Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:13 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,205 times

Advertisements

Aside from the gross oversimplification, here in DC the opposite occurs. The majority of the college educated, professional class is transplanted here from throughout the country. Many come from small towns and rural areas, and veterans here are a sizable population. They tend to look down on locals, especially if they live in the eastern parts of town.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:16 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEssex View Post
small town folks? I grew up in the shadows of NYC, a stones throw away. People in NYC (Not single out NYC,imagine same happens in other big cities) often consider themselves 'cultured and wordly', To the point where many would often look down on those from simpler walks of life or smaller towns. Some of my buddies that I met later in life from small towns in Gerogia and Tennesse served their nation overseas, and in doing so saw alot of the world. One of them even learned Arabic and Afghani languagesand had many dealings with tribesman in Afghanistan, yet if you heard him talk he has a slow drawl. So I ASK what makes one more wordly and cultured, going to a museum in the safe confines of a US cITY while sipping chai lattes, or actually going out in the world and getting your boots dirty?
In a word, arrogance.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,464 times
Really, this same stupid Real American crap. It was dumb when Palin used it a few years ago and it doesn't improve with age.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
People from NYC think they are better cultured than the rest of the world. it's not so much a big city attitude as it is a New Yorker attitude.
No truth to that whatsoever. That's a lie.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:16 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
I can't and won't speak for anyone else. I have different standards than most people in large cities, so I am more comfortable in small towns. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong, just makes us different. My basic feeling is, I won't invade your city, and please leave my small town off your map. We like it the way it is and don't need anyones improvements.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:23 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,849 times
Quote:
small town folks? I grew up in the shadows of NYC, a stones throw away. People in NYC (Not single out NYC,imagine same happens in other big cities) often consider themselves 'cultured and wordly', To the point where many would often look down on those from simpler walks of life or smaller towns. Some of my buddies that I met later in life from small towns in Gerogia and Tennesse served their nation overseas, and in doing so saw alot of the world. One of them even learned Arabic and Afghani languagesand had many dealings with tribesman in Afghanistan, yet if you heard him talk he has a slow drawl. So I ASK what makes one more wordly and cultured, going to a museum in the safe confines of a US cITY while sipping chai lattes, or actually going out in the world and getting your boots dirty?
So you are meaning to tell me if I go to any small town in Nebraska, 80% of the people there would be able to speak Arabic or Pashtun?

Old 01-26-2012, 09:35 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
small town folks? I grew up in the shadows of NYC, a stones throw away. People in NYC (Not single out NYC,imagine same happens in other big cities) often consider themselves 'cultured and wordly', To the point where many would often look down on those from simpler walks of life or smaller towns.
It's not so much that big cities like NYC are more cultured and worldly. It's more that small towns are usually boring places with not much to do and very little opportunity.

What percentage of people even live in small towns that are not part of a metropolitan area anymore?

Old 01-26-2012, 10:31 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,134,706 times
At the height of Palin-mania, it was all the rage to be uncultured and ignorant. Anyone with an education, who read actual books, who was left of Ronald Reagan politically, was branded an "Elitist" and looked down upon by the very same constituency you're trying to posit as a victim here, which makes this post pointless and hypocritical.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:20 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Where are you coming up with the idea that all big city dwellers, are cultured.
Please define Cultured to me, this phrase means different things to different people.

Cultured as learning things from a different Country. Their behaviors, their beliefs, their music, the foods they love, their arts, their literature, the morals of the Country, the customs, the language. The learned habits of a certain Country and the traditions.

What exactly, i know many who live in a big city and in a small city. What distinguishes to you if someone is Cultured or not.

I think that of no one, no people i know who live in a big city, feel that they are cultured if they are not. Please define your idea of cultured.
And i happent to know many who live in small towns that are just as cultural as big city dwellers, i don't get this post. Many people who live in small diverse towns travel and expereince life in other Countries, are highly intellectual, into the arts, the different languages, the foods etc.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:06 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
Living in a small town and only coming across fellow white people your whole life isn't worldly. Living in a small town and only coming across fellow white people until the age of 18, then joining the military, meeting fellow military members of all walks of life, meeting people overseas of all walks of life, IS worldly.

Living in a city, especially New York or Chicago or places on the west coast like San Fran, you will meet people of many cultures and see much culture in the form of the arts, food, etc. Businesses in cities are usually employed by people of many cultures.

So yes, city dwellers tend to be more cultured than rural folk.

Not saying it makes you a bad person if you aren't worldly, it's just a matter of environment.
I'm afraid I must disagree with you. Yes, I have lived in a big city. And, I find that the "more cultured" and "Worldly" is actually more like being self-centered, egotistical, and a sense of being more than they are. To the point that one of those "worldly" and "cultured" individuals from South Philadelphia insisted that my address in the Kensington Section of North Philadelphia was in the middle of the river.

Many of those "cultured" and "worldly" individuals from the big city are actually living in a self-elevating" dream world. And, some of them are also idiots as a result of that. They'd cut off the branch they're standing on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies