Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
And many (22%) of those who pay nothing, are retired. Do you want them to get a job just to pay income tax?
I don't think there are enough wal-marts needing greeters. (and i doubt that they would pay enough)

Some are teenagers, who make a very small amount. I guess they should quit school to work full time?

Others are people who are making $100,000.....
(Who's not paying federal income tax?)

Of course some working folks have the opportunity to get the same deductions as everybody else.........if you want them to pay a tax, Im sure every one else will thank you.

A couple with two children earning less than $26,400 will pay no federal income tax because their $11,600 standard deduction and four exemptions of $3,700 each reduce their taxable income to zero. The same dedications as every household with two kids gets, including billionaires.

The distraction is using the 47% don't pay taxes at all. It appeals to the "I-dont-like-them-people-who-are-not-what-i-see-in-the-mirror" crowd.
Draw your own conclusions.

Can you read? I said I think everyone should be paying even less taxes...period, all income levels. I certainly don't want those living below the poverty level paying more. That was in no way my point so get off your high horse before you fall and hurt yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 09:30 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Nice spin.

Add SS and Medicare to that little "they pay nothing" fallacy.

Dont forget city and state taxes which of course vary wildlly.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:33 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
The point is you're providing partial data and trying to make a comparison. I'm certain you could care less. You want reliable information I provided a link -- irs.gov. Plenty of people are smart enough, no matter how often you belittle them. The question is whether or not they have the monetary means to pay a whole slew of accountants and tax attorney's to avail them every means of reducing their tax burden. The fact that you think folks shouldn't pay taxes for benefit's provided by the State is stupendous. It's a ridiculous assertion.

No one said taxes should never be paid by anyone, but if the government were not wasting trillions of dollars on total waste and corruption, worrying about paying more taxes would not be an issue. I am not concerned with raising taxes on anyone, I am concerned with balancing the budget and cutting waste...something this president has been absolutely horrible with and has expanded beyond belief.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:02 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Nice spin.

Add SS and Medicare to that little "they pay nothing" fallacy.

Dont forget city and state taxes which of course vary wildlly.
Everyone should pay some FEDERAL income tax no matter how much they earn. This way they would also be concerned about runaway spending.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:28 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Buzzards, even if Romney's figured included payroll taxes, which I have not researched, $106,000 / $42,000,000 is 0.0002. Now take 7.65% of $106k. The number is so small it's irrelevant.

Now do the same math with the middle income families on your chart. You posted a chart which mathematically proves the assertion of the OP.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:34 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
you are right, and to see well educated news people spew this kind of lie is behond believe. do they think Americans are that ignorant. someone should put A STOP TO THAT KIND OF NEWS reporting. its propaganda nothing less!!!
It isn't just our news outlets, it's our president who lies about this.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Buzzards, even if Romney's figured included payroll taxes, which I have not researched, $106,000 / $42,000,000 is 0.0002. Now take 7.65% of $106k. The number is so small it's irrelevant.

Now do the same math with the middle income families on your chart. You posted a chart which mathematically proves the assertion of the OP.
Try doubling that, the self employed pay both sides of FICA. I already told you just under $30k...

That why you're wrong, you didn't do your homework, as some that has paid BOTH sides of FICA of over 30 years, FYI, it is called self employment tax, Schedule SE, I know he included those SE taxes into the taxes he paid.

FACT, mittens added his FICA taxes to his effective federal tax rate. Just like I do and just like all Americans do.

See we don't live in a test tube, we live in the real world, when we look at our tax bill we don't ignore the FICA taxes we pay.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:49 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post

He's out of step with the populace and you're defending an untenable position. The tax laws need to be reformed.
How much of the populace spent their childhood in Jakarta?

Old 01-29-2012, 01:37 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The spin machine has been out in full force distorting the truth about Romney's income tax return rate, which is slightly under an effective rate of 15%.

97% of Americans pay less than an effective income tax rate of 15%.

47% of American households pay an effective tax rate of 0% or even make a profit off of income taxes.

Maybe Romney should/could pay more...but the spin that he pays less than the common American is a lie.

Furthermore, ALL Americans pay 15% on Dividends...additionally Democrats like JFK and Bill Clinton have encouraged investing through means like lowering the dividend tax rate, as they believed that investing helps the economy.
The capital gains rate is just under 15%. Income tax rates are as high as 35%. What is really killing us is the fact that the Federal Reserve Banks is transacting bailouts at such a rate that inflation is all but out of control! Today for example I went in to Whole Foods and biscuits that used to be $1.29 are not $1.79! All their baked goods went up a LOT according to the people in that department. That is over a 40% increase!

Imagine if all groceries went up 40% over night for all Americans? What if they went up 200%? Meanwhile the interest rates are kept at next to nothing by the same banksters.
So there is no way to grow your saving...s and the stock market just stays in a range so you can't really do that well there. You certainly aren't going to see your whole portfolio go up 40% in a few months, that is for sure!

Last edited by emilybh; 01-29-2012 at 01:45 PM..

Old 01-29-2012, 02:23 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
So you're not deducting employment taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies