Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 06:09 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,376,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I didn't read the article but I know it is virtually impossible for a heterosexual male to get infected with HIV through vaginal sex. Have a nice day.
Oh dear.

That's probably what all those millions of men in Africa thought. Then when they did get HIV, they believed another myth - that raping a virgin baby girl would cure them.

Please educate yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 08:45 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,725,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Your article is not from the WHO, it's from an online newspaper.
Here is the interview on the WHO website:

WHO | D for diagnosis and E for everything else

In some countries like the US there is a higher percentage of HIV/AIDs amongst MSM who have unprotected sex as well as Intravenous Drug Users etc, but worldwide, it's predominantly transmitted by heterosexual sex.

What I said doesn't go against anything said by the WHO.

The Global HIV/AIDS Pandemic, 2006

Women, HIV and AIDS
You said 75% of AIDS is spread through Hetrosexual sex, and that's not true. Not even close. And you have nothing to back it up.
Here's the direct quote from WHO, again:

Quote:
Kevin deCock, the head of the WHO's department of HIV/Aids said there will be no generalised epidemic of Aids in the heterosexual population outside Africa.
Dr deCock, an epidemiologist who has spent much of his career leading the battle against the disease, said understanding of the threat posed by the virus had changed. Whereas once it was seen as a risk to populations everywhere, it was now recognised that, outside sub-Saharan Africa, it was confined to high-risk groups including men who have sex with men, injecting drug users, and sex workers and their clients.
I think I'll trust someone who has spent 25 years researching over someone who makes up numbers on the internet.

Some experts place the risk of males getting HIV through hetrosexual sex in the US somewhere between 1 in 2 million to 1 in 5 million.

Obviously that doesn't mean anyone should be stupid. There many other dangerous STDs.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:34 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
You said 75% of AIDS is spread through Hetrosexual sex, and that's not true. Not even close. And you have nothing to back it up.
Here's the direct quote from WHO, again:

I think I'll trust someone who has spent 25 years researching over someone who makes up numbers on the internet.

Some experts place the risk of males getting HIV through hetrosexual sex in the US somewhere between 1 in 2 million to 1 in 5 million.

Obviously that doesn't mean anyone should be stupid. There many other dangerous STDs.
The WHO quotation doesn't provide information on transmission rates of HIV, only that certain groups are "high-risk." Notably, sex-workers and their clients--many of whom are heretosexual couplings, are included in the high-risk category. They wouldn't include heterosexual sex couplings if it was, as you say, 1 in 2 million or less chance of contracting the virus.

Wikipedia lists the following as transmission rates.

Blood-transfusion is listed at 90%.
mother-child childbirth (et al) is 25%.
Drug use is 0.67%
Anal intercourse is between .065% to 1.7%
Vaginal intercourse is between .1% and .05%

None of those are anywhere close to 0.00000005% necessary to substantiate your claim.

The numbers come from a few different (http://ad-teaching.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/zbmed/LWW/gv023/00007435/00007435-200201000-00007.pdf - broken link) sources.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:31 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
No, I am not wrong. I think you need to check your sources for honesty and integrity. Even wiki has let this report stay, but even if they were owned or managed by a biased source, I do know what I am talking about. Look at this.....

Gay-related immune deficiency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You are wrong and I'm not going to discuss epidemiology with someone who believes in chemtrails, New World Order, and HAARP causing earthquakes.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:52 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,248,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
You are wrong and I'm not going to discuss epidemiology with someone who believes in chemtrails, New World Order, and HAARP causing earthquakes.
LOL

Old 01-30-2012, 08:03 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
AIds was reportedly created by Military Scientist in Ft Dietrich Maryland in 1969 and gradually put out into the population as a means of population control and to do away with undesirables in Society. One of the first possible releases of the virus was in the 70's under the guise of a some sort of flu-pneumonia shot for East Village Gay Men.
'reportedly'?

the first confirmed death due to HIV infection was from a guy who died in 1959.

An African HIV-1 sequence from 1959 and implications ... [Nature. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI

Old 01-30-2012, 08:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
AIDS had to originate somehow. If not by monkey sex, how?

AIDS is spread by anal sex with fluids and blood mixing.
In some cultures monkey meat is considered a delicacy. A wounded monkey bites someone trying to butcher it, the monkey is bleeding, the person is bleeding, blood transfer occurs?

Old 01-30-2012, 08:57 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Blood transmission, when a monkey bit somebody and both of them bled from the encounter? Just a guess, but it seems more logical than "monkey sex."
I just read an article from 2006 where the scientist was saying it could have jumped from chimps to humans during a hunting trip. Seems when humans hunt chimps, they do the butchering while still in the fields, with a lot of blood flying around. If the hunter had any open sores, they could easily have become infected.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:00 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
In some cultures monkey meat is considered a delicacy. A wounded monkey bites someone trying to butcher it, the monkey is bleeding, the person is bleeding, blood transfer occurs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I just read an article from 2006 where the scientist was saying it could have jumped from chimps to humans during a hunting trip. Seems when humans hunt chimps, they do the butchering while still in the fields, with a lot of blood flying around. If the hunter had any open sores, they could easily have become infected.
Goes to show why eating animals so evolutionarily closely related to us (and not to mention cannibalism) is a bad idea.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Are you serious? Does he not understand that animal to human transmission happened through a BITE, and that ANY sharing of blood or saliva can cause transmission of the disease, no matter who or how you're doing the sharing? I can't believe someone is that ignorant 30 years after the AIDS virus was discovered.
Well, that is the *official* story isn't it? I suppose you believe everything das government of Amerika (CDC, WHA, FDA) tells you.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies