Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:26 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You act almost happy that this happened. To me it's a tragedy. Our citizens are shooting each other on the streets.

I'm happy that the victim was able to defend himself from a vicious unlawful assault. Our citizens are not shooting eachother in the street. POS thugs are being stopped from committing crimes by lawful citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 11:27 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I have the same thoughts...talking is one thing,but the second that I think that the talking is over then the situation for both of us will change rapidly.

As I stated,I despise a thief or a bully with a passion...luckily I live in an area that hates them too and where everyone knows everyone else...if a person's home or car gets broken into all they have to do is wait a few days and everyone knows who did it...most around here skip SOP and instead of calling the law,they handle it themselves...which is usually VERY unfortunate for the one who done wrong...judges give them a slap on the wrist,these guys give them a few cracks in the skull and knees with a axe handle or Pick axe handle(aka a "store bought billy club" around here) and the thief/bully ends up moving to another town....I've watched it over and over.

You can choose to be a victim or not in most cases,but I want to at least HAVE that choice to make.

In my neighborhood we all watch each others back. It's a private community, so someone has to practically die before the cops come back there. I mean, they come through every once in awhile, but still my neighbors and I aren't going to allow any crap to go down. Not where we live. And as to your point about the neighborhood handling it themselves, I can appreciate that, as the cops can't always be there at a moments notice. The moral here should be don't mess with someone elses family, or their property if you're not prepared to accept the consequences that could come with it.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:28 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,273 times
Quote:
You act almost happy that this happened. To me it's a tragedy. Our citizens are shooting each other on the streets.
I don't take any joy from any loss of life, but the man was defending himself and could have been killed by those thugs. I come from a country where thuggery like that is commonplace. It's no joke and no amount of sympathy for the perpetrators will fix it. Sometimes hard justice is called for to deal with mindless thugs who think they own the streets and are above the law.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:29 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
I have the same thoughts...talking is one thing,but the second that I think that the talking is over then the situation for both of us will change rapidly.

As I stated,I despise a thief or a bully with a passion...luckily I live in an area that hates them too and where everyone knows everyone else...if a person's home or car gets broken into all they have to do is wait a few days and everyone knows who did it...most around here skip SOP and instead of calling the law,they handle it themselves...which is usually VERY unfortunate for the one who done wrong...judges give them a slap on the wrist,these guys give them a few cracks in the skull and knees with a axe handle or Pick axe handle(aka a "store bought billy club" around here) and the thief/bully ends up moving to another town....I've watched(participated when was neccessary) it over and over.

You can choose to be a victim or not in most cases,but I want to at least HAVE that choice to make.

Oh yes....if handing over a wallet won't end the encounter and the perp chooses to escalate things I'm prepared to go to the next level.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:35 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
What would make the country a better place would be if society supported the mothers and the children when they are very young, up to 5 years old and maybe this problem doesn't happen to begin with.

The problem with this country is the way people think.

I am in favor of better schools and especially pre-school programs and use the money saved from less prisons and police.
HA. Clueless.

-

Keep in mind too folks, chances are that this one act of violence has prevented numerous future acts of violence by the perpetrators.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:36 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
In my neighborhood we all watch each others back. It's a private community, so someone has to practically die before the cops come back there. I mean, they come through every once in awhile, but still my neighbors and I aren't going to allow any crap to go down. Not where we live. And as to your point about the neighborhood handling it themselves, I can appreciate that, as the cops can't always be there at a moments notice. The moral here should be don't mess with someone elses family, or their property if you're not prepared to accept the consequences that could come with it.
Exactly...if you don't mess around,you won't get hurt.

These families around here go back generations and the vast majority are scots/irish...they believe in honor still and a thief has no honor in their eyes and therefore he has no value to them.

A coon dog's life is worth more to them.

My shop alarm was being repaired a couple of years back by the alarm company that I bought it off of ...it also has an outside siren....the Tech repaired it and then fired it off and within 2-3 minutes there were a half a dozen older men in pickups sliding up in my parking lot...every one of them had a pistol and wanted to know what the problem was...that's the beautiful thing about living around good people.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Exactly...if you don't mess around,you won't get hurt.

These families around here go back generations and the vast majority are scots/irish...they believe in honor still and a thief has no honor in their eyes and therefore he has no value to them.

A coon dog's life is worth more to them.

My shop alarm was being repaired a couple of years back by the alarm company that I bought it off of ...it also has an outside siren....the Tech repaired it and then fired it off and within 2-3 minutes there were a half a dozen older men in pickups sliding up in my parking lot...every one of them had a pistol and wanted to know what the problem was...that's the beautiful thing about living around good people.
Thats also one of the great things about living in your neck of the woods.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I believe in lawful right to self-defence, but I don't think you know what castle doctrine is. I am not sure if Pennsylvania has already adopted the "stand your ground" law or not. If they have then the guy probably walks away a free man, but if they have not adopted it, he will have to show that he made an attempt to retreat first.
See post #48 .

Old 01-26-2012, 11:42 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Quote:
What would make the country a better place would be if society supported the mothers and the children when they are very young, up to 5 years old and maybe this problem doesn't happen to begin with.

The problem with this country is the way people think.

I am in favor of better schools and especially pre-school programs and use the money saved from less prisons and police.
When we subsidize a behavior, we get more of it. If we reward irresponsibility and poor decision making with government bailouts, then the incorrect behavior isn't changed and the problems only get worse. This is true in economics and it's also true with social programs. It's not the job of society to raise other peoples' children.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:42 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I don't take any joy from any loss of life, but the man was defending himself and could have been killed by those thugs. I come from a country where thuggery like that is commonplace. It's no joke and no amount of sympathy for the perpetrators will fix it. Sometimes hard justice is called for to deal with mindless thugs who think they own the streets and are above the law.
I just think we need to think differently. Instead of more guns and prisons, how about attacking the problem at the root? We have to find ways to support parents who are too poor, too overworked, too overwhelmed to give their children a good upbringing that allows them to join gangs.

I do not believe people are born to be in a gang and break the law. I believe that society is failing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies