Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:28 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Oh that's right, it's not about race.
No! It's not about race, don't try and make it one...

Old 01-24-2012, 04:35 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
How hard is it to understand a question? What are your observations?
Mine is clear in post #185.

Quote:
I gave mine based on this and several other discussions with black colleagues. It isn't the gospel It is so different from what I was hearing 3-4 years ago. I simply asked what is anyone or everyoone reading my thread hearing on their end. Big country so I expect diverse answers.
Your original post was meant to slag on Democrats, but try to avoid the resulting flak.

"It's not MY idea."

Quote:
I don't need permission . Freedom of speech is still alive unless that ends ..noone should ask permission to say or express anything
But you seemed to be asking permission to consider uneducated unemployed blacks the face of the Democratic Party. And then see how many would support that viewpoint.

Carry on.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:43 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
How hard is it to understand a question? What are your observations? I gave mine based on this and several other discussions with black colleagues. It isn't the gospel It is so different from what I was hearing 3-4 years ago. I simply asked what is anyone or everyoone reading my thread hearing on their end. Big country so I expect diverse answers. I don't need permission . Freedom of speech is still alive unless that ends ..noone should ask permission to say or express anything
People are having a hard time understanding you b/c your "observation" is so astoundingly... out there. You talk to a couple of Black doctors & nurses, so your conclusion is that "Obviously if you're Black, intelligent, and look into the policies, you'd vote Republican; and if you don't then you're a dummy..."

And that plays exactly into the same borderline racism of Blacks only vote Democrat to keep the welfare train running, b/c as everyone knows: most Blacks are on welfare...

Old 01-24-2012, 04:49 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Nope wrong on all accounts. They voted for Obama like many because a change was needed. He represented Change Change Change...Hope Hope Hope. I almost fell for it myself. He is such an eloquent speaker, draws you in. But he could talk the talk he just didn't walk the walk and that is what I believe some (not all or most) are considering not voting for him again. He boosted the esteem of the African Americans in this country but i believe he has let them down because race is a bigger issue now then it was back when ol GW was in office. Black families call each other sell outs if they didn't vote for Obama. No other election has evoked that response IMO

To be totally honest, Obama's ability as a speaker is really no different from what AAs have witnessed for years from black preachers in churches and on street corners. He just just took what he grew up observing from people like Jerimiah Wrights and just applied it on a much grander scale.

It's something that not a lot of whites have been exposed to, but trust me, it is a cultural part of the black church, especially with Baptists and Penecostals. You can find tons of preachers in black churches in Atlanta who can draw people in with the same method.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:50 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,166,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
People are having a hard time understanding you b/c your "observation" is so astoundingly... out there. You talk to a couple of Black doctors & nurses, so your conclusion is that "Obviously if you're Black, intelligent, and look into the policies, you'd vote Republican; and if you don't then you're a dummy..."

And that plays exactly into the same borderline racism of Blacks only vote Democrat to keep the welfare train running, b/c as everyone knows: most Blacks are on welfare...
Never said anyone is a dummy EVER Everyone has the right to choose.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Mine is clear in post #185.

Your original post was meant to slag on Democrats, but try to avoid the resulting flak.

"It's not MY idea."

But you seemed to be asking permission to consider uneducated unemployed blacks the face of the Democratic Party. And then see how many would support that viewpoint.

Carry on.
No never asked for support of a viewpoint but did ask if many agree with what I heard. I was brought up by two democrats and I have voted democrat & republican and have also considered being independent. I consider myself a moderate with some liberal ideas and some very conservative ones as well. I vote for the person not the party but I think most do vote party.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:38 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
No! It's not about race, don't try and make it one...
You know, if it can't be about that, the chances of winning, start to dwindle

Old 01-24-2012, 06:42 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
Many blacks are just as conservative as republicans. The issue is that many republicans come across as condesending and arrogant when addressing blacks about politics. They believe we are to stupid, lazy and ignorant to know what is best for us. You vote democrat because you don't know any better. They never stop to think that they person they are speaking with is educated and smart. They never stop to think that republican party has never had a message for blacks. They could careless about the black vote and see no need to reach out to them. Because of this attitude I would never join the party. This is not to say I would not vote for a republican because I have.....but joining a party with so many people who share this belief is not something I would ever be a part of. The can point out every failure of the democrat party but can't point to one accomplishment regarding their own party. I mean honestly who would want to join a party who believes you are inferior to them. I would challenge any republican to read thru this tread and ask themselves why would a black person vote for the republican party. It's not the message that is the problem but the messenger.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Many blacks are just as conservative as republicans. The issue is that many republicans come across as condesending and arrogant when addressing blacks about politics. They believe we are to stupid, lazy and ignorant to know what is best for us. You vote democrat because you don't know any better. They never stop to think that they person they are speaking with is educated and smart. They never stop to think that republican party has never had a message for blacks. They could careless about the black vote and see no need to reach out to them. Because of this attitude I would never join the party. This is not to say I would not vote for a republican because I have.....but joining a party with so many people who share this belief is not something I would ever be a part of. The can point out every failure of the democrat party but can't point to one accomplishment regarding their own party. I mean honestly who would want to join a party who believes you are inferior to them. I would challenge any republican to read thru this tread and ask themselves why would a black person vote for the republican party. It's not the message that is the problem but the messenger.
I do agree with alot of what you have said but please don't lump all who choose to vote republican the same. I started this thread based on hearing a trend among black colleagues. Doesn't make it fact across the board but i was curious if it was across the country!

Old 01-24-2012, 08:02 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
Default Are uneducated unemployed blacks becoming the face of the Democratic Party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
To be totally honest, Obama's ability as a speaker is really no different from what AAs have witnessed for years from black preachers in churches and on street corners. He just just took what he grew up observing from people like Jerimiah Wrights and just applied it on a much grander scale.

It's something that not a lot of whites have been exposed to, but trust me, it is a cultural part of the black church, especially with Baptists and Penecostals. You can find tons of preachers in black churches in Atlanta who can draw people in with the same method.
You are correct in the ability of Black Preachers being able to get their point across and preaching one heck of a sermon. The only white people that have been exposed to that kind of 'sermon' happened many years ago, probably for the first time in Germany, around 1943-45. That speaker got everyone's attention too... I hope that is where the similarities end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies