Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with requiring all schools to serve healthier lunches?
Yes 94 72.87%
No 31 24.03%
Not sure 4 3.10%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 01:23 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

The issue I have as an example is when the principal basically chastised my nephew for bringing to school and eating a cupcake at lunch.. ohh the horror.
I agree with you on this. It is being overdone. The Principal you mentioned is required by federal school lunch rules to do that. The rules also require that students who bring lunch from home be seated separately from students eating the cafeteria food and the school is subject to massive fines if that doesn't happen. The idea is to prevent "bad" food from ending up in the hands of students eating the government approved menu.

At least, that's how it was explained to me by our local school officials when a similar incident happened to one of my grandkids. I researched those rules myself and the school was right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
yeah maybe, but having pinto beans, collard greens and cornbread taste better and are better for you than that burger on friday.
That's a matter of opinion. Let me tell ya....beans get awfully old, awfully fast!

Old 01-26-2012, 01:34 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
A relative of mine had a kid that was huge for his age. Not fat, just tall and bulky. He used to have to get two lunches.
A lot of the "jocks" - wrestlers, football players, etc. - buy "double lunches" every day, and the other kids, too, if it is something they really like. I'm sometimes surprised to see skinny girls getting double lunches. I've noticed, though, that they "double" everything except the vegetables. There are some "chunky" kids, but I don't see any "obese" ones. I do see lots of "skinny" kids. It seems that the skinny kids' trays are loaded the most - they'll buy the lunch and then supplement it with ala carte items, like fries, a bowl of noodles, etc. This is in a school with six grades, and about 600 kids.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:41 AM

573 posts, read 970,614 times
I'm continually amazed at all the people who are generally against healthy eating. Big Food (and I use the word loosely) companies sure got all you guys jumping whenever they need you to.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:42 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I agree with you on this. It is being overdone. The Principal you mentioned is required by federal school lunch rules to do that. The rules also require that students who bring lunch from home be seated separately from students eating the cafeteria food and the school is subject to massive fines if that doesn't happen. The idea is to prevent "bad" food from ending up in the hands of students eating the government approved menu.

At least, that's how it was explained to me by our local school officials when a similar incident happened to one of my grandkids. I researched those rules myself and the school was right.
We have a "bakery" area in the cafeteria where the kids can buy school baked cupcakes, cookies and brownies. Our cafeteria bakers even make giant chocolate chip cookies to order - like if a kid wants to buy one for his girlfriend for her birthday (they are now taking orders for Valentine's Day). Then again, this is a very small-town school. I can't imagine if our school board started acting gestapo like that - I can imagine a lot of our cafeteria employees quitting.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:55 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
A lot of the "jocks" - wrestlers, football players, etc. - buy "double lunches" every day, and the other kids, too, if it is something they really like. I'm sometimes surprised to see skinny girls getting double lunches. I've noticed, though, that they "double" everything except the vegetables. There are some "chunky" kids, but I don't see any "obese" ones. I do see lots of "skinny" kids. It seems that the skinny kids' trays are loaded the most - they'll buy the lunch and then supplement it with ala carte items, like fries, a bowl of noodles, etc. This is in a school with six grades, and about 600 kids.
I wasn't exactly skinny in school but never had a gut, still don't have one to this day. I was very active back then and still am. I ate a lot then and still eat lot now. Drove my one ex GF nuts because she could look at a cup cake and gain ten pounds.

It's not just the food that is causing the obesity, when I look at my old pictures from school there was one kid that could be called obese and he had a medical problem. There might have been 1 or two per class that were slightly overweight. I think the biggest issue is kids don't exercise enough. They might play a lot more organized sport these days but they still aren't getting anywhere near the exercise.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
I'm continually amazed at all the people who are generally against healthy eating. Big Food (and I use the word loosely) companies sure got all you guys jumping whenever they need you to.
Few are against healthy eating. What many find offensive is REQUIRED healthy eating.

It's not an issue of diet, but an issue of liberty.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
I wasn't exactly skinny in school but never had a gut, still don't have one to this day. I was very active back then and still am. I ate a lot then and still eat lot now. Drove my one ex GF nuts because she could look at a cup cake and gain ten pounds.

It's not just the food that is causing the obesity, when I look at my old pictures from school there was one kid that could be called obese and he had a medical problem. There might have been 1 or two per class that were slightly overweight. I think the biggest issue is kids don't exercise enough. They might play a lot more organized sport these days but they still aren't getting anywhere near the exercise.

Hmmmm. Recess anyone? In most schools, that stops in about 3rd grade.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
I'm continually amazed at all the people who are generally against healthy eating.
If you take my nephew for example he was fed a decent breakfast, cereal (no kids cereal) or a cooked breakfast occasionally. His lunch was usually ham sandwich or something of that nature, piece of fruit, maybe some cut vegetables etc. He ate a cooked dinner every night complete with two vegetables, salad etc. Overall a well balanced diet with a lot of variety.

Do you think anyone is justified in telling him he shouldn't eat that cupcake? Not only is there no issue with him eating that cupcake the schools actions are pretty much saying to the kid his parents are doing something wrong which they aren't.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Hmmmm. Recess anyone? In most schools, that stops in about 3rd grade.
Stopped in fourth grade for me and that was mid seventies. Wasn't referring too that, when I got home from school first thing I did was change and head outside. Bicycling EVERY day, game of football, tag..whatever. It was always something and every kid in the neighborhood participated.

Kids lives are so regimented and parents are so over protective they never have a chance to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies