Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:38 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times

Advertisements

There is a huge difference between Midwesterners and Northeasterners from the Philly-New York-Boston Corridor. In Florida, I can pick out the northeasterners without hearing a word.

Northeasterners act and look differently than folks in the rest of the country. Midwesterners have more in common with Southerners (at least they look and act about the same).

Rednecks take on different themes around the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
when i moved to the south, i did not feel like a southerner. i felt like a fish out of water. much like if i moved to nigeria, i'd probably feel like an american living in nigeria, and probably wouldn't feel comfortable calling myself nigerian just because i lived there. the only scenario where i might is if i completely fell in love with the culture and felt more at home in nigeria than the u.s., at which point i would probably call myself 'nigerian at heart' or something to that effect--but that's still more the exception than the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 09:46 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
There is a huge difference between Midwesterners and Northeasterners from the Philly-New York-Boston Corridor. In Florida, I can pick out the northeasterners without hearing a word.

Northeasterners act and look differently than folks in the rest of the country. Midwesterners have more in common with Southerners (at least they look and act about the same).

Rednecks take on different themes around the country.
i can't handle new york city cause it's too much going on, too fast, too loud. now i know how rural people feel when they come into d.c. or another big city. but the one thing i do like about nyc is it only takes a few years to be considered a new yorker. in fact most 'new yorkers' didn't grow up in new york, so being a transplant is more of a common thread than anything else.

i love boston and don't know philly well. do you know if any of those places are the kind of places that would call a person born-and-raised in alabama their own if that person acclimated to the culture?

Old 01-22-2012, 09:56 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times
Transplants can acclimate and get along anywhere, but they are still Southern, or Californian, or whatever.

New Yorkers will adapt to Houston, or Houstonians will adapt to New York. A New Yorker may live in Texas but will never be a Texan, like the Texan will never be a New Yorker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
i can't handle new york city cause it's too much going on, too fast, too loud. now i know how rural people feel when they come into d.c. or another big city. but the one thing i do like about nyc is it only takes a few years to be considered a new yorker. in fact most 'new yorkers' didn't grow up in new york, so being a transplant is more of a common thread than d white fo
anything else.

i love boston and don't know philly well. do you know if any of those places are the kind of places that would call a person born-and-raised in alabama their own if that person acclimated to the culture?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:01 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Transplants can acclimate and get along anywhere, but they are still Southern, or Californian, or whatever.

New Yorkers will adapt to Houston, or Houstonians will adapt to New York. A New Yorker may live in Texas but will never be a Texan, like the Texan will never be a New Yorker.
But I do believe we Southerners are unique in our identifying ourselves by where we were born and raised. I do not think, based on my knowledge of other areas, that they have the same views. Doesn't necessarily mean one is better than the other; just a different way of looking at things.

Many Southerners tend to stay where their families have always lived for generations. Perhaps that is one of the reasons for this type of viewpoint.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:29 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,114 times
Experts debate the so called BC

Experts Debate Obamas Birth Certificate 01/21 by Mark Gillar | Blog Talk Radio

Old 01-22-2012, 10:31 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Wrong thread....

Old 01-22-2012, 10:33 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
But why is calling someone "ma'am" considered polite? I think it sounds silly. And a lot of people don't like being called 'sir' or 'ma'am' because it makes them feel old.

When someone calls me 'sir', I usually ask them to call me by my first name.
Because it is.

I do the same you do, but it's a sign of respect. That I appreciate.

It's a lot better than being called "dude" or "chick" or "woman" or "hey, man" or "hey, you".

Old 01-22-2012, 10:38 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
No.
Why not?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:40 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Because it is.

I do the same you do, but it's a sign of respect. That I appreciate.

It's a lot better than being called "dude" or "chick" or "woman" or "hey, man" or "hey, you".
Or the one that really drives me nuts. Saying 'yeah' to answer a question. Even just 'yes' is better than that although I would prefer 'yes ma'am' if the person answering were younger.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:42 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Or the one that really drives me nuts. Saying 'yeah' to answer a question. Even just 'yes' is better than that although I would prefer 'yes ma'am' if the person answering were younger.
If a woman is younger than me but still an adult woman, I still call her ma'am. I don't feel I have to, but it's the same respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies