Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:37 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Apple is more secretive about its supply chain in China than almost all of its rivals, according to a new report by anti-pollution activists who accuse the company's products of degrading the environment and poisoning workers.

In recent years, more than 3,000 children have been diagnosed with unsafe levels of lead in their blood in a series of heavy-metal contamination outbreaks near smelting plants. Many of the facilities provided materials used in the batteries and casings for foreign IT firms.
None of the 29 firms in the survey obliged their suppliers to disclose details of waste discharges, though there were big differences in their responses to public inquiries and reported environmental problems. Apple was ranked – alongside other major consumer electronics firms – as the least willing to provide data or to answer questions about suppliers.

The authors say Apple's suppliers have been involved in breaches of environmental regulations. The report noted waste discharge violations in recent years at several Chinese firms that are thought to be part of Apple's supply chain.
Apple secretive about 'polluting and poisoning' supply chain, says report | Environment | The Guardian

Steve jobs was a god according to his cult like following that forever sings his praises. I never give anyone this kind of blind devotion and I have managed to survive wihtout owning an Apple product (imagine that). But, let's get real. Jobs was no hero and just as most other people in his category, profits came before ethics, humanity and decency. As long as Americans contunue to worship the superficial products and the people that manufacture them, we reveal just how lacking in depth, common sense and decency we are.

When Jobs bit the dust, I wondered why he had not manufactured in the USA as I could not understand the praise I heard for a person that outsources a huge amount of jobs. Now I realize that he could not have gotten away with the horrible level of toxicity that the production creates.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 01-27-2012 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 10:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Apple has very little to do with the pollution in China.
It was there before Apple contracted work there.
And is Apple the ONLY US company to contract mfg work in China ?

The pollution exists there because the Chinese government allows it, not because Apple allows it.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Apple has very little to do with the pollution in China.
It was there before Apple contracted work there.
And is Apple the ONLY US company to contract mfg work in China ?

The pollution exists there because the Chinese government allows it, not because Apple allows it.
Apple has much to do with the pollution that they produce.
It was there, therefore it is acceptable to add more?
Because all companies are distgustingly greedy and irresponsible, Apple is correct in following suit? That's integrity!

The main point of my post was to show how a person that was, by no means, adding to the real humanity on the planet, is raised to god like status among dumbed down Americans.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 01-27-2012 at 10:58 AM..

Old 01-27-2012, 11:15 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Apple secretive about 'polluting and poisoning' supply chain, says report | Environment | The Guardian

Steve jobs was a god according to his cult like following that forever sings his praises. I never give anyone this kind of blind devotion and I have managed to survive wihtout owning an Apple product (imagine that). But, let's get real. Jobs was no hero and just as most other people in his category, profits came before ethics, humanity and decency. As long as Americans contunue to worship the superficial products and the people that manufacture them, we reveal just how lacking in depth, common sense and decency we are.

When Jobs bit the dust, I wondered why had not manufactured in the USA as I could not understand the praise I heard for a person that outsources a huge amount of jobs. Now I realize that he could not have gotten away with the horrible level of toxicity that the production creates.
A report from anti-pollution activists? What more could one expect here?

Old 01-27-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Apple has much to do with the pollution that they produce.
It was there, therefore it is acceptable to add more?
Because all companies are distgustingly greedy and irresponsible, Apple is correct in following suit? That's integrity!

The main point of my post was to show how a person that was, by no means, adding to the real humanity on the planet, is raised to god like status among dumbed down Americans.
Plenty of clothes designers and home decorating designers were outed the same way with child labor issues in China.

The laws in China allow it. Companies go for the cheapest cost to produce.
It is what it is.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
A report from anti-pollution activists? What more could one expect here?
How ridiculous to deny the toxicity that manufacturing of electronics produces just for the sake of denying it and being oppositional.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Plenty of clothes designers and home decorating designers were outed the same way with child labor issues in China.

The laws in China allow it. Companies go for the cheapest cost to produce.
It is what it is.
...and once again...is this status quo acceptable and to raise a perpatrator, Steve Jobs or otherwise to hero status? Give him credit for his ingenuity, but he should have been called out many times for the business practices. That is my point.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:34 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:

When Jobs bit the dust, I wondered why had not manufactured in the USA as I could not understand the praise I heard for a person that outsources a huge amount of jobs. Now I realize that he could not have gotten away with the horrible level of toxicity that the production creates.
One could say the same thing about Walmart...people worship that store.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
...and once again...is this status quo acceptable and to raise a perpatrator, Steve Jobs or otherwise to hero status? Give him credit for his ingenuity, but he should have been called out many times for the business practices. That is my point.
I believe many are at one point or another. But, as usual, it hits the news and dies very quickly. Since it's all happening in another country people here in the US simply don't care. It's the NIMBY attitude.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
One could say the same thing about Walmart...people worship that store.
I totally agree and my past posts prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies