Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:02 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNAM View Post
Does anyone feel torn over the race this year because it almost seems like the 2012 Presidential race is becoming white vs. black and as an independent, I don't feel comfortable voicing my opinion. Every time I "like" a republican post on Facebook, I get slammed by all of my African American friends (I have over 50 as friends). I feel like so many people put blinders on because the president is African American and play the race card with any disagreement with the president. I fear for the future of our government and that is why I have chosen to vote against Obama even though I supported him for the first two years of his presidency. Is this even fair when it comes to the voting in the fall? Does anyone feel that so any people are simply protecting, supporting, and voting for President Obama because of his race, without studying one page of his or his opponent's political policies?
Since most of my friends are African-American I generally just respond to select pro-Obama posts. I've learned that if I post anything against Obama as status update , I just get mired in debates with people who I guess at one point in my life I had some respect or affinity for but who really are clueless and lack sufficient reasoning skills.

Still it's quite comical during events like today seeing the pro-Obama posts pop up on my FB feed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:08 PM

57 posts, read 31,194 times
Yeah ? After the speech tonight I was dying laughing at how many people posted about how great he was and I posted

Tired of all the updates about how great the president is
and less that 1 min later I saw 5 posts about racism. One girl even posted that people who want to bash HER president should just delete her as a friend.

I'm sick to my stomach of all the race issues and I don't think anyone has a chance against Obama simply because of the black vote. I'm sure that when his 2nd term is upand he is restricted for running again, we will all be racist because he isn't able to run.....

Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Yeah ? After the speech tonight I was dying laughing at how many people posted about how great he was and I posted

Tired of all the updates about how great the president is
and less that 1 min later I saw 5 posts about racism. One girl even posted that people who want to bash HER president should just delete her as a friend.

I'm sick to my stomach of all the race issues and I don't think anyone has a chance against Obama simply because of the black vote. I'm sure that when his 2nd term is upand he is restricted for running again, we will all be racist because he isn't able to run.....
Less than 12% of the population isn't enough to re-elect Obama, so you can breathe safely.

BTW...are (black) people not allowed to like Obama? Do they have to get your permission first?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
5 more years of this loser. Ron Paul won't even be a viable candidate election after next. Need an Independent party to rise more than ever now or they will FDR this dude in 2016

Old 01-24-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Less than 12% of the population isn't enough to re-elect Obama, so you can breathe safely.

BTW...are (black) people not allowed to like Obama? Do they have to get your permission first?
Anyone can like whoever they want to. I'm just saying that voting for the "brother" because he's a "brother" is just as racist and me saying I'm not voting for a [insert racial slur]. Our government relies on more than just hope and talking about change. Our right to vote wasn't God given, men died for that right in a little something called the American Revolution, and they didn't die so people could come out and say " hey, it's about time we had a black president so let's avoid any policed or moral issues when it comes to picking our president and just vote for the black guy! That is not voting, that is ignorance.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 PM

831 posts, read 680,325 times
Quote:
Does anyone feel torn over the race this year because it almost seems like the 2012 Presidential race is becoming white vs. black and as an independent, I don't feel comfortable voicing my opinion. Every time I "like" a republican post on Facebook, I get slammed by all of my African American friends (I have over 50 as friends). I feel like so many people put blinders on because the president is African American and play the race card with any disagreement with the president. I fear for the future of our government and that is why I have chosen to vote against Obama even though I supported him for the first two years of his presidency. Is this even fair when it comes to the voting in the fall? Does anyone feel that so any people are simply protecting, supporting, and voting for President Obama because of his race, without studying one page of his or his opponent's political policies?

Im nor black or white and yes i have a pair and if barrack was a barry and even if he was white, i'd still vote for him.

What peeves me off is the political policy coming from the right, and that is to obstruct obama at any cost. All this nonsense is coming from the lips off white republicans and so i can understand their (blacks) frustration. In their eyes, they (blacks) see this as oppressing a legit black man who is leaps and beyond better than any typical black man who just cannot get a break. This i feel brings ill feelings back and wakes them up to the fact that, we have come so far and yet have really not moved on.

In the words of a former neighbor of mine "what's it gonna take for a brother to ever get a break around here"?

I dont see obama as a divider of anything like the folks on the right claim, i see him as a person who genuinely cares for the American people, i think with his presidency we can better understand who people really are.

I see that even holding the highest office of the land, can you still be shouted at and be disrespected by being called a "Liar" whilst addressing the state of the union if your skin was anything other than white.
For the life of me, i have yet to read or see any white president be called a "Liar" whilst addressing the nation.

We have an oppurtunity to mend some things in our shady history to take that real leap of faith and work with a man who is neither black or white who has all good intent not only for his fellow Americans but to also heal some of the ill feelings that the world has built up over the years, a lot of ignorrant people see this as being apologetic, i see it as being a proud American and being humble about it.

Then theres the birther crap, whilst you have the likes of mccain who sint ever born in the US and yet they are only too happy to accept him for what? because he is white?

And yes i understand the "fear" coming from the white minority factions, whether they like to admit to it or not is irrellivant, however, the longer you turn a blind eye to this fear than to face it would just prolong the problem.

We cant, as a nation be really equals unless we all play/respect by the same rules for everyone.

I hate the fact that people play the BS regarding obama as being a likeable guy but wont budge on ANY of his policies.
Surely if someone is a "Likeable" guy/gal, this must make it easier and pleasureble environment to work with that person.
It's a complete contradiction and so this plays in the minds of minorities, especially from the black community.

No, i dont believe it's all doom and gloom for there are a lot of whites who choses to see common sense for the common good over personal agendas for their fellow Americans. I just hate the fact that the far right conservatives seem to be more important when the only one thing they are ever interested in is in "themselves"!!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
Im nor black or white and yes i have a pair and if barrack was a barry and even if he was white, i'd still vote for him.

What peeves me off is the political policy coming from the right, and that is to obstruct obama at any cost. All this nonsense is coming from the lips off white republicans and so i can understand their (blacks) frustration. In their eyes, they (blacks) see this as oppressing a legit black man who is leaps and beyond better than any typical black man who just cannot get a break. This i feel brings ill feelings back and wakes them up to the fact that, we have come so far and yet have really not moved on.

In the words of a former neighbor of mine "what's it gonna take for a brother to ever get a break around here"?

I dont see obama as a divider of anything like the folks on the right claim, i see him as a person who genuinely cares for the American people, i think with his presidency we can better understand who people really are.

I see that even holding the highest office of the land, can you still be shouted at and be disrespected by being called a "Liar" whilst addressing the state of the union if your skin was anything other than white.
For the life of me, i have yet to read or see any white president be called a "Liar" whilst addressing the nation.

We have an oppurtunity to mend some things in our shady history to take that real leap of faith and work with a man who is neither black or white who has all good intent not only for his fellow Americans but to also heal some of the ill feelings that the world has built up over the years, a lot of ignorrant people see this as being apologetic, i see it as being a proud American and being humble about it.

Then theres the birther crap, whilst you have the likes of mccain who sint ever born in the US and yet they are only too happy to accept him for what? because he is white?

And yes i understand the "fear" coming from the white minority factions, whether they like to admit to it or not is irrellivant, however, the longer you turn a blind eye to this fear than to face it would just prolong the problem.

We cant, as a nation be really equals unless we all play/respect by the same rules for everyone.

I hate the fact that people play the BS regarding obama as being a likeable guy but wont budge on ANY of his policies.
Surely if someone is a "Likeable" guy/gal, this must make it easier and pleasureble environment to work with that person.
It's a complete contradiction and so this plays in the minds of minorities, especially from the black community.

No, i dont believe it's all doom and gloom for there are a lot of whites who choses to see common sense for the common good over personal agendas for their fellow Americans. I just hate the fact that the far right conservatives seem to be more important when the only one thing they are ever interested in is in "themselves"!!
I can't remember any president getting a break. There's always someone out there thinking they can do the job better. So don't blame it on whites...no one said "now that's just not right for those black people to not vote for Bush it's just plain racist..."

Remember after 9-11 when this country needed retaliation? Enlistment numbers soared...then as people actually started dying in war rather than like call of duty, people started disliking Bush so I don't think it's fair to ask for an easier break on Obama because he's black when in truth every leader has people who dislike him/her. It comes with the job. As for Wilson's YOU LIE remark, no that hasn't ever happened, but just because it happened now doesnt make it an act of racism. That doesn't excuse the act either.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:37 PM

I don't want their to be racial motives on either side of the board. It's ignorant to pretend like there isn't racism on either side and both sides have to break those barriers of color from within before they can break the divider

Old 01-24-2012, 10:58 PM

831 posts, read 680,325 times
Another example i would give you, after obama won the presidency (just a day after), majority of minorities i know were ok with it, majority of whites i know (this from california) were saying "ohh he's not my president".

LMAO, the guy has just won the Presidency, He's not done anything really bad thus far and already folks have said "Obama isnt their president"??? wtf is that all about??

There is a great amount of bigotry coming from a certain sector of society, die hard dinosaurs i call them, they just cannot come to terms that different folks can do as good a job or better than the status quo. If this were NOT true, then why are we hiring nurses from afar or in IT sector? It would be far easier if companies can get and hire highly qualified people here. Hell, no one even wants to do the landscaping jobs that those mexicans laborers will do for cheap.

I'm sure this is nothing but an example.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:00 PM

Well a day after he won the presidency here, there were riots at school where black people were bullying white people around screaming whos the slaves now? So we are obviously living in two different ends of e political and social spectrum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies