Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 02:05 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
You must be joking with this inquiry. The last time we had a Republican president, the country was in a free-fall. Republicans stink. This country works best when Republicans have no say in Congress, absolutely are not in the White House, and when the Supreme Court leans Left. It does great when liberal California is thriving, not when conservative Texas is.

Even suggesting that a Republican be president hurts the country. Get serious.
AMEN! Seriously! The GOP is just offering us career politicians with Newt or a corporate raider in Romney who tells us "Corporations are people" too! Republicans favor business while the Dems favor people.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:26 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
If you call the 8 years of tyrannical dictatorship under Bush normal, you need to see a shrink. That was probably the worst decade in American history followed closely by the Nixon decade.
Please describe how there was "tyrannical dictatorship"
when Bush had approval from Congress for practically everything.

(I really don't expect an answer.)

Old 01-24-2012, 02:31 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
When Obamacare is repealed, it will be a start.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:15 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Nice slick, underhanded way of saying "Globalization is the lesser of two evils over Corporatism"

Even though they correlate....
Correlation is not causation.

Globalization creates wealth for "Americans." The problem is that it creates wealth for American corporations , at the expense of the working lives of many Americans. So free trade is a net win, but creates domestic imbalances which need to be ironed out.

That alone is fine, but when you throw in all the "goodies" that corporations get, like tax breaks and easier access to Fed money -- you know what I'm talking about, all the "Job Creator" bull**** -- this crowds out the common person's ability to compete in terms of competition (entrepreneurship) and better wages. Big guys get bigger, everyone else gets smaller.

Quote:
I don't understand how you can discern what one party has done from the other in the last 30 years or so. There is tons of overlap.
well, here's my perception: Say you have an idea that passes into law. Usually it is the idea of Party A, and Party A wages such a successful propaganda campaign that they "shame" many members of Party B into supporting it.

that pattern seems to describe "how things get done in washington."

Old 01-24-2012, 05:33 AM

34 posts, read 28,883 times
In reply to the OP: It's difficult for the dems to have a "normal" presidency that doesn't have distractions when the Republicans obstruct and attack. Clinton was impeached for lying about getting a blow job. Obama has been assailed from the beginning with accusations that he was born in Kenya and is a radical. In Obama's cased the allegations are unhinged and false but the conservative base eat's up the notion that he, like Clinton, was not a legitimate President.

Reagan, H.W. Bush and Bush had cooperation in Congress -- they did not get everything they wanted to be sure, but they had an opposition that was willing to move forward. Clinton had Gingrich -- that led to a government shut down which in turn set the stage for Clinton defeating Dole. Then the Republicans decided on impeachment. I expect that if Obama wins a second term, the Republicans will look for a reason to impeach. Their recent behavior (let's have our first vote in the House be a resolution not to raise the debt ceiling -- which is meaningless, of course, because the debt ceiling was already raised) would indicate that they would rather see the ruin of the country than work with the democrats.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:39 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Default Do you feel America will get back to normal with a Republican president back in the White House?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Whenever a Democrat has been president in my lifetime, somehow it always feels like a distraction or aberration of some kind. That's been the case with Carter, Clinton and Obama. Somehow, those presidencies didn't feel "normal" or "right".

Do you think that when a Republican gets elected, then America will once again return to its core values?

The last time I felt that way was when Reagan was in office.

The two GOP presidents since then both left office with unresolved middle east wars and the economy in shambles. And that didn't "feel right" to me.

YMMV

Old 01-24-2012, 08:52 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Whenever a Democrat has been president in my lifetime, somehow it always feels like a distraction or aberration of some kind. That's been the case with Carter, Clinton and Obama. Somehow, those presidencies didn't feel "normal" or "right".

Do you think that when a Republican gets elected, then America will once again return to its core values?

Which america? My part of america, largely, still possess those values. White liberal americans do not. Some black americans do, some do not. Mexican americans may or may not, mexican citizens now occupying much of america seem to possess "mexican" values far different from my own. American gays seem to have their own core values different from any of the above groups. Welcome to multicultural america. A republican president cannot change that.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
There are actually wackos out there who believe the country is on the right track with Obama in office. You expect logical and honest answers here?

HA! This should get good.
There are actually wackos out there and on C-D who think putting a republican in office will make everything perfect!!!!

Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
AMEN! Seriously! The GOP is just offering us career politicians with Newt or a corporate raider in Romney who tells us "Corporations are people" too! Republicans favor business while the Dems favor people.

And yet mr obama is receiving more money than god from corporations, some of whom like GE that are shipping american jobs overseas faster than you can say "oh crap." Tell me, just what "people" do you think mr obama is going to favor? Solyndra should have been a "heads up" for you people.

Top Contributors to Barack Obama | OpenSecrets

Old 01-24-2012, 09:02 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Please describe how there was "tyrannical dictatorship"
when Bush had approval from Congress for practically everything.

(I really don't expect an answer.)
That was because both the house and the senate where controlled by repubs thru most of his 2 terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies