Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:58 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
We need universal health care. I don't know how anyone could say health care isn't a right... it's about helping your fellow man.

Its about getting someone else to pay your bills. Plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 07:19 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
I know an EE with a masters. Has had the same job and health insurance since sometime in the 1970s.

Wife gets strokes and other misc problems and even he had a 2 month stint with some sort of gut problem. The bill is $1 million++++. I know all the righties like to decry losers without health insurance not being their problem. This guy is an engineering manager with a masters. He did everything he ever should have.

Because of maximums he is RUINED. His house is in foreclosure. His daughter had to quit college in HER SENIOR YEAR. (she is going to return next year but she lost time). Health care in this country is in bad bad shape.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:49 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Does anyone have a solution that involves people doing more hard work...or are everyone's solutions centered around more money being spent all the time?

Seriously. For anything?
I worked hard. Then I got cancer when I was 23.

I plan on continuing to work hard. That is unless I relapse and die because I am unable to afford treatment, which is likely. That's what happens in this country. That's what I have watched happen to my friends in the young adult cancer survivor community.

What is wrong with this country that views are so black and white that "hard work" fixes everything? My 6 months of treatment cost more than my parents' house. I got out easy. A stem cell transplant will be in the millions. How exactly is my "hard work" supposed to plan for that?

Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I know an EE with a masters. Has had the same job and health insurance since sometime in the 1970s.

Wife gets strokes and other misc problems and even he had a 2 month stint with some sort of gut problem. The bill is $1 million++++. I know all the righties like to decry losers without health insurance not being their problem. This guy is an engineering manager with a masters. He did everything he ever should have.

Because of maximums he is RUINED. His house is in foreclosure. His daughter had to quit college in HER SENIOR YEAR. (she is going to return next year but she lost time). Health care in this country is in bad bad shape.
I'll save the right-wing nut jobs the time and type out what they'd say:

Quote:
Well obviously uh FREEDOM uh he should have uh COMMUNISM maybe saved uh a million dollars OBAMA THE ANTICHRIST KENYAN
Hell I consider myself more center and maybe even right of center but universal health care is one thing I'll never stop supporting.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:42 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
We need universal health care. I don't know how anyone could say health care isn't a right... it's about helping your fellow man.
It's not a right. It is, however, financially smarter at the national level. I'm an advocate of a national plan simply because it makes the most financial sense.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:39 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
We pay a LOT in taxes. If you add up all the upfronts and then calculate all the hidden taxes built into costs, fees, etc, we don't pay less than countries with universal healthcare. Why do they have it and we don't?

Cost of a major illness goes beyond the realm of personal responsibility. 99% of us are one major illness away from bankruptcy. Even those of us who have insurance. And how many of us are up to date on checkups and dental work?

Let him who has never eaten a twinkie judge those who have. Everyone makes choices that aren't the best. You may avoid twinkies and fast food, work out constantly, and then spend your vacation climbing K2. Everyone has risk factors and they all even out. It's just living life. That's what insurance is all about, averaging the risk over a large number of people. We are all going to get sick and die.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:46 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times
My daughter's boyfriend's son had of those really cheap, but high deductible plans. He had a massive stroke and died in 2007. The insurance refuses to pay because he was treated out of network. The intital bill was around $250K. My daughter's boyfriend can not/will not pay for it. So the hospital had to eat it.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:20 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Actually, spending less money for better results is clearly possible. Because that is the default setting in the rest of the First World. From operating without Americas advantages.
Do you think if the government ran it would spend less money for better results?

Old 01-24-2012, 03:25 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Obviously, we need health care reform, but the "Obama" bill isn't the one we need.

In the first place, it's not Obama's bill, but Congress'. They wrote it with very little input from the White House and it amounts to 2200 pages. In other words, it's health care reform by committee, a committee comprised of the very people who are taking money from big pharma, big healthcare and big insurance. Is it any wonder that it's grossly over-complicated and does more for the insurance industry than it does for us?

That's a cop out. Obama signed the damn thing into law and said he was proud to do so. He praised the legislation to no end. The congress wrote it but it's Obama's bill, period. No one put a gun to his head and forced him to sign it. You act as if the president is powerless to do anything about anything. The notion is laughable.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:33 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Do you think if the government ran it would spend less money for better results?
Every other government, working with less of an economics of scale advantage, get better results. Is the American government so inferior to all the rest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies