Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times

Advertisements

I loved the part where Obama said he would do anything to create jobs after having turned down the pipeline.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
At least he didn't promise them the moon (base)!
He already, took that away from Americans, now we have to get the Russians to promise us!!

Old 01-26-2012, 10:00 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I loved the part where Obama said he would do anything to create jobs after having turned down the pipeline.
The funniest part to me was when he claimed success for the bailouts, and then went on and said no more bailouts..

Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Neither does raising them, but do you want to tell me why tax cuts under both Bush, and Clinton, resulted in job growth then if it doesnt create jobs? What do you think people do with the extra money they have? Hint, they STIMULATE the economy..
I must correct myself. Supply-side tax cuts during demand-shortage do not create jobs. That's the long version.

Our supplies don't have a problem making profit, and they aren't over-taxed, but business for them is down, and fewer people have jobs. The only taxes the GOP has been discussing cutting, are corporate taxes, capital gains taxes, and taxes on the highest bracket. They don't take the rest of the country seriously.

We have a serious demand problem. I've discussed it before, and often. You aren't going to solve a demand-shortage with supply-side economics. The only way to do that, is with demand-side economics. Invest in the people who actually buy ****--the working and middle-class. You can cut taxes on them (they're actually near where they should be). The ones who aren't paying taxes appropriately, are the wealthiest--corporations and individuals.

I'm sure you're well aware that Romney paid an effective tax rate of 13.9%. If Romney was forced to pay the 39% of the 90's--of Clinton's era, that money would be reinvested into the economy through the social programs we have. It necessarily increases the velocity of the economy.

Clinton's cuts didn't come at a time when we had a tremendous demand problem. Our economic woes began in the early 2000's with the growth of the housing bubble. Bush's tax-cuts took place at a time when job-growth was slowing--a result of less demand--and as a result, we accelerated the onset of our depression.

So, the "tax cuts" I'm referring to are specifically the ones aimed at "job creators," who even with tax-cuts, won't be creating any jobs. Our taxes are already some of the lowest they've been in decades, and it hasn't meant dick.

Quote:
What bill or are you just pretending to know what you are talking about? All corporations have a motiviation to reinvest profits, how the hell do you think they grow?
Wages have flat-lined in the past 30 years while the richest members of society have continued to do unbelievably well. These policies have killed the demand in our nation for products. High-taxes on corporations force them to reinvest their income, instead of hiding behind falsehoods like a "risky economic environment." Corporations that invest their money into their wages, research and development, production, manufacturing, etc, are benefit with tax deductions. Lowering taxes only allows the executives to stuff their already bulging pockets with more cash, because they lose it to taxes. Instead of padding pocketbooks, high-taxes force these companies to spend on the economy. Better wages for employees (which are tax-deductible expenses), research projects which they can sell, or at worst, the money is taken off in taxes and redistributed back into the economy where, through social programs, it gains velocity and allows people to do what they do best--spend. Combined with the shallowing of the wealth gap, and everyone prospers.

Many of the wealthy in the nation are just pillaging the rest of us through these policies. They're getting theirs and escaping with the riches. Instead of being responsible businesses and reinvesting into the nation where shared prosperity means great prosperity for everyone, they're just making the fastest buck possible. And they're doing it by advocating tax cuts.

That's the cliff-notes version.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
That would not bother you if Bush was the one giving the order. Obama gave the order. Good decision. The SEALS took Bin Laden out. Good action.

End of story.
At least, President Bush knew the people wouldn't just take his word Saddam and his son's were dead, he showed us.

What was President Obama protecting, surely, not Bin Laden...............

Old 01-26-2012, 11:05 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I listened on the radio, followed by that creep from Indiana. Good grief! No wonder red states are so back assward if this is what leads them. Note the whining from Romney priming that speech too?

The whole lot of them, Gingrich included, could stand to take a bath and get a real job. I'm ashamed they call themselves Christian, male, and American. They're none of the above.

Haha! Best slam of the week!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:53 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Who wouldn't "approve" of the speech? It was a very fine act. It was carefully orchestrated to be a true "ear tickler." He said many right things.

Problem is, it was just an act.

I keep on saying "Obama that fine humor me Actor"

Make a good one would he not!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:23 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
No, his speech was "I'm sick of you right wingers especially the tea party holding up progress, playing political games, and trying to destroy america at every single chance you can. I'm done playing nice, I'm done bending over backwards for you, it's time to stop screwing around, listen to the american people, and get the country back on track."

This is the Obama voters have been waiting for
So you think those on the left in Hollywood loved hearing that you should be taxed 30% if you make a million dollars?

Some how I don't think so.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:32 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,620 times
The title thread is false...the 91% was last years State of Union.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#46157717

Last edited by DraggingCanoe; 01-27-2012 at 03:41 AM..

Old 01-27-2012, 04:22 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
The title thread is false...the 91% was last years State of Union.

Rachel Maddow Show
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies