Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:58 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I read it. I learned, for instance, that some parents are agitating for the abstinence-only sex education that led to Bristol Palin's pregnancy instead of actual informational education about reproduction and avoidance of unwanted pregnancy.

I learned that some parents want to be able to substitute their own religious doctrines for what the schools would otherwise teach. I can't wait until the public schools are teaching faith healing instead of biology; traditional Mormon or Muslim plural marriage as the only normal and moral foundation of the family; creationism instead of biology and evolution; and biblical pi instead of real math.

And all the while it's these religious fundamentalists who are complaining about the dumbing down of the curriculum? It's to laugh.
^^^This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 AM

428 posts, read 486,965 times
For those opposed, there's always the 'opt out' route if they don't want their teenager participating in a sex ed program promoting personal responsibility. I support this concept for our high school students because 1, they'll be adults soon, so topics about sex should be far from taboo, and 2, teens face challenges of the real world with or without sex ed, so why not arm them with information that can protect their health?

Old 01-26-2012, 09:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyouraveragebear View Post
For those opposed, there's always the 'opt out' route if they don't want their teenager participating in a sex ed program promoting personal responsibility. I support this concept for our high school students because 1, they'll be adults soon, so topics about sex should be far from taboo, and 2, teens face challenges of the real world with or without sex ed, so why not arm them with information that can protect their health?
Well many object when that same sex ed with instructions on how to put on a condom comes down to the elementary level.

Sex Ed has been a HS staple for years. But now it's at the elementary level and with more graphic detail and even "show and tell" now with condoms at the schools for those as young as 6.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well many object when that same sex ed with instructions on how to put on a condom comes down to the elementary level.

Sex Ed has been a HS staple for years. But now it's at the elementary level and with more graphic detail and even "show and tell" now with condoms at the schools for those as young as 6.
What schools have sex ed programs where elementary students learn how to put on a condom and 6 year olds are exposed to condoms? This is news to me. I have children and this isn't a part of their elementary-level health ed.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
What schools have sex ed programs where elementary students learn how to put on a condom and 6 year olds are exposed to condoms? This is news to me. I have children and this isn't a part of their elementary-level health ed.
Provincetown, MA.

Not everything is ruled by the Fed. and not every state follows the same curriculum.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,5948098.story

NYC sex ed will have verbal instructions in middle/high school on how to put on a condom..that's 11 years old for a 6th grader.

http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/articl...sex-ed-mandate

Old 01-26-2012, 09:33 AM

For anyone interested in the facts about NYC's sex education program, here you go: Standards/Curriculum for Sex Education in NYC Schools.

Interesting how the anti-sex-ed NYC Parents' Choice Coalition site says this:

Quote:
Do you want your sixth grader visiting www.goaskalice.com?
but the NYC government website says this:

Quote:
I keep hearing about a Columbia University website called GoAskAlice.Com that is referenced in your materials. Do you direct students to this website?

While Columbia University’s “GoAskAlice†website is listed in teacher materials as one of many in a list of possible resources for teachers to utilize, we do not direct students to the website.
What else is the NYC Parents' Choice Coalition lying about?

Old 01-26-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
For anyone interested in the facts about NYC's sex education program, here you go: Standards/Curriculum for Sex Education in NYC Schools.

Interesting how the anti-sex-ed NYC Parents' Choice Coalition site says this:

but the NYC government website says this:

What else is the NYC Parents' Choice Coalition lying about?
LOL..it's in the teacher resources which means they will allow it.
Why would the NYC government say no on one hand and then have it printed in teacher resources as acceptable ? Think about that.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Provincetown, MA.

Not everything is ruled by the Fed. and not every state follows the same curriculum.

Outrage Over Plan To Give Condoms To First Graders - ktla.com

NYC sex ed will have verbal instructions in middle/high school on how to put on a condom..that's 11 years old for a 6th grader.

Elected Officials Speak Out Against NYC's Sex Ed Mandate | RH Reality Check

Now I'm understanding the 6 year old and condoms thing better. It's not that they were going to have to take a sex ed class where the teacher shows them condoms. The condoms would be in the nurse's office, where any student could ask for one and also get abstinence advice from the nurse. That is sad the school heads think there's a need for such thing. Now I want to learn more about this.

From the article:
Quote:
Patrick said Singer explained that despite the wording in the new policy, it would be applied more practically. She told the Globe that if an elementary school student requests a condom, the nurse would ask the student a series of questions and almost certainly deny them.
Hmm, sounds like maybe the plan was to lure a kid who's thinking of being sexually active to the nurse's office so the nurse could try to talk the kid out of having sex instead of really giving out that condom. Sounds hokey. Why not just send the parents a letter home about this subject, like have parents be welcomed to a meeting on early sexuality and how to help their child avoid risky behavior. With kids that young, some of whom aren't even interested in sex yet, put the power with the parents, not with the school.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Now I'm understanding the 6 year old and condoms thing better. It's not that they were going to have to take a sex ed class where the teacher shows them condoms. The condoms would be in the nurse's office, where any student could ask for one and also get abstinence advice from the nurse. That is sad the school heads think there's a need for such thing. Now I want to learn more about this.

From the article:

Hmm, sounds like maybe the plan was to lure a kid who's thinking of being sexually active to the nurse's office so the nurse could try to talk the kid out of having sex instead of really giving out that condom. Sounds hokey. Why not just send the parents a letter home about this subject, like have parents be welcomed to a meeting on early sexuality and how to help their child avoid risky behavior. With kids that young, some of whom aren't even interested in sex yet, put the power with the parents, not with the school.
But first grade ? I just can't see any justification to allowing that in elementary. If the school is that concerned about 6 year olds then send a note home...don't make condoms available in the nurse's office.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
LOL..it's in the teacher resources which means they will allow it.
Why would the NYC government say no on one hand and then have it printed in teacher resources as acceptable ? Think about that.
I take it to mean that when they say students aren't directed to the site, but teachers can use it as a resource, that it's just a resource for their lesson planning. I presume there are curriculum standards for sex education just like any other subject and the teacher will have to abide by those standards. A site like Go Ask Alice has information a teacher would find relevant for her students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies