Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 05:34 PM

169 posts, read 427,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
It must be nice to be an independant. You get to straddle the fence, taking pot shots at both sides, all while not taking a stance on anything yourself. And that way, when things go right, you get to take credit. And when things go wrong, you don't have to take any blame.

And then you come on message boards and act all snooty about it, like you are above the fray.
hardly. quite the opposite, my friend. I have strong, firm beliefs/stances in all things, they just do not 100% conform with a certain party. I am fiscally conservative, but socially moderate. I am religious, but that is my choice and should not dictate government decisions. On the other hand, government should not shy away from the morals that made this country great. i agree mostly with Republican candidates, but those like on both sides that say everything that will just get them votes, I can't take seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 05:57 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,836,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m48xhp View Post
hardly. quite the opposite, my friend. I have strong, firm beliefs/stances in all things, they just do not 100% conform with a certain party. I am fiscally conservative, but socially moderate. I am religious, but that is my choice and should not dictate government decisions. On the other hand, government should not shy away from the morals that made this country great. i agree mostly with Republican candidates, but those like on both sides that say everything that will just get them votes, I can't take seriously.
You actually sound a bit like a democrat to me. I can't imagine what Republican candidate even comes close to the views you mentioned above.

But I don't mind amending my statement, "It must be nice to be an independant who then comes online BAD MOUTHING BOTH parties and saying members of either are stupid..."

Old 01-24-2012, 06:33 PM

169 posts, read 427,708 times
Quote:
It is a HUGE assumption on your part to think that someone moving away from a liberal state to escape..... I am just commenting on the above posters statement that people moving here are moving to get away from liberals.
Quote:
It must be nice to be an independant. You get to straddle the fence, taking pot shots at both sides, all while not taking a stance on anything yourself.
Quote:
You actually sound a bit like a democrat to me. I can't imagine what Republican candidate even comes close to the views you mentioned above.
Not sure where to start or how to end, just gunna say you are 0 for 3 on your assessment of me. Peace be with you, my friend.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,086,090 times
Texas isn't close to becoming a blue state; if anything we're becoming much more moderate. Something like Florida.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:44 PM

933 posts, read 1,527,119 times
It is my hope that Texas becomes a purple state. It's a dream of mine; both Republicans and Democrats elected to statewide office, a nearly split congressional delegation (that shifts to R or D depending on election cycles) and a state legislature that is nearly split and shifts between Republican and Democratic controlled based on trends and election cycles. I think we're reaching that goal. Texas being turning into a Blue Nanny-State is almost as bad as it now as a Red Wanna-Be Theocracy.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:08 PM

961 posts, read 1,039,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Presidential vote in Texas:
.........Republicans.............Democrats
2008 55.48% 4,467,748 43.72% 3,521,164
2004 61.09% 4,526,917 38.30% 2,832,704

Between the 2004 and 2008 Presidential Elections the Republican vote lost 59,169 voters, while the Democratic vote gained 688,460 voters. Clearly the majority of the growth in voters in the state of Texas are voting Democratic.

The Republican share of the votes in 2008 was 5.61% lower then in 2004
. While the Democratic share of the votes in 2008 was 5.42% higher then in 2004. Clearly the Democratic share of vote is growing while the Republican share is on the wane.

If these trends continue Texas will soon be a blue state.
This echoes my point.....the more mature a city or state becomes the more likely it is to vote democrat because it HAS TO. By maturing as a society it, in parallel, aligns itself with the needs of a democrat platform.

Sorry to say but Texas is a maturing state and this trend will only continue as it continues to mature and face new issues that it has not faced in the past. Democrats typically address these issues while Republicans typically remain status quo.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,827,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Presidential vote in Texas:
.........Republicans.............Democrats
2008 55.48% 4,467,748 43.72% 3,521,164
2004 61.09% 4,526,917 38.30% 2,832,704

Between the 2004 and 2008 Presidential Elections the Republican vote lost 59,169 voters, while the Democratic vote gained 688,460 voters. Clearly the majority of the growth in voters in the state of Texas are voting Democratic.

The Republican share of the votes in 2008 was 5.61% lower then in 2004. While the Democratic share of the votes in 2008 was 5.42% higher then in 2004. Clearly the Democratic share of vote is growing while the Republican share is on the wane.

If these trends continue Texas will soon be a blue state.
Your "trend" represents never before seen levels of hate for GWB, that doesn't indicate that Democrats are actually turning TX blue.

TX will indeed become blue when the number of legal and illegal gimmiegrants outnumber the tax paying citizens of this state. Based on how things are going we'll hit that point eventually but then again, so will the entire country.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:53 PM

20,505 posts, read 33,373,423 times
I think Texas is on its last years of being solidly red. But I think it remains red this November. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 60-40 in favor of the Republican candidate. But the writing is really on the wall. This is where Texas differs from the rest of the South. Only Georgia because of Atlanta is the other Southern state outside of Florida, NC, Virginia, and soon Texas could become a battleground state in the future. However, I dislike that Texas is a solidly red state. I also do not want it to become a solidly blue state. Purple is just fine. Come 2020, Texas can be one of those battleground states and the Republicans cannot afford that for Texas.

What's going to be interesting is that if the Democrats do have at least a solid turnout this year, it's going to have to be in the suburbs. The Democrats have the urban counties. Dallas (people don't realize how Democratic this county is. The Republicans have basically given up hope for this one), Travis, Harris, and Bexar county will become even more blue. Tarrant was red in 2008. But it's trending blue itself. Ft. Bend County is also trending blue. Montgomery, Collin, Denton, and Williamson counties are solid red. If the Democrats lose by just 10-15 % of those votes in these four counties each, you will know right then and there that the Democrats are making inroads into Texas.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:16 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,508,807 times
Quote:
It must be nice to be an independant.
Why thank you!

You are correct. It does seem nice to be able to think independent thoughts.

For most of Texas, I figured those pretty much died at the Alamo.

Quote:
You get to straddle the fence, taking pot shots at both sides, all while not taking a stance on anything yourself.
Aww, no. One thing most independents agree on -- Both of your Corporate Parties Suck and are bad for US. And bad for Texas.

Quote:
And that way, when things go right, you get to take credit. And when things go wrong, you don't have to take any blame.
Close.

But here is the way it really goes down . . . We blame your parties.

And guess what? We are correct.

Quote:
And then you come on message boards and act all snooty about it, like you are above the fray.
Just here to mock you.

It is what we do.

Carry on, now.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:53 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,944,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeturro View Post
Isn't it kind of inevitable? The cities keep growing at a phenomenal rate, transplants from other liberal states are moving in, the typically conservative baby boomers are dieing off, the children of traditionally blue latino immigrants are reaching voting age, etc etc. I honestly dont see Texas being red too much longer.
2020, purple by 2016
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies