Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:58 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times

Advertisements

They'll find a way to smuggle weapons into places anyway.
Russia, China, Pakistan, Iran, hell, it'd make a pretty penny. It's called the "black market" for the reason- not many people are aware of where to go or who to talk to to procure certain items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 05:11 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
Well the USA sells weapons to just about every country in the middle east and Egypt so I guess that makes us selling weapons to those who use them to violate human rights, correct?
Our own government sells them fighter jets. Are they worried?

Quote:
the UN is a system in which all countries have equally weighted power. Something Americans don't like due to our bloated egos.
Do they give out participation trophies and smiley faces so countries like Crapistan won't feel so bad?

Quote:
Its not perfect but honestly it is going to be the best we can probably get.
What if we don't want or need it? The US funds the majority of it so other countries can "feel" equal to us. That's so special.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:52 PM

679 posts, read 660,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Our own government sells them fighter jets. Are they worried?

Do they give out participation trophies and smiley faces so countries like Crapistan won't feel so bad?

What if we don't want or need it? The US funds the majority of it so other countries can "feel" equal to us. That's so special.
Well despite it being somewhat equal we are also on the securty council and hold a large chunk of political sway in the UN. If our foreign policy wasn't constantly ran by morons we would have much more sway in the UN. Also considering we are the largest economy we would typically put forth more money than countries with smaller economies.

Also the reason the black market exists in the first place is because many weapons are improply transfered and are not kept track of. One of the Treaty's main goal is to improve these mechanisms.

This treaty won't solve all the world's violent problems, but I think it sure will help things out, some regions better than others.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:46 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
I don't think it will solve anything really, really, there's 7 decades of military firearms floating around, innumerable separatist/terrorist/nationalist/communist/drug-trafficking/human-trafficking groups, and ammunition isn't hard to come by because of standardization. The nature of the black market is to remain secret, and all this will do is prevent SOME of those NEW firearms from ending up in the wrong hands. Firearms can be stolen from storage containers, they can be taken from poorly guarded police/military/border guard/gendarmerie posts, etc.

If the UN thinks they can prevent or stop that, good luck with the seizures.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Well the USA sells weapons to just about every country in the middle east and Egypt so I guess that makes us selling weapons to those who use them to violate human rights, correct?

Also the UN serves a purpose many of us take for granted. Since the formation of the UN there has not been a conventional war (nuclear weapons were also a plus) but the UN is a system in which all countries have equally weighted power. Something Americans don't like due to our bloated egos.

Its not perfect but honestly it is going to be the best we can probably get.
I guess you were either asleep or not here yet in 1967 and in the 1970s when all those Arabs tried to whip the Israelis. My favorite war of all time was the Six Day War that was fought pretty conventional except that those Israelis used weapons to bomb the Egyptian Air Force that they couldn't fathom.

I think that Korea and even Vietnam were pretty conventional in nature. i remember when Harry Truman, who had pushed the UN through said he was sending troops and after the UN people finished about 2 weeks of debate they may send some troops. Truman had promised all those South East Asian countries that he would defend them from Communist countries and he did just that. i guess you weren't around back then, though. I just got out of high school about 2 weeks before Truman sent those troops to Korea. The UN did finally send some blue helmeted people but the Blue helmets did their fighting in headquarters areas. The Americans, Aussies, British and Turks made up the UN forces with an American commander at all times.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
You prove my point Roy of most Americans having no idea what this treaty is about or actually reading the framework of it. You only pay attention to what your little tin foil hat NRA morons will spout. I am a supporter of gun rights and the ability of a citizen to bear arms, but this treaty is needed globally to help stop people looking out for their own pocket books and sell weapons to those who fuel armed conflict. Is that a concept too hard for you to grasp?

Again this will not impair anyones right to bear arms and it really confuses me that you insist on spouting this obvious lie. Did you read the Chairman's draft paper? Of course not, you just continue to whine about anything Fox News will tell you too.

There is nothing in the treaty that says citizens of a country cannot purchase weapons. Nothing, zero, nada. This goes beyond America, it is an international problem but everyone, especially major arms exporters, need to be involved in order for this treaty to work. Treaties need the support of the entire international community otherwise it will become under-minded. China is on board, so is Russia, but of course you will come up with some retarded tin-foil hat response to why this is a plot to disarm the US citizens so they can invade us.

Of the thousands of posts you have made here, none of them are remotely intelligent or informed.

Again for those of us who are capable of critical thinking, do not believe the lies you are told. There has been too much work to be put into this treaty to let it be put down by the arms industry. This concerns the entire globe, not just the USA. Please read the Chairman's draft paper and ignore the rhetoric and lies of the puppets of the arms industry.

So you just called me stupid and unable to understand left leaning crap. I will let the mods determine what you need to have happen for that sentence.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Pakistan abstained from the ATT resolution vote but stated they are for it as long as special emphasis is placed on the largest world arms exporters, since they are concerned consider the militants in Pakistan are armed with rifles from Russia and China.

Also on a side note I would like to state the resolution on the ATT in the UN General Assembly clearly stated:

“the exclusive right of States to regulate internal transfers of arms and national ownership, including through constitutional protections on private ownership.”

This treaty has nothing to do with curbing the second amendment as Roy continues to proclaim.
How many of the other Middle Eastern nations signed this thing? Maybe I mean who signed it meaning to follow it?

If Hillary and Barack are so much in favor of it then I have to be against it.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:01 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
WE just flat need to get OUT of the UN..

Old 01-24-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How many of the other Middle Eastern nations signed this thing? Maybe I mean who signed it meaning to follow it?

If Hillary and Barack are so much in favor of it then I have to be against it.
So if someone is for it means you are against it?

Wow how much of a tool can you possibly be?

Also much of the middle east is looking to sign it, including Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Turkey, Yemen, Oman and believe it or not, Iran.

You clearly have not read anything about it at all.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
WE just flat need to get OUT of the UN..
Yes, lets forfeit our Security Council seat and isolate ourselves completely, that will surely work in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies