Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 03:16 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I don't mean to go off topic, but I think the only people who rant about moving the retirement age up to 70 are 25 year olds. They have absolutely no clue what aging is like, and they think they're going to stay young forever.
Some days I wish the retirement age were 55! The mind is willing, but the joints doth protest, LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 05:27 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Some days I wish the retirement age were 55! LOL!
It wouldn't help me. I'm 67 and still have to work!

Old 01-27-2012, 05:40 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I don't mean to go off topic, but I think the only people who rant about moving the retirement age up to 70 are 25 year olds. They have absolutely no clue what aging is like, and they think they're going to stay young forever.
Yeah, I thought that, too!
Now that I'm old as dirt, I'm not as smart (nor do I see things in black/white, mostly gray) nor as certain about anything.
But I can retire in 3-5 years if I choose.
Or now, if I want to stay on vacation in Thailand.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:16 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
She's old and fat. Oh...and wealthy.

Go away already.
I didn't realize that "perceived" advanced age, body habitus or wealth were valid reasons to "go away". Hilary's contributions to public service should serve as an inspiration to others. She will no doubt, continue to contribute to the greater good in whatever she pursues.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I think this depends on the job and the person. I kid you not, i know people in their 70's who could run circles around anyone. A couple men, and a couple women. These people do not even look their age, would like to know their secrets.
They are into exercising, the outdoors, music, dancing etc.

Todays seventies is not like yesteryerars fities. Someone recently said this to me, todays seventies is not your grandma seventies.

In hillary's case she is tired, and has plenty to retire on.

Infact we recently had a older waitress, that ran circles around the young gals, and she was good at her job, and fast.
We actually wanted her over the younger gal, who did not know what the hek she was doing.
Depends on the job and the persons situation. But i can understand why so many feel the way they do.
Do you mind my asking how old you are c-j, and what kind of work you do? Waitressing you do for a few hours a day. Sec. of State is a 24/7 kind of job.

I know plenty of 70 yr olds who hike, bike, dance, etc. But they're not doing it 24/7.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:01 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
I think it's interesting because there has been speculation as to her future. Her stating that she is tired and needs rest has implications in other areas.

Either way I wish her well.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:13 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zembonez View Post
she would have made a better president then obama.
+1

Old 01-27-2012, 10:16 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
She's a hard worker and has done a great job. I don't blame her for wanting to take time now to attend to her personal life and still work for the greater good in goals that are important to her.

As for age 70--yeh, I know a FEW who still have the energy and good health to work part time into their 70s. It seems to be in the genes, you have it or you don't.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:18 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I never cared for Hillary or Bill and the thought of her in the White House sends chills up my spine.

However, I have to admit she's been a stellar Secretary of State. It seems as though that's the job she was born to. Frankly, I'm more than a little surprised at how well she's soldiered for the President, given the acrimony of their campaigns in '08 and her unbridled ambition, but she's proved herself worthy of the office of SecState.

Hat's off to Hillary for a job well done.
Why? Bill Clinton is the best President we've had in the last twenty years, and I'm not even a Demorcrat.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:19 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I never cared for Hillary or Bill and the thought of her in the White House sends chills up my spine.

However, I have to admit she's been a stellar Secretary of State. It seems as though that's the job she was born to. Frankly, I'm more than a little surprised at how well she's soldiered for the President, given the acrimony of their campaigns in '08 and her unbridled ambition, but she's proved herself worthy of the office of SecState.

Hat's off to Hillary for a job well done.
I agree. I have a much better opinion of her now than when she was first lady. She was awful in that previous role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies