Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 01:41 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Guess you missed the part where I said "you should speak English to run for office." Try reading before responding next time, please.
And THAT wasn't in the post of yours I quoted.

Try reading before quoting and responding next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 01:47 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I wonder how she got on the ballot to begin with if she doesn't speak any English.
Unfortunately in this country a person NOW can get a JOB without speaking English....why not give them everything else!!!

Old 01-28-2012, 02:16 PM

912 posts, read 1,332,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Unfortunately in this country a person NOW can get a JOB without speaking English....why not give them everything else!!!
Most definately no english needed in America anymore besides,when you vote you can vote in spanish.It will only be a matter of time before the hispanics will be the majority and we will have a hispanic president .I can predict what will happen ...spanish as an official language .

Old 01-28-2012, 02:21 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Heee! I remember vividly when it was great fun for you folks to chide Canada overtwo official languages! Haaar! All the stuff in the grorcery stores here in Florida have TWO languages on them already. Gett'n a major kick out of all this.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Y'alls knowledge of history would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.
There has been more than one eye-roller in this thread.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:38 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Education is a local issue and is to serve the needs of the local population.

The town she is in is on the border of Mexico. Spanish is mostly spoken there. Furthermore, this area (much like the Rio Grande Valley and Laredo areas in Texas) are largely ignored by their respective state capitols.

Oh, and I do apologize for accusing you of being a Republican.

And yes, the situation does disturb me. I look at it differently, but it is what I do for a living.
Education most certainly is not a local issue. Education is of national concern. No one should ever graduate from high school in America without being capable of reading, writing and using the English language at at least a tenth grade level. If this is what you do for a living I am quite shocked that you could believe otherwise.

She's lazy and her local school is a complete failure.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:39 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
The State of New Mexico just celebrated its centennial year as a state in the union of the United States and the vast majority of Hispanics here who settled this land from Spain 400 years ago, and most of whom had not encountered an English speaker until well into the 1900s, barely speak Spanish as a second language. Sure, 1st generation immigrants often have a hard time with the new language, but their kids are usually bilingual and their grandkids speak English. I'm not too worried about the dominance of English.

I am far more concerned about the bastardization of English by the rappers and their Anglo admirers who do whatever they can to seem like they grew up in the ghetto.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:59 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I wonder how she got on the ballot to begin with if she doesn't speak any English.
Have you ever noticed speaking English is only when it's convenient? The same way saying "No speak English" is convenient???

Old 01-29-2012, 12:38 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You should learn English before relocating too the USA. We've got plenty of people throughout the world who are intelligent, capable of learning -- yet the people we're bringing in the largest numbers are the least capable of learning.

Why not have immigration laws that select for the most capable, the more intelligent?
Not a bad idea.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:45 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
I don't see a real problem with her running. Don't conservatives favor local control of government?

What if the majority of a city speaks Spanish as their primary language? It would seem preposterous to insist that all of the city council members speak English only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies