Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:33 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,108 times

Advertisements

Was working today when my employer was speaking to a client, and mentioned that Lesbianism is popular in middle-school and all the rage.

According to her, or at least her "sources," girls are running around in middle-school and getting frisky with one another.

Now, it sounds like total horse droppings, and the fear-mongering of one conservative mother to another, but--anyone else hear anything of this kind?

Nothing notable on the interwebs, figured anecdotal is my only measurement.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I imagine some girls might jump on the "edgy" bandwagon and claim to be lesbian to avoid getting frisky with the boys. Or maybe to stand out. I know a few of my sons gal freinds played around with various lables, without actually acting on any of them, in the early HS years. Fast forward to age 21 and that's long forgotten. A couple thought they were vampires too so you know...lol

Old 01-26-2012, 10:02 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
My sister teaches middle school, and sometimes at dances, they'll dance with one another to try to tease and lure the boys in. Blame it on MTV, The Real World, Jersey Shore, if you want. At the end of the day, it's just girls teasing boys. Same s**t, different tactic, new generation. Some of this behavior might be genuine, but maybe only 10 - 20% of the time. No big deal.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
My sister teaches middle school, and sometimes at dances, they'll dance with one another to try to tease and lure the boys in. Blame it on MTV, The Real World, Jersey Shore, if you want. At the end of the day, it's just girls teasing boys. Same s**t, different tactic, new generation. Some of this behavior might be genuine, but maybe only 10 - 20% of the time. No big deal.
I'm not particularly worried about it, I was just aghast that my employers were treating it as some kind of pandemic.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Was working today when my employer was speaking to a client, and mentioned that Lesbianism is popular in middle-school and all the rage.

According to her, or at least her "sources," girls are running around in middle-school and getting frisky with one another.

Now, it sounds like total horse droppings, and the fear-mongering of one conservative mother to another, but--anyone else hear anything of this kind?

Nothing notable on the interwebs, figured anecdotal is my only measurement.
Yes, it's true. I asked my daughter why she was hanging around boys instead of having friends of her own gender and she told me that most of the girls were lesbians. I found this rather shocking since at that age they shouldn't be having sex with anyone - I asked her how she knew they were lesbians and she said they say they are. I asked her how they knew they were and she said then she thought they pretend to be more than anything - and the pregnancy and abortion rate are sky high in the schools here so I have a feeling it's more something they say and pretend because they think it's cool.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:43 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times
Sex play among same sex and sexual experimentation among young people is hardly new. Androgyny and non-fixed-gender sex (bisexual behavior) were fashionable as counter-cultural statements back in the punk days, too.

I'd assume that some of the behavior is just because it's perceived as being cool. It's "cool" to go against societal norms, even if in "going against the flow" you're just "going with the flow" among your peers.

I'll play the old fart now and say, "it's just a stage they're going through."

Old 01-27-2012, 07:00 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
My middle daughter told me later in her life that she was 'friends' with girls when she was in middle school.

Today, she married (to a man) and has two kids.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:44 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Please, when I was in middle school back in the mid 70s, we danced with each other all the time, as most of the boys were too backwards to ask us.
Nothing new there.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:49 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Look at what they are watching on TV? No one screens what their kids watch anymore, why wouldn't curious teens act out on these ideas? Like it or not, TV is over represented by gays for whatever reason.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:52 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
I have two middle schoolers and three high schoolers (boys). I think this is silly. I think some of the wilder high school girls might kiss another girl at a party for shock value (again, MTV) but I've been organizing and chaperoning jr. high dances for years, and most of the kids are just starting the stage of dancing boy/girl, vs. having sex with anyone. If a girl that young is sexually active, I'm betting she's a molestation victim acting out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies