Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:23 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Do they no longer teach basic economics and American government (aka Civics) in school anymore? When I read threads like this, it makes me wonder.
If it was so simple, everyone would know what the causes were and what the solutions should be. I can't think of any system more of a crap shoot than economics. Experts say "going down" at the same time other experts say "going up". There are various schools of economic thought that often disagree with each other. The public is left to theorize on its own. As far as I'm concerned, the system right now is messed up and the vast majority of us are getting the short stick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 01:29 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
If it was so simple, everyone would know what the causes were and what the solutions should be. I can't think of any system more of a crap shoot than economics. Experts say "going down" at the same time other experts say "going up". There are various schools of economic thought that often disagree with each other. The public is left to theorize on its own. As far as I'm concerned, the system right now is messed up and the vast majority of us are getting the short stick.
In all fairness, I was specifically referring to the OP's claim that job creators were not hiring only due to partisan politics. The subsequent discussions on specifics have been more in line with particular economic positions and shown a greater understanding of the tax structure, the economy, and business.

Yes, I agreed with you on another thread. People like me with small businesses are getting pretty screwed in this deal. Between the taxes, the regulations, and the bad economy, I am searching for and welcoming a candidate that will simplify the tax code vice add more complexity.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:29 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
FWIW the only jobs the government can CREATE are government jobs.
You mean to say the highways, television, satelite, cell phone, computer and the internet industry all would have spontaneously created itself? Why didn't it? The oil industry getting a century of loophole subsidy & freebie R&D to the tune of trillions is a figment of imagination? I don't recall seeing historic evidence of whale oil being subsidized. Or the horse and buggy. But when it comes to investing in renewable sources to keep civilization ahead of the day oil is far too scarce to be considered viable to serve humanity... I see destructive behavior reliably coming from the right every opportunity.

Is that conducive to growth? Nope. The GOP can continue praying for failure. Tornadoes, droughts, and environmental nightmares ruining all other industries aren't occuring frequently enough.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:40 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
I did not make the argument that GOP job creators were cowards for not creating jobs. The OP did. There is some modest recovery but we are still lagging way behind. I've given the reasons for that already. Our growth is still anemic. Do you consider it acceptable because I do not? People just aren't hiring to actually grow anything.

Based on my personal observations, the regulations have increased substantially under Obama, in particular from the EPA. My own business is not affected by the EPA since I am in the IT industry. My husband's is though, as is my brother-in-law's drilling business. Of course, don't take my word for it, look at other businesses and what they're saying. I am not the first to make this claim and I am definitely not the only one to do so.
Growth has been anemic since Jan 2001. Do you disagree? If you're blaming greater regulations under Obama, and Obamacare now, what would you like to place the blame on horrible state of economy over eight years prior to that?

I had the EPA argument with an engineer from oil industry in Beaumont, TX, a few months ago. It was far better to do so in person than we can over the internet. But let me just say... I couldn't disagree more. Although according to GOP's version of "job creators", that is exactly the point being made. That EPA is a problem. When wasn't EPA a problem? In fact, EPA was brought about because of problems. I wonder who among the Chinese would prefer they had EPA... the bureacrats/oligarchs, or the people? The more I hear this excuse, the more I see that GOP's "Job Creators" defines the same kind of mentality and "creators" that has put China on the map... and of course, not without its costs. Is it?

I sure don't want the government to issue license to drill near my water supply and deregulate leaving the conditions to the business. Would you?

Quote:
Right now, one of my biggest concerns is Obamacare. Not sure what this will do to costs because health insurance costs have risen considerably since its passage...
It is neither worse, nor anywhere close to the increase in costs we have experienced over last decade. If health care costs and access were "fine", there wouldn't have been a need to do something about it. Again, you're simply regurgitating right wing talking points that was based on premise of status quo and "all is well". The issue of insecurity stems largely from threats by the right wingers to repeal the law, from funding it. This idea could have been taken straight out of a terrorist organization's handbook on "why".

Old 01-25-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Growth has been anemic since Jan 2001. Do you disagree? If you're blaming greater regulations under Obama, and Obamacare now, what would you like to place the blame on horrible state of economy over eight years prior to that?

I had the EPA argument with an engineer from oil industry in Beaumont, TX, a few months ago. It was far better to do so in person than we can over the internet. But let me just say... I couldn't disagree more. Although according to GOP's version of "job creators", that is exactly the point being made. That EPA is a problem. When wasn't EPA a problem? In fact, EPA was brought about because of problems. I wonder who among the Chinese would prefer they had EPA... the bureacrats/oligarchs, or the people? The more I hear this excuse, the more I see that GOP's "Job Creators" defines the same kind of mentality and "creators" that has put China on the map... and of course, not without its costs. Is it?

I sure don't want the government to issue license to drill near my water supply and deregulate leaving the conditions to the business. Would you?

It is neither worse, nor anywhere close to the increase in costs we have experienced over last decade. If health care costs and access were "fine", there wouldn't have been a need to do something about it. Again, you're simply regurgitating right wing talking points that was based on premise of status quo and "all is well". The issue of insecurity stems largely from threats by the right wingers to repeal the law, from funding it. This idea could have been taken straight out of a terrorist organization's handbook on "why".
Actually business was pretty darn good until the housing market crashed. To claim it wasn't would be utterly untrue.

Do you run a business? Have you tried to understand what Obamacare is going to do for your business? I've talked to our provider and it's not looking pretty. Each state is doing something different and then there's the necessary increase in costs by adding all of these high risk people to the insurance rolls. It's a mess and if you say it is not, then you're not looking at the reality of the situation.

As to the EPA, yes, they've been a problem for a while. Just when you thought they were bad enough, they get worse. How is that a good thing?

Old 01-25-2012, 02:13 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Actually business was pretty darn good until the housing market crashed. To claim it wasn't would be utterly untrue.

Do you run a business? Have you tried to understand what Obamacare is going to do for your business? I've talked to our provider and it's not looking pretty. Each state is doing something different and then there's the necessary increase in costs by adding all of these high risk people to the insurance rolls. It's a mess and if you say it is not, then you're not looking at the reality of the situation.

As to the EPA, yes, they've been a problem for a while. Just when you thought they were bad enough, they get worse. How is that a good thing?
A house of cards can make looks things good, while it sticks. But if that is the definition of something strong, be my guest. And you have plenty of company in that regard. Remember, when you count the strengths of such houses, make sure you don't forget the consequences of the inevitable.

Actually, Obamacare has been a boon to our business. It is also a reason why my company has thrived for taking advantage of the opportunities. It is why Rick Perry made a personal visit to applaud hiring of hundreds of Texans (more than any other) while others were shedding jobs. That Obamacare? And I'm not talking about as large corporation either! Although, I used to work for one of the largest companies in America, which did nothing but laid people off, and health insurance costs went dramatically up with reduced coverage and greater out of pocket. But hey, what would I know? I can only speak from my personal experience, as opposed to pull things out of thin air or listen to media personalities about what and how to think about issues they support or oppose.

As for EPA, sorry, I don't value Chinese idea of capitalism and handling of natural resources. But your argument, and every time it comes out of right wing politicians/media, reminds me of great minds who know to take advantage of ANY situation. Soichiro Honda did that in early 70s when that version of GOP's "Job Creators" were whining and complaining that it can't be done. It was a ground breaking move for Honda as a company. THAT is what winners do.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
A house of cards can make looks things good, while it sticks. But if that is the definition of something strong, be my guest. And you have plenty of company in that regard. Remember, when you count the strengths of such houses, make sure you don't forget the consequences of the inevitable.

Actually, Obamacare has been a boon to our business. It is also a reason why my company has thrived for taking advantage of the opportunities. It is why Rick Perry made a personal visit to applaud hiring of hundreds of Texans (more than any other) while others were shedding jobs. That Obamacare? And I'm not talking about as large corporation either! Although, I used to work for one of the largest companies in America, which did nothing but laid people off, and health insurance costs went dramatically up with reduced coverage and greater out of pocket. But hey, what would I know? I can only speak from my personal experience, as opposed to pull things out of thin air or listen to media personalities about what and how to think about issues they support or oppose.

As for EPA, sorry, I don't value Chinese idea of capitalism and handling of natural resources. But your argument, and every time it comes out of right wing politicians/media, reminds me of great minds who know to take advantage of ANY situation. Soichiro Honda did that in early 70s when that version of GOP's "Job Creators" were whining and complaining that it can't be done. It was a ground breaking move for Honda as a company. THAT is what winners do.
Apparently I need to court insurance companies as customers in order to make out well with Obamacare. I'm not seeing an advantage from my point of view. Given the nature of my work, I keep a small full-time staff and surge with contractors for given projects. These contractors generally work at several companies. Did you know with Obamacare that I will have to calculate the hours they work as an aggregate and if they meet a threshold, I either have to offer insurance or pay a penalty? The likelihood, given the nature of my work, is that I have to pay a penalty because I sure as heck can't afford insurance for them all. As far as I'm concerned, that's a tax and that's an increase in costs. Since I do not know all the projects nor all of the contractors I'll have to hire in a given year (albiet I can somewhat estimate), this creates an uncertainty in what I will have to pay for insurance and/or this penalty. This can be thousands and thousands of dollars taken from my bottom line. In case you haven't noticed, business is tough out there right now and while I've survived and even done well, having more impediments in my way does not foster a business friendly environment.

Like I said earlier, I like clean air and water too. But too many of these regulations are based upon gaining political points vice actual common sense. These regulations, besides Obamacare, have not impacted me personally. Just the e-verify, I guess. My husband? Oh definitely. He's in the green (horticulture) industry and works very large commercial jobs. These jobs are estimated very tight in order to win the bids. Just the number of man hours alone they've had to spend on complying with new regulations (from the pesticides to the hyrdoseeder to the irrigation systems and on and on) is astronomical. Oh and by the way, some of these regulations and their verbiage sucks. A lot of them depend upon that particular inspectors interpretation of the regulation. So now he gets to be a mind reader too. How can he plan for that and estimate that in his proposals? You can't. Shoot, his company is one of the only ones that is even still around after this recession so it's not even a matter of lack of demand.

So, yes, I have seen concrete solid proof that this current administration's policies have been detrimental to business. None of our business decisions were based on partisan politics like the OP is claiming. All of them were based on our risk, profit margin, and overhead costs (all of which include taxes, Obamacare, and regulations).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies