Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:14 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Because she's black?
Thanks for the stereotype, like we need more racist comments here.
They didn't say that. You did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 09:15 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Because she's black?
Thanks for the stereotype, like we need more racist comments here.
Well it is true nearly 60% of Black mothers have kids by more than one man.

Through reading comprehension one can deduce there are at least 3 fathers for her children.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:16 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I can't help but feel like this is some sort of sabotage attempt by someone at the NYT. They have a campaign to ask for donations for the needy, so they highlight a family w/ 3 adults still living with their mother, who has children by multiple fathers, is obviously gaming the welfare system, and is encouraging her kids to pursue a child's dream instead of getting a foot into the real world. Really? This is the spotlight that you want to shine on a family "in need."

The best this spotlight does is perpetuate the stereotypes about Black women, dead beat fathers, and lazy youth.
Which is why your namesake posted this story on here in the first place..........

Old 01-25-2012, 09:18 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
Quote:
No, and they're not. They're getting the help they need through the city's programs for low-income families. I just question the agenda of whoever thought that their story was deserving of the spotlight, considering there's still one adult who's financial contribution to their situation is noticeably absent -- the 20 y/o son.
For them to be getting $790 monthly in food stamps....how significant do you think his contributions are? I'd say not very.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:19 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
I can't help but feel like this is some sort of sabotage attempt by someone at the NYT. They have a campaign to ask for donations for the needy, so they highlight a family w/ 3 adults still living with their mother, who has children by multiple fathers, is obviously gaming the welfare system, and is encouraging her kids to pursue a child's dream instead of getting a foot into the real world. Really? This is the spotlight that you want to shine on a family "in need."

The best this spotlight does is perpetuate the stereotypes about Black women, dead beat fathers, and lazy youth.
It definitely seems like an odd selection.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:20 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Do you live in Brooklyn? It's possible that food prices in Brooklyn could be higher than where you live
Brownsville?? The majority of the people who live in that community are on assistance. But they could always hop on a train and go to Costco which is in Brooklyn.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:25 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It definitely seems like an odd selection.
Yea I do think the writer should work on their transparency a little better next time.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:32 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
No, and they're not. They're getting the help they need through the city's programs for low-income families. I just question the agenda of whoever thought that their story was deserving of the spotlight, considering there's still one adult who's financial contribution to their situation is noticeably absent -- the 20 y/o son.
She is low-income, her sons and daughter are no-income. She claims that she was a nurse's aid. She can register with any number of agencies and get work - certified or not - and make well over minimum wage.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:39 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
For them to be getting $790 monthly in food stamps....how significant do you think his contributions are? I'd say not very.
Exactly. And there's no explanation for why his contribution is what it is. I'm assuming the younger son is in still in school, but the other one? It's so noticeably absent that it feels like a set up.

Seriously, this article literally contains on all the worst stereotypes about the Black community.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
$790 a month in foodstamps....and they always run out?

I am from a household of 5... My food bill for the month NEVER goes past $500

I'm sorry...it simply DOES NOT take $790 monthly to feed a household of 5... And I am being generous since you can buy anything in the supermarket with an EBT card. I'm talking junk food, whole food (even organic)...

People in this country are amazing..... In an awful way.
They must live in a food desert. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies