Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 03:41 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,613 times

Advertisements

Where the war on drugs crosses the line is when nonviolent offenders are busted and thrown in with violent offenders. People who support such laws are more morally bankrupt than the users themselves and I would rather see THEM in jail than some poor kid who rolled a joint, smoked some dust or slammed some h.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 03:42 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
1. Figure out how to keep it out of the hands of minors 100%.
2. Figure out how those who do partake and make themselves as pickled as drunks can be held responsible for the mess they're making (along with drunks). Forcing all of civilization to navigate around them as they abdicate responsibility/ competence for citizenship isn't working out.
3. Figure out who is at risk for becoming an addict and set up prevention plans for them.
But all those things apply to alcohol, too.
We should either ban booze or legalize (on a sliding scale) drugs.
If we tolerate alcohol in society, there is no reason why we cannot do the same for pot.

I would rather that we spent the excessive monies that we now do in building prisons into rehabs for addicts.

Drugs are so commonly available in our society that pretty much everyone who wants to try a drug already has. I don't believe that there will be an increased demand if the stuff were legalized. It still would screw up families and jobs and leave empty people around, but they would have chances to turn their lives around (it usually takes many of these attempts before a person can do this), not a conviction on their record.

I hardly touch alcohol and could not care less about the other drugs. It is just that the money thrown around in the drug world is, to me, more of a corrupting influence on our society than the addicts. It corrupts police, officials of every sized town, the armed forces, and a lot more than I have knowledge of, I'll wager.

We are seeing entire nations south of our border who are dependent upon drug sales in the US. These countries are totally ruined because of drugs. I think the same thing is happening here, and all because of the supposedly moral stance of our leaders, some of whom are probably profiting. It's a sick situation and must stop.

Last edited by goldengrain; 03-04-2012 at 03:54 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 11:35 AM

753 posts, read 843,059 times
More and more folks are waking up to accept that the "War on Drugs" is a failure and not winnable.

The War On Drugs Has Failed « The Talk Radio News Service
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...rica-drug-war-
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...d_the_drug_war

Old 03-21-2012, 11:43 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Where the war on drugs crosses the line is when nonviolent offenders are busted and thrown in with violent offenders. People who support such laws are more morally bankrupt than the users themselves and I would rather see THEM in jail than some poor kid who rolled a joint, smoked some dust or slammed some h.

I agree. Me personally, I support the legalization of pot 1,000%! With the other drugs, I think you're playing with fire, and a complete dumba** for messing with coke, heroin, meth or some of that other dumb s***! But still I'd rather try and help those people get their act cleaned up, and on track than throw them in jail, and slap a record on them, in which it might as well be a life sentence, because good luck finding a good job! Granted, they have to want help, and we can't save everyone. However; locking up users isn't doing anything to fix the problem.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:46 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,670 times
Legalize everything, take some of the former police resources and dedicate towards pt. b (drug recovery).

Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 AM

753 posts, read 843,059 times
More News on Ending the Drug War

Debate On Ending The War On Drugs Gains Momentum - Toke of the Town

Commentary: The bigger problem: drugs or drug war? | The Town Talk | thetowntalk.com

Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Useless war on drugs (http://newsminer.com/bookmark/18063568-Useless-war-on-drugs - broken link)

Branson says end war on drugs by legalising it | Firstpost

Waging a legal

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/31/2...been-lost.html

Old 04-01-2012, 10:15 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
That is your right as is mine to oppose ending the war on drugs.
How do you figure you possess the authority to tell another human being what they can and cannot consume?

Old 04-01-2012, 10:32 AM

359 posts, read 329,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
That is your right as is mine to oppose ending the war on drugs.
Sorry brother, but your time is over. Things aren't supposed to stay the same forever.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:43 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
We could start by immediately ending the federal prohibition of marijuana, and go from there.
But that wouldn't amuse the high $$$ BigPharma(Take a Pill!) or alcohol(Have a Drink!) lobbies.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
What would it truly take to end the "War on Drugs"?

How can we regain our liberty from the government when they have so many jobs wrapped up into it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/03/us...drug-laws.html

Purpose of Drug War : Provide Employment for Cops | Liberty Thinkers
It will never end. Too much money involved from both sides (bad guys and good guys). It's a thriving industry and the government is thriving off it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies