Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 12:10 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
I love this sort of argument.

Look, if you want to pray before school, or before a test, or whatever, then go ahead, just as long as you aren't being disruptive. But please don't ask me to nag your imaginary space-magic dude I've got no interest in talking to my own balled-up hands. Also, it's unconstitutional to demand that school workers get involved in that stuff.
Or you can go to a private Christian school and pray all you want.

For people that whine about big government, they sure want government to get involved in everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 12:15 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
I think that you need to go and READ the Declaration .. before posting.

The DOI uses the words "Creator" and "natures God," neither of which have any relation to the God of Christianity or any other faith. Those were phrases deliberately chosen for their ambiguity so as not to identify the new United States with any religion's concept of God.

In any case, those who suppose this to be a Christian nation founded on Christian principles need to be reminded from time to time that there is only one law in this country, and only one text upon which it is based upon, and that's the Constitution. No religious books of any kind, including the Bible, have any force of law in this country.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:16 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
I love this sort of argument.

Look, if you want to pray before school, or before a test, or whatever, then go ahead, just as long as you aren't being disruptive. But please don't ask me to nag your imaginary space-magic dude I've got no interest in talking to my own balled-up hands. Also, it's unconstitutional to demand that school workers get involved in that stuff.
Yup! I used to work in a public school, and would have been extremely miffed if they forced me to lead a prayer. While I'm Jewish by culture, I'm more Agnostic in my beliefs... and it would be even worse if I were highly religious (Orthodox/Hasidic), as I'd be committing a sin by leading Gentiles in prayer. Also, as I stated earlier, I try to respect ALL people by not forcing unsolicited proselytizing/prayers on them. Why are Christians so greatly lacking in this area?

Old 01-25-2012, 12:26 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Uh, no. Nice attempt at a personal attack, but I wasn't even talking about myself.
Your that poster who always 'seems' to say things that he really didn't say!
(Well, really didn't say what I thought you said)

Quote:
I grew up in a VERY diverse area (Bay Area), where there aren't really any discernible/vocal majorities... so this hasn't been much of a personal issue, except maybe at the hands of City-Data's resident Bible thumpers. I was saying that nobody likes being bullied, which has long been a common Christian tactic.
Again, bullies only bully who they CAN bully so .. either suck it up or Grow a Set!

Quote:
Not very secure in your faith, are you? That's the only logical explanation I can come up with, for wanting to force yourselves upon everyone who believes otherwise. And what's with all the Christians whining lately? Waaaah, they don't let us put up Jesus banners in public schools; waaaah, somebody said Happy Holidays to me at Wal-Mart. Talk about growing a set, I think you guys need to learn how to be strong in your beliefs - without needing constant coddling and reassurance that you're still number one.
I went and looked .. I can't find ANYWHERE .. a statement or post of mine where I proclaimed my beliefs?

I do the 'non christian', forum type, behind the keyboard, in the basement type of bullying

Quote:
P.S. Join the Marines? LMAO. I don't even think they'd take me at this age!
You can try

Old 01-25-2012, 12:28 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNAM View Post
So you don't believe in god or respect for your country?
FYI - it is possible to have respect for our country and to not believe in god. They are not mutually inclusive.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:35 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Your that poster who always 'seems' to say things that he really didn't say!
(Well, really didn't say what I thought you said)
I'm a she, and no I am not that poster... but my statement earlier was a general statement, not one about anyone personally bullying me. Not to say I was never teased in school (who wasn't?), but it never had to do with religion. And I went to a private school, so they probably could have gotten away with it there! Even at my Methodist-founded college, they never forced anyone to participate in prayers or religious studies.

Quote:
Again, bullies only bully who they CAN bully so .. either suck it up or Grow a Set!
That's what we call blaming the victim, and I am not a believer in such a concept. If there were no bullies to begin with, nobody would have to "suck it up," now would they? Those are the morals I will be teaching my children, not to "grow a set" when some loser picks on them. Defend yourself, yes... but NEVER blame yourself for being targeted by bullies, who have no respect for themselves or others.

And where do you get the idea I'm weak, anyway? I don't think a weak person would be this outspoken, and unafraid to speak my mind on the issues with Christians. I've never minced words on that issue, even when speaking with somebody face to face. Heck, I've even confronted (irl) a few skinheads in my time!

Quote:
I went and looked .. I can't find ANYWHERE .. a statement or post of mine where I proclaimed my beliefs?

I do the 'non christian', forum type, behind the keyboard, in the basement type of bullying
Even worse!

Quote:
You can try
No thanks. I've never had any interest in joining the military, and wouldn't qualify for medical reasons anyway... I'm happier (and more suited for) doing my part on the homefront, by educating our youth and serving the public every single day.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The DOI uses the words "Creator" and "natures God," neither of which have any relation to the God of Christianity or any other faith. Those were phrases deliberately chosen for their ambiguity so as not to identify the new United States with any religion's concept of God.

In any case, those who suppose this to be a Christian nation founded on Christian principles need to be reminded from time to time that there is only one law in this country, and only one text upon which it is based upon, and that's the Constitution. No religious books of any kind, including the Bible, have any force of law in this country.
Ahh .. Another non reading .. before they post poster!

I was responding to .. this:
Quote:
In fact, the word God isn't there either.
Better luck .. next time!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:46 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Ahh .. Another non reading .. before they post poster!

I was responding to .. this:

Better luck .. next time!
Alright, the individual word God IS there, but I read in context, and in context it does NOT mean the Christian God.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm a she ..
My guesses as to gender are running about 50/50 then!

Quote:
That's what we call blaming the victim, and I am not a believer in such a concept. If there were no bullies to begin with, nobody would have to "suck it up," now would they?
I blame 'victims' who are constantly making themselves .. 'victims'!

There ARE options and the wish that "If there were no bullies to begin with, nobody would have to "suck it up" option is NEVER going to be one of them!

There are Always going to be Sheep and the Wolves are Always going to eat them!

Hey .. It's the Liberal, Non Christian Darwinists that use the Strongest Survive mantra .. isn't it?

Old 01-25-2012, 12:48 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNAM View Post
If the country was founded on the ideas and beliefs on Christianity why is it that the country continues to bow to minority groups? Is it really a big deal if there is a time for prayer before school or that God is a word in the Pledge? Really? I mean really? People need to get a life and stop focusing on small stuff.
You mean like African-American/black Christians, Hispanic Christians, Asian Christians...?

[those minorities?]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies