Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with requiring all schools to serve healthier lunches?
Yes 94 72.87%
No 31 24.03%
Not sure 4 3.10%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
We get reimbursed some funds by the state for sticking to the dietary and fat ratio guidelines. The area really isn't predominantly low income, but there are some families that qualify for free school lunches. We try to incorporate foods the kids like and will eat, while observing the restrictions. We used to serve "foot long" hot dogs, which was a popular lunch, but we have now switched over to the regular sized "light" variety. We started serving a low fat "burrito" this year, and the kids really like them. With the 1 oz. of cheese sauce, it stays within the fat ratio. First time I ever tried a burrito myself, and I found it to be very tasty (though a bit of a pain to fill and wrap 600 of them).

Our large number of ala carte options do cost extra - these are not covered under the standard $1.35 lunch. They are relatively inexepensive, but the kids do have to pay separately for them. This option is only found at the jr./sr. high school.
So is your community paying additional monies via their property taxes or increased lunch prices to cover what you serve ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 08:15 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
If the definition of FASCISM is feeding our kids healthy food choice, I'm all for it. Good, zero out the high fructose corn syrup and feed them a balanced diet.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
If the definition of FASCISM is feeding our kids healthy food choice, I'm all for it. Good, zero out the high fructose corn syrup and feed them a balanced diet.
Well they didn't go that far and HFCS never even came up. Lower sodium, less calories, less fat and one vegetable, one fruit per meal.

Slice of Hawaiian pizza (ham & pineapple topping) and lowfat milk is a healthy lunch.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:26 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well they didn't go that far and HFCS never even came up.
It needs to. in my opinion, HFCS is one of the leading cause of malnutrition/obesity. Much of it is converted to fat.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:30 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
I agree on the HFCS...I won't allow it in my house. We eat a minimum of processed foods at home. We've cut it at school by using less processed foods as well, but the new regs aren't going change that for schools that use heat and serve meals (a big chunk).

Old 01-28-2012, 08:41 AM

Plus anything made with cane sugar today is priced higher. Glad to see it come back though and I look for cane sugar products now. You can taste the difference with cane sugar soda being less sweet.

FYI..Aunt Jemima pancake syrup is 100% HFCS. There is no "maple" in it at all.
Maple syrup, real maple syrup, is 2-3 times the cost of a bottle of Aunt Jemima syrup.

Aunt Jemima—Original
INGREDIENTS: CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WATER, CELLULOSE GUM, CARAMEL COLOR, SALT, SODIUM BENZOATE AND SORBIC ACID (PRESERVATIVES), ARTIFICIAL AND NATURAL FLAVORS, SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE.

Maple Grove Farms Maple Syrup is 100% maple syrup with no preservatives.
Real maple syrup, like honey, does not need preservatives to keep.

It pays to do your research. When I tell people this about pancake syrup they don't believe me.
Lots of folks think Aunt Jemima syrup is maple syrup.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:25 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
It should be left up to the states or local governments.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:39 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm not a liberal, and I was probably voting for republicans before you were born. My tax dollars buy those meals. Why should tax dollars buy junk food, if the whole point of the program is to provide nutritious meals for school children? If you want to eat garbage go for it, as long as I'm not paying for it. As far as "forcing kids to exercise" goes, it's called PE and recess. We've been doing it for generations. Some of you tea party people have ZERO common sense. I'm sick of you.
Why are we paying for food stamps and food lunches. Why are we also providing breakfast and snack and in some places dinner. What the hell is the matter with folks taking care of their own kids?

Old 01-28-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Logic fail. We're talking about government subsidized lunches. There should be some standards.
How about parents providing lunch.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Out of 21 meals a week, five school lunches is ~25% of a student's meals. 10 meals a week (breakfast and lunch) is about half. There is every reason for these meals to be healthy, for modeling purposes in addition to good nutrition at the taxpayers' dollar. Even the kids who pay full price are getting a subusidized meal, something lost on a lot of people on this board.
Why is government providing half of a childs meals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies