Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 12:41 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Me obtuse? I guess you're running around in circles a bit too fast. Hold your horses. It was another post where I responded to your issue with OP. As I see it, the thread is about GOP's presentation of "job creators". Clearly, not the kind of job creators who have been involved in hiring about three million people over last 21-22 years? Are they? But, here, you took a different post of mine, which had a pretty simple question. Let me repeat:

"I didn't see you spell "regulations" and "taxes" there. Was it deliberate?"

In case you missed it completely, it was referring to your response to Frozneyo above. BTW, when it comes to excuses, I firmly believe that losers default to making excuses. Those successful, target success, not whining and finger pointing.

And yet, we have seen more job growth since Obamacare was signed than in three years before it. And yet, we've seen more jobs added since Obama took office than were added in first three years of Bush Presidency... when Obamacare wasn't anywhere in sight. Never mind the thankfulness with which Rick Perry visited this office in Dallas area couple of years ago, for hiring more employees than any other in Texas (and in fact, one of the fastest growing employers in the USA). What he won't tell you is that it was Obamacare that provided the opportunities. That is how "success works". Excuses ain't it.

Perhaps you missed a better excuse?
Look at the title of the thread. The OP was talking about the job creators themselves, NOT the GOP's presentation of said job creators. In reference to your question, I was clearly speaking of personal success. No, regulations generally do not come into play when a person is making decisions about their life choices.

Now, as to a business decision and maintaining a profit margin, regulations can and sometimes do make a difference in the decision to either expand or contract a business.

Only one response to your ridiculous claim that Obamacare is making businesses grow (unless you're a health insurance company). 8.5%. Since when do we celebrate an 8.5% unemployment rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 12:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Cowards? No...

Just anti-American. The jobs they create are in Communist China, not here.
Who is "they" ? The GOP ? Are you saying the Republicans in Congress are "creating jobs in China" ? FWIW the only jobs the government can CREATE are government jobs.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:54 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Cowards? No...

Just anti-American. The jobs they create are in Communist China, not here.
Okay, that makes Apple and GE anti-American, which means Obama is anti-American as well.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:57 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I don't have a source to quote, but I listened to some "talking heads" over the weekend make reference to the Bush-era tax cuts which were made with the assumption, by the GOP, that the money which stayed in the pockets of the corporate types would result in new jobs being created. The opposite happened, though. We had a horrific economic crisis which, partly as a result of the tax cuts, resulted in millions upon millions of people losing their jobs.
I hope you facts to back up your claims or are you just another one running off at the mouth, repeating what he has heard from the left media?

Tax revenues INCREASED after the tax cuts were implemented.

The deficit was DECREASING through 2007.

"Publication: Business Wire
Date: Friday, January 4 2008

More Than 8.3 Million Jobs Created Since August 2003 In Longest Continuous Run Of Job Growth On Record

WASHINGTON -- Today, the Bureau of Labor Statistics released new jobs figures - 18,000 jobs created in December. Since August 2003, more than 8.3 million jobs have been created, with more than 1.3 million jobs created throughout 2007. Our economy has now added jobs for 52 straight months - the longest period of uninterrupted job growth on record. The unemployment rate remains low at 5 percent. The U.S. economy benefits from a solid foundation, but we cannot take economic growth for granted and economic indicators have become increasingly mixed. President Bush will continue working with Congress to address the challenges our economy faces and help facilitate long-term economic growth, job growth, and better standards of living for all Americans.

"The U.S. Economy Benefits From A Solid Foundation

* Real GDP grew at a strong 4.9 percent annual rate in the third quarter of 2007. The economy has now experienced six years of uninterrupted growth, averaging 2.8 percent a year since 2001.

* Real after-tax per capita personal income has risen by 11.7 percent - an average of more than $3,550 per person - since President Bush took office.

* Over the course of this Administration, productivity growth has averaged 2.6 percent per year. This growth is well above average productivity growth in the 1990s, 1980s, and 1970s."

Old 01-25-2012, 01:01 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Look at the title of the thread. The OP was talking about the job creators themselves, NOT the GOP's presentation of said job creators. In reference to your question, I was clearly speaking of personal success. No, regulations generally do not come into play when a person is making decisions about their life choices.

Now, as to a business decision and maintaining a profit margin, regulations can and sometimes do make a difference in the decision to either expand or contract a business.

Only one response to your ridiculous claim that Obamacare is making businesses grow (unless you're a health insurance company). 8.5%. Since when do we celebrate an 8.5% unemployment rate?
I guess your take on use of quotes as in "job creators" prefixed with "GOP's" is very different from mine. Perhaps, right along the lines that jobs have been created over last two years, as oppose to massive job losses over previous two years. Which job creator's are you speaking about? The ones creating jobs, or the ones GOP says is dropping jobs or not creating?

As for regulations, which period do you consider worse?
Jan 2001 thru Jan 2004 (three years under Bush)
Jan 2009 thru Jan 2012 (three years under Obama)

Both periods involve recessions (although, 2001 recession doesn't compare to the debacle in 2008-2009), which of the two periods reflects a longer sustained growth in jobs?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:05 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Who is "they" ? The GOP ? Are you saying the Republicans in Congress are "creating jobs in China" ? FWIW the only jobs the government can CREATE are government jobs.
Then why do you think people like Quick Enough make claims that Bush era created millions of jobs when only 1.3 million jobs were added between Jan 2001 and Jan 2007 per your methodology?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I guess your take on use of quotes as in "job creators" prefixed with "GOP's" is very different from mine. Perhaps, right along the lines that jobs have been created over last two years, as oppose to massive job losses over previous two years. Which job creator's are you speaking about? The ones creating jobs, or the ones GOP says is dropping jobs or not creating?

As for regulations, which period do you consider worse?
Jan 2001 thru Jan 2004 (three years under Bush)
Jan 2009 thru Jan 2012 (three years under Obama)

Both periods involve recessions (although, 2001 recession doesn't compare to the debacle in 2008-2009), which of the two periods reflects a longer sustained growth in jobs?
Well, the post right before your quite adeptly explained that the job growth was much greater from 2003-2007. Thus that answers your questions on that.

I did not make the argument that GOP job creators were cowards for not creating jobs. The OP did. There is some modest recovery but we are still lagging way behind. I've given the reasons for that already. Our growth is still anemic. Do you consider it acceptable because I do not? People just aren't hiring to actually grow anything.

Based on my personal observations, the regulations have increased substantially under Obama, in particular from the EPA. My own business is not affected by the EPA since I am in the IT industry. My husband's is though, as is my brother-in-law's drilling business. Of course, don't take my word for it, look at other businesses and what they're saying. I am not the first to make this claim and I am definitely not the only one to do so.

Right now, one of my biggest concerns is Obamacare. Not sure what this will do to costs because health insurance costs have risen considerably since its passage. It has led me to hold tight to the number of employees I have and not hire additional workers. I am contemplating adding one position simply because I really need the person given the amount of work but I hesitate given my own personal risk adverse position and the risks are indeed higher than I am comfortable with at this moment. I'm a small business, with a very small number of employees. Maybe those costs seem trivial to you but they are NOT to me.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:15 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Well, from this post, it's obvious you're no job creator. Everything in business is a risk reward ratio. When your risk outweighs the reward, you constrict and do not put capital at risk. When the reward outweighs the risk, you expand (e.g. create jobs). Pretty simplistic explanation of it at that.

These businesses, based upon their own risk analysis, are not expanding at this time. The current and possible future regulatory and tax environment is rife with high risk right now.

Do you think just throwing money away without analyzing the risk is how people become successful?? Really, did you think this thread out before you posted?
You sound like one of those socialize the risk privatize the profit prosperity preachers.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
You sound like one of those socialize the risk privatize the profit prosperity preachers.
That would be our government with the banks, GM and lately solar companies. American taxpayers will pay for the losses while the companies get to keep the profits and, in some cases, the money the government originally gave them.

Corporate welfare at it's finest.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
No, I don't believe that at all. I would like to see a flatter tax structure, one that does not penalize or incentivize a business decision. Common sense regulations would good too. I want clean air and water too. I just see these efforts to use regulations as an effort to push purely political decisions. Perhaps I am too optimistic given DC's long track record of making decisions based upon political expediency vice rational reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies