Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you view Maturo's comment?
Racist and unacceptable 19 17.27%
In bad taste, but not racist 34 30.91%
Just a joke. People need to lighten up 57 51.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 06:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Imagine if the reporter had asked what are you going to do for the "black community" instead and the Mayor had responded with "I'm going to have some fried chicken & watermelon".

I would have laughed!
Not because I'm racist. Because I too love Fried Chicken & Watermelon and I got the joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 06:23 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
If you cannot laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

A narcissistic, thin skinned, society, is not going to be united as a nation and that is exactly what our central government needs to become more and more powerful, playing on the very things they incite.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:41 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
I can't imagine that many Mexicans in Connecticut. I would think more Puerto Ricans. The statement is ignorant fbecause Puerto Ricans do not really eat tacos. If he said I am going to go home and eat rice and beans or Flam it would have been more appropriate.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:57 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I would like to ask the 49% who voted for "just a joke & people need to lighten up" a Question.
Imagine if the reporter had asked what are you going to do for the "black community" instead and the Mayor had responded with "I'm going to have some fried chicken & watermelon".
The man is clearly a insensitive boob and yes I'm hispanic as well.
Okay, I imagined it and still think it was a joke, and people need to quit being so sensitive and trying to turn everything into racism.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Really easy to say when you're a group NOT on the receiving end of these "jokes."

White people whining about political correctness is just their way of protesting not being able to get away with racist **** anymore.
I'm Black.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I can't imagine that many Mexicans in Connecticut. I would think more Puerto Ricans. The statement is ignorant fbecause Puerto Ricans do not really eat tacos. If he said I am going to go home and eat rice and beans or Flam it would have been more appropriate.
Yet Puerto Ricans apparently don't mind being lumped together with Mexicans and Central Americans under one big label as though they are the same. They would have the exact same "issues" they were trying to demand the mayor give in to for them.

When you insist that all "hispanics" have issues - isn't it more ignorant?

Certainly some Puerto Ricans don't think exactly like "hispanics", some might care about other issues like the future of this country, the national debt, the jobs and not even want Spanish as the national language or more welfare for hispanics.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
EVERYBODY eats tacos. I've seen Puerto Ricans eating them. They eat hamburgers also.

When you speak of "hispanic" issues, you generally mean Mexican and Central American issues. Puerto Ricans aren't sneaking over the border illegally demanding legal status be handed them. We all know what "hispanic" issues are -- amnesty, Spanish, and more programs for Spanish speakers especially the new arrivals. Open borders with their nations and unlimited immigration of "their people", but that doesn't apply to Puerto Ricans because they are part of the USA.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:15 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Really easy to say when you're a group NOT on the receiving end of these "jokes."

White people whining about political correctness is just their way of protesting not being able to get away with racist **** anymore.
The backlash against PC-Ness is just beginning. People are getting sick and tired of having every little thing they say scrutinized for being a possible "racist".

Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Its alway great to hear from people who don't have to worry about being racially profiled. I would expect you to be ok with it. Just so you know, for us minorities, we aren't going to like it, but me saying that doesn't matter to you because you are white and will never be harrased by police because of the color of your skin. If you want to know why the race card is still being played, its because we still have racism.
Bullspit !!! I may not have been harassed by police for being white, but I have been discriminated against numerous times at my last place of unemployment for being white in a place where the majority were hispanic. If you don't call getting in trouble for things the hispanic workers always got away with racism, then I don't know what is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
If you are going to insult an ethnic community, don't get upset when you get heat for it. If you don't have a problem dishing it out, you shouldn't have a problem taking it also.
We take it all the time. We get called "whitey", "gringo", "******" etc..the difference is you don't see us throwing tantrums about it for a couple of reasons. Number one, we just don't consider it that big a deal. To me it's akin to grade school children or siblings pulling the "He said this to me.....wahhhhh" or "She looked at me funny....wahhhhh".

The other reason is because we aren't ALLOWED to complain. Otherwise we're racist. So stick it !

Old 01-29-2012, 11:59 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm Black.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:36 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times

i ran over that taco bell dog - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies