Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:13 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
There are also obscure laws on the books about not eating ice cream on Sunday in some places.

What is your point?
Those weren't obscure laws, they were the laws of the nation. My point is, you don't understand the meaning of "Traditional Marriage". You claimed women weren't property and couldn't be legally raped in the US. Yes, actually they could.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:14 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Seriously, who cares. I don't.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Sorry, but U.S. law has always stated as marriage between one man and one woman. Nice try, though.
Actually, polygamy used to be legal, so it was one man and multiple women.

Quote:
What do you mean they weren't obscure laws? Explain.
White only marriage, women being property of their husbands, legal marital rape, etc. were the laws of the land. They weren't some bizarre law hidden in the law books of certain states. They were applicable to the entire nation, and were followed consistently. Until the Supreme Court ruled them unConstitutional.

Do you really think this "One man, one woman" argument holds water in a nation that didn't even want black people to marry, and had no problem allowing husbands to rape their wives who were viewed as property? One man, one woman exclusively is just another of the archaic, outdated social constructs of a backwards culture.

Same-sex marriage has existed for most of human history. It's now legal in what, 11 countries, and soon to be 8 or 9 US states.

The United States is way behind the times. It amazes me that you think the fact that the most Free and powerful nation in the world can't even progress faster than South Africa on this issue is a good thing.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
I agree, unfortunately, you are preaching to the choir. Nowhere in this thread or any other will you find me obsessing. The problem lies with those who become incontinent, defensive and go into attack mode against anyone that does not embrace all things homosexual and has the nerve to voice their opinion on the subject.
Do you think all views voicing their opinions about something should deserve respect? If we started threads on why blacks being slaves was a good thing, and Hitler was right with the Jews, do you think those views would deserve anything but scorn and ridicule?

Not all opinions are created equal.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:40 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,316 times
Default Barney Frank plans to marry

I never knew... I guess I had it coming?? well he gave it to us in the arsh now he is taking it in the behind...

where is he now??

"WASHINGTON — Retiring Rep. Barney Frank, a gay pioneer in Congress, said Thursday that he will marry his longtime partner, Jim Ready"

Rep. Barney Frank plans to marry his longtime partner in Massachusetts, no date set - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/congress/rep-barney-frank-plans-to-marry-his-longtime-partner-in-massachusetts-no-date-set/2012/01/26/gIQAq9qBTQ_story.html?tid=pm_politics_pop - broken link)

Old 01-28-2012, 08:46 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...d-another.html

Please use the search feature before starting new threads.
The last turned hate-filled and was closed.
Based on your OP, I assume this will be closed soon, too.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:55 PM

379 posts, read 813,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
"WASHINGTON — Retiring Rep. Barney Frank, a gay pioneer in Congress, said Thursday that he will marry his longtime partner, Jim Ready"
I saw him playing kissy face on c-span when Bush was in office, but not with Jim Ready. Alright, he wasnt actually throwing a kiss, or kissing somebody, but he said something to I forget who, someone he was working with on a congressional hearing. He came out of the closet right on c-span

Last edited by mash potato; 01-28-2012 at 09:08 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 09:00 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
I never knew... I guess I had it coming?? well he gave it to us in the arsh now he is taking it in the behind...

where is he now??

Rep. Barney Frank plans to marry his longtime partner in Massachusetts, no date set - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/congress/rep-barney-frank-plans-to-marry-his-longtime-partner-in-massachusetts-no-date-set/2012/01/26/gIQAq9qBTQ_story.html?tid=pm_politics_pop - broken link)
So what if he is getting married. Why are you making fun of it? Wow, our country will never get rid of prejudice. How sad is that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies