at countries who save their money to destroy the U.S. Cutting all defense will only leave us more open to terror, taking care of our own borders should be priority and it isn't. If you think kick back and let the world go around as some in the world plan our demise, you might want to move to a country that doesn't like us.
I didn't say cut all US defense spending. What I said is if people want to discuss spending and aren't talking about defense, medicare, or social security then they aren't willing to have a serious discussion.

Having said that, the USA spends far more than we need to. People will say "but what about the terrorists". Terrorists only target us because we can't mind our own business. Then they will say "we have a larger GDP so of course we spend more", but if you look at military expenditures as a percent of GDP we are at 4.7% - which is right in line with most poor or war torn countries. Peaceful countries spend around 2%.

Military expenditure (% of GDP) | Data | Table

Quote:
Social Security and Medicare do more to help the actual poor than those on food stamps claiming Obama phones. Those having how many children with how many men, how many men walking away from their responsibility? Why should these people NOT work?
They do work, they just don't get paid much. Men are also required to pay child support, but paying child support does not disqualify someone from food stamps.

Quote:
If one has worked and put into SS one should get it back......some of these Food Stamps recipients have never worked and they are the ones who are draining the SS & medicare system, money mismanaged.
It would be nice in theory to get the money back, but let's face it. SS is welfare and an inter-generational wealth transfer from the young to the old and the return is below 2% for the vast majority of people. That's not to say that welfare for old people is a bad idea, but we should adopt a system similar to Australia. As it stands SS benefits will be cut by 28% in about 20 years because that program is not allowed to be deficit financed.

You seem to be under the impression that I have said things that I never said.

My claim is that if you want to talk about spending and you aren't talking about defense, SS, or medicare then you aren't willing to have a serious conversation. The reason for that is the big 3 consume the vast majority of our budget and the budget is driven by medicare. If all programs except for medicare are frozen our debt load will still increase because that program's expenses are growing faster than everything else

Furthermore, healthcare is largely just a cost and while it is necessary at times it doesn't usually have any ROI at the end of life. With that said, reducing the cost of healthcare delivery would allow the money that we do spend to go further than it does.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:

True.

Foods stamps and Medicaid recipients can even be foreigners crossing the border illegally but pregnant or soon to be -- all they have to do is get over here in time for the birth and you've got a new household supported with food stamps and Medicaid and all kinds of other government handouts.

The elderly American citizens is a limited set of people. You have to have paid in for 10 years in order to get Medicare and Social Security -- they're not open to the whole world like food stamps and Medicaid are, and births don't add to the pool of recipients.

It's the very rapid growth of food stamps and Medicaid that are concerning because there are no limits at all on the numbers that can be added and they are for perfectly able bodied young people, so healthy they have sky high birth rates.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:41 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
If anti-terrorism is your objective, strategic bombers, mirv missiles, and nuclear arms do nothing against terrorists. There is no reason the U.S. needs to spend as much as nearly the entire rest of the world combined.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:24 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
+5 @ lycos679,

Way to knock it out of the park. Further we also should talk about who else has there handout that isn't obvious.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:33 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,065 times
Social security is NOT welfare. It is a contract we pay for out of our own pockets to keep ourselves out of the gutter when our employers, for whom we've broken our bodies and our souls for all of our adult lives, jip us of our hard-earned retirement. Kept in good faith and with the full backing of the U.S. government, i.e., the American people. That used to mean something, even to conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies