Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:04 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That would require raising the minimum wage to $20/hour in high-cost areas like the west coast, and then a bunch of jobs would be eliminated
so those still working would have to do a lot more for the same pay. Also, there would still be those unemployable or unwilling to work to deal with.
Plus stores like WM would crush the local stores if everyone had to pay a higher min wage. They can absorb the wage hike but many local stores will cut back head count or move ops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 02:16 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Today's right-wingers are thirsty for blood. They want to see the poor suffer and die.
You can't be serious!

Old 01-22-2012, 03:12 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Today's right-wingers are thirsty for blood. They want to see the poor suffer and die.
Who would work in our factories and wash our cars and do our laundry and mow our grass? We just want to see you suffer. You're no good to us dead!

/sarcasm off/

I hope your post is as sarcastic and facetious as mine!

Old 01-22-2012, 03:36 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
When companies have to pay higher wages, of course the money has to come from somewhere. I think it would be best to cut wages for the higher income ranks accordingly in order to compensate. Maybe a simple rule like that the highest aggregate (meaning all kinds of income combined) income of a company's full-time employee may not be more than, say, three times the lowest aggregate income.
Another idea would be to no longer state income in terms of absolute amounts in contracts, but in percentages of profits. This way companies could create a relative income spectrum that will stay the same regardless of profits, but change in absolute amounts. And it might motivate people to do their best.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:46 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
When companies have to pay higher wages, of course the money has to come from somewhere. I think it would be best to cut wages for the higher income ranks accordingly in order to compensate. Maybe a simple rule like that the highest aggregate (meaning all kinds of income combined) income of a company's full-time employee may not be more than, say, three times the lowest aggregate income.
Another idea would be to no longer state income in terms of absolute amounts in contracts, but in percentages of profits. This way companies could create a relative income spectrum that will stay the same regardless of profits, but change in absolute amounts. And it might motivate people to do their best.
Really? You think a senior development engineer at a software company or a CTO is only worth 3 times what a janitor is? Ahhh yes, I know what this is: The old "everybody should have the same quality of life, because this would result in an increase in the quality of life for me at the expense of you" argument.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:57 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Washington State and the City of San Francisco have raised the minimum wage up to nearly $10 an hour. What impact has this had on the amount of working poor? Would raising the minimum wage up to $12 eliminate many of the working poor? Would it save the government money because less people would be eligible for food stamps and earned income tax credits?
I can tell you from first hand experience what it will do. It will eliminate many jobs. Some jobs are simply not worth that much to an employer. So, the jobs are eliminated, and everyone else takes on more work.

That's just the way it works. Of course, politicians don' think about that, because many of them have never worked in the private sector. They think the employers will just cough up the extra cash.

Another unintended consequence is that if those jobs do say around, everyone else expects a raise too. After all those at the low end of the pay scale just got an increase. They are doing more work, and have more experience. Therefore, to keep things equitable, they want a corresponding increase.

Government dictated minimum wages are not good for employer/employee relationships. I breeds jealousies, and hostility. That's why those jobs will usually just be eliminated.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, that.

Do you guys have any idea how much it costs to live in San Francisco? I lived there for 4 years making nearly triple of the minimum wage - living in a reasonably-priced house in an iffy neighborhood with 2 roommates, and fairly low monthly expenses. And I was barely scraping by every month! The recent increase is a move in the right direction, but $10/hr is still basically poverty around here.
Good luck. Don't be surprised if you get fired. You'd better improve your skills if you want to keep your job. You're employer just may decide you aren't worth the extra he's going to have to pay out.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
What an irresponsible and ugly lie!! Such baloney. Why don't you join former Conressman from FL, Alan Grayson! You sound just like him.

What you want is the maximum pay for the least amount of work. You deserve to be fired! With your attitude, you would be the last person I would hire, even to sweep the floor!

Old 01-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The OP seems to want people to die.
This is the second thread he's started today wanting to abolish food stamps and help for the poor.
Pffffffft!!! Liberals!!! Why are liberals so stupid?

Old 01-22-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Are you entitled to live there?
He's entitled to live anywhere he can afford. But, that's your point, of course. He can't afford it.

I think he needs to upgrade his skills if he wants to keep living there. Otherwise, move to Mississippi!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies